Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM

6,842 posts, read 11,608,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

Notes like, "Pull door hard to lock door" or "Lift handle up to lock" or any actual instructions that makes your house different from other houses, is ok, but not stupid, obvious instructions.
Notes like this might also bring attention to the fact that the house may have deferred maintenance issues. Kind of like "please jiggle the toilet handle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 AM

248 posts, read 676,108 times
Quote:
Personally, I find notes like that condescending. It's like you think we're idiots and don't know how to respect someone else's property. With or without a note, you're still going to have the occacional light left on. Is it that big of a deal? Buyers know to take their shoes off if they're wet and dirty. They wouldn't walk through their own house with nasty shoes, they're not going to walk through your house with nasty shoes.

Notes like, "Pull door hard to lock door" or "Lift handle up to lock" or any actual instructions that makes your house different from other houses, is ok, but not stupid, obvious instructions.
I would think the opposite. For me its a sign that the current seller/homeowner really cares about the house and therefore might have done a good job maintaining it during his/her years living in the place.

Plus in this day and age people need to reminded of common courtesy.

Even if it comes off as condescending, I'd rather the owner be protective of his/her property then not. If I am interested in buying the place I want to make sure the previous owner treated it like I will potentially treat.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM

15,603 posts, read 40,539,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Notes like this might also bring attention to the fact that the house may have deferred maintenance issues. Kind of like "please jiggle the toilet handle."
I've had listings where the door locks were just weird or hard to lock. If you want doors locked and they aren't normal, you leave a note. I've sold every house where I've left notes on how to secure a door with no trouble.

Respect goes both ways. If you have something unusual with a house you need to respect that agents and buyers might have other showings scheduled and don't have 10 minutes to jiggle locks to get things closed.

OP, booties. Isn't it common in your area to have agents put a box of booties with a sign that says "remove shoes or wear booties."

Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,136,643 times
My agent left all kinds of notes and stuff still would not be left "just so."

Lights off after a 9 am showing, doors unlocked or ajar (!), TV remotes in far rooms, kids toys left out, toilet unflushed!

People are human, unfortunately. It's part of why this process sucks.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,805,709 times
I always have a box of Hospital Shoe covers and a convenient chair or bench if necessary.

Some homes are just that nice and the extra step is greatly appreciated by the owner.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,754,655 times
I know it's always a contentious issue, but I really hate the "Please remove shoes" thing. No one in my family or circle of friends has a no-shoes rule, I grew up in a family where being properly dressed included shoes, and I'm often wearing shoes that are not easy to simply slip off/on (multiple little straps/buckles, knee high lace up boots, etc). And not everyone provided a suitable place to sit while doing so.

I've also stepped on broken glass before in a "remove your shoes" home, and had to have a glass sliver removed at the ER. That incident also required stitches. So I'm pretty gun-shy about slipping off my shoes.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:17 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,859,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I know it's always a contentious issue, but I really hate the "Please remove shoes" thing.
I hate this too, and don't remove my shoes, unless it's a rainy day. Sorry, but we have a backyard to view and a garage to view, and I'm not walking those areas without my shoes. The house is on the market, and they need to expect people walking in their house.

So many of my clients read signs like those, look at me and ask if they really have to. Buyers hate doing it. As a seller, you might think it's something little, but as a buyer, it's an inconvenience to tie and untie shoes at each house, and it's a ridiculous request. Buy a vacuum cleaner!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:34 PM

10,185 posts, read 7,850,596 times
Quote:
I hate this too, and don't remove my shoes, unless it's a rainy day. Sorry, but we have a backyard to view and a garage to view, and I'm not walking those areas without my shoes. The house is on the market, and they need to expect people walking in their house.

So many of my clients read signs like those, look at me and ask if they really have to. Buyers hate doing it. As a seller, you might think it's something little, but as a buyer, it's an inconvenience to tie and untie shoes at each house, and it's a ridiculous request. Buy a vacuum cleaner!
Wow, sorry, I don't agree at all. That's is just disrespectful to someone's property. Don't walk all out in the yard and then come back in without removing your shoes. I don't want dirt and crap all over my floors. You don't own it so until then respect the seller's requests. That's just common respect for other people's property.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,694,805 times
I guess we've been lucky. Without the calls to schedule and business cards that are typically left, I'd never know that anyone was ever in my home. The only time I ever had an indication was when I saw two Cheerios at the door. I figured someone with a toddler might have stopped by and it was kind of cute.

I don't mind when people ask that buyers remove shoes. Many of the houses I look at now have that request and hospital booties nearby. Even though I am a buyer, I am also a guest. If I want to wear my shoes in the house and get dirt on the white carpet then that option is just an offer away...

Old 07-31-2013, 03:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,859,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Wow, sorry, I don't agree at all. That's is just disrespectful to someone's property. Don't walk all out in the yard and then come back in without removing your shoes. I don't want dirt and crap all over my floors. You don't own it so until then respect the seller's requests. That's just common respect for other people's property.
Then it would be your fault for not having a mat at your door? If there's a mat, shoes are easily wiped off before re-entry into a home.

Don't you get it? You are supposed to make things easy for a buyer to see your house, not make them jump through hoops. The more hoops you make a buyer jump through, the worse they imagine negotiations will go with you, and the more they'll decide to pick another house to not have to deal with the sellers that are obnoxious. To buyers, this is a very personal decision, and many buyers want to like the sellers of the house they buy. If they don't like the seller, they'll move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate