Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM

804 posts, read 2,891,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
There is no way to know why a seller may be declining a showing...
It's not always a lack of motivation.

While mine was on the market, I had a few days when my son was recovering from surgery .
No way was I going to move him during the first 2 days days post surgery..
That wasn't a lack of motivation...
That would be an acceptable excuse for not showing. In our case we had narrowed down our search to a select few with some back ups thrown in the list because we were only in town for a weekend and pretty much knew what house we wanted. That all changed when we couldn't get into a few of the houses we wanted.

One house we were very interested in the seller came back to our request to see the house saying they would only show the house the next weekend on Saturday from 11 to noon and that was it, no exception. About 4 months after we bought our house we drove by that house and it was still on the market, go figure..

In the end it all worked out for the best because we found a house with the help of a friend that was perfect and contacted our realtor that evening and got a showing for the next morning and had a full price offer on her desk that afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
There is no way to know why a seller may be declining a showing...
It's not always a lack of motivation.

While mine was on the market, I had a few days when my son was recovering from surgery .
No way was I going to move him during the first 2 days days post surgery..
That wasn't a lack of motivation...
Of course you wouldn't have moved him for a showing! However, it would have been helpful to a buyer's agent if your agent had made a notation in MLS or in the showing instructions that there would be no showings from Monday to Wednesday (or whichever days).

An explanation isn't even necessary but it helps to know that the home cannot be shown, in advance.

I had sellers with twins that said "absolutely no showings during naptime between 2 PM to 4 PM"!

I don't blame them!

I posted that in the listing information so it was noted in advance and agents could schedule around naptime!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 PM

117 posts, read 270,559 times
I am selling my home now and asked that showings be 2pm or after since my husband is disabled and it takes a few hours every morning to get up, bathed, dressed and have breakfast. I actually had a buyers agent ask for a 10 a.m. showing and say it was OK with them if he was still in the bedroom. I was so shocked and asked her if she would be comfortable with strangers traipsing through her room while she was in pj's, toileting, and trying to get clothes on! They rescheduled. We would be more amenable to having evening visits if that would help. Tomorrow we have a showing between 5-6pm. Not a problem!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,125 times
I think Manderly raised a great question for those so quick to label some sellers as "unmotivated" but who do not label buyers who do the same thing.

Not everyone's work schedule is 8-5, and for some of us, getting up at 7 AM is equivalent to 2 AM for people on a standard work schedule. This weekend someone was sawing tree limbs on a Saturday morning at 8 AM (despite county noise ordinances forbidding it before 10 on weekends), then a neighbor called to ask a favor that could easily have been deferred until noon. I can certainly understand a seller's finding it a hardship to agree to every single casual looker's request.

But then I live in an area that has been a seller's market for most of the past 15 years.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM

134 posts, read 443,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Sometimes nice photos work to your detriment when so many agents take bad ones. It makes your home stand out (which is good), but it also makes buyers think your home is worth looking at even if it doesn't meet their stated criteria. I really don't think that people are there to inspect your decor. Buyers are often willing to compromise on things and your photos are clearly drawing people in that would normally have ruled your home out.

So if a buyer was coming in from out of town and powering through 10 homes on a Sunday to make an offer on one that night, you would choose to not be part of that possibility? You do realize that most buyer agents and buyers want to respect their own time too, right? It is much more efficient for buyers and agents to set aside a chunk of time to go see 4-5 homes, rather than see them one at a time over the course of a week. People that would be buying your home will likely be at work too so the 9am showing time during the week doesn't work for most people.

Agreed. I look at 4-5 homes in the same day just so I don't waste my time doing 1 home per day or such. The longer a buyer stays at the home, the higher the chances of buying it.

I literally pulled up the driveway on some homes and turned around before even stepping foot on the property. Then there's times were I spent over an hour going through the house.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,246 times
My house was available anytime between 8:30am-9:30 pm. I wanted to sell so anytime someone wanted to view I was ok with it.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 PM

189 posts, read 643,373 times
I'm getting frustrated with some of the early morning showings. I've always accommodated them, and now that I live out of state, they aren't really inconveniencing me anymore. But the real problem I've had is that I've had some 8am showings that were just lookie-loos. Last week, I flew back home on Friday night. Due to flight delays, I actually didn't get home, head hit the pillow, until 2:30am. I had to get up at 6am to meticulously clean (my husband did not really do it to my "showing standard" while I was away), take the dog out to stay with someone else, and a few other straightening up items (weeding the garden, pruning back the rose bush, etc.). I'm not upset I have to do these things; it comes with selling the house. But when I do it on 3 hours of sleep, and am pulling away at 8am, only to see the buyer come by early, and to see that the buyer was all of 18 or 19, and had brought along half a dozen of her sorority sisters, I'm pissed. I didn't run out early so a young kid (who I cannot believe could afford nor would even want to live in my neighborhood full of young families and empty nesters) can go through my house with an entourage. A younger adult with parents looking with them was one thing. But this was a bunch of girls killing time before brunch, it would seem.

Needless to say, it didn't result in an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate