Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,223,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

On February 17, 2012, the market in Denver flipped to a "sellers' market". Yes, overnight.
I can't let this one go. What exactly was special about that date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM

17,725 posts, read 29,936,113 times
Default I made it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I can't let this one go. What exactly was special about that date?
I just picked a day in February.
But, the market did change around that time and it really flipped. No one saw it coming. Not one pundit nor any real estate agents.
We went from buyers looking at 100 houses and making low ball offers to looking at one and offering close to (or at) list.
In spite of this huge change, prices have not gone up much. See Case-Shiller: Denver home values up 6.9% | Inside Real Estate News
Inventory has also plummeted to about 40% of "normal".

Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,273,882 times
Default You are correct - good luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I called a home owner this morning at 9:30 for a showing on New Years Day at 10am. I thought it would get declined, and they readily accepted the appt. They want to sell, and that means accommodating. I think it's "the" house for my buyers too. Been on the market 3 days. You don't list if you don't want to show your house.
You hit that on the nail.

Repeat.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,293,573 times
I scheduled a showing today that had a 4 hour advance notice. I scheduled it at 11:30, planning to show at 4 PM. That showing was declined.

Since we were in the area, I took clients past the house to determine if we wanted to come back to it after New Year's.

We noticed the house next door was for sale. I called, made the appointment on the spot and showed it to my buyers. This is their top choice and they may be making an offer on it.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I scheduled a showing today that had a 4 hour advance notice. I scheduled it at 11:30, planning to show at 4 PM. That showing was declined.

Since we were in the area, I took clients past the house to determine if we wanted to come back to it after New Year's.

We noticed the house next door was for sale. I called, made the appointment on the spot and showed it to my buyers. This is their top choice and they may be making an offer on it.
Sometimes you just can't show it. What if they had a family get together and there were 20 people there at the time? Life happens.

I don't recall ever turning down a showing when I sold and in fact the person that bought my last house came at 8PM. We packed everyone up and drove around for 30 minutes. No big deal. But I can definitely imagine a few situation where we would have said no.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM

505 posts, read 766,655 times
Quote:
Sometimes you just can't show it. What if they had a family get together and there were 20 people there at the time? Life happens.
It's all about priorities. If they are serious about selling they shouldn't be planning these types of things. If nothing else, there is going to be a lot of clean up to do to get the house in "show ready" condition before the next day. I will concede there may be some circumstances where you would turn down a showing, but at least they should propose some alternate times

If the seller really wants to sell and get the best price they need to be accomodating... and that can mean early morning or late evening showings. If they aren't that serious about or want to leave money on the table, it's their loss

When we were showing our house, I don't think we ever turned down a showing, even if someone called and wanted to come over in an hour. Not everyone did that and then they wondered whay their house sat or they got low ball offers

Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM

I actually called the listing agent and left a message that our showing was declined. I also let her know that my buyers were here to BUY and were going to make an offer TODAY so if there was any way that we could see that house, we'd take it!

While we were looking at the house next door, the sellers who wouldn't allow us to see their house were out in the yard, putting out pine straw! So...they chose yard work over having their house shown???

And WHY a 4 hour notice???

Makes ya wonder how serious they are about selling!

I have found in all my years of being a Realtor that if sellers are that difficult to allow showing of their house, they tend to be difficult to work with, in general!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
It's all about priorities. If they are serious about selling they shouldn't be planning these types of things.
That is just absurd. No birthday parties, family get togethers, etc. the entire time you are trying to sell your house in case someone wants to see it that particular time slot?

What if your young child was very sick? Would you just say too bad kid, let's get bundled up in the middle of winter?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM

17,725 posts, read 29,936,113 times
Default Well, yes

Quote:
That is just absurd. No ...etc. the entire time you are trying to sell your house in case someone wants to see it that particular time slot?
For seven months we never ate fish in our house.
For 63 showings and 26 open houses, our 2 cats got shoved into carriers and off we went.
Our lower level was staged so there was only one chair in the entire house that we could sit in.
We made our house spotless every morning. We squeegeed the shower every day. We cleaned out the cat litter boxes daily and before every showing.
If we were not cooking then the kitchen was staged.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
For seven months we never ate fish in our house.
For 63 showings and 26 open houses, our 2 cats got shoved into carriers and off we went.
Our lower level was staged so there was only one chair in the entire house that we could sit in.
We made our house spotless every morning. We squeegeed the shower every day. We cleaned out the cat litter boxes daily and before every showing.
If we were not cooking then the kitchen was staged.
Gotta love a motivated seller!

I give you credit. It isn't easy being a seller but that one time you refuse that showing may be the one buyer that you lost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate