Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times

Advertisements

Is a showing a 'timed' event? Is there a time limit? Would a realtor actually schedule a showing 30 minutes apart for the same property? Would a Realtor rush a couple through to show it to a lone male prospect?

Reason: At a showing yesterday my wife and I did a walk through of a home. Wanting to be thorough, we took about 40 minutes to really look it over - my wife at the details that interested her, myself the structural issues and the manly stuff, etc. At the 30 minute mark another person drove up and the realtor told us she had to wrap up to show it to the next prospect. So we left, not getting answers needed and not being able to truly view the property completely to our liking.

Unusual: My wife feels the next prospect was actually a 'ringer' or friend. She feels that a Realtor wouldn't schedule two prospects within an hour. Plus the Realtor (a female) showing to a male prospect alone?

We drove back by the home after 15 minutes and both the Realtor's car and the 'other' prospects car were gone. Which is just about the amount of time it would take to shut down and close up the property after a showing IMHO.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
If you get your own buyer's agent you can look to your hearts content.

Yes, the listing agent could book showings 30 minutes apart. They are working for the seller and want to push as many people though as possible.

My clients know within 10 minutes if the house if for them or not. I book showings of different houses in different neighborhoods 30-45 minutes apart.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:28 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Some homes, and/or clients, take 5 minutes, and some take 45 minutes.
I usually set a one hour window for clients for showings, and that allows for being a little late to the house, if we linger at another property.

The drive up may have wanted to see other homes, too, in addition to the one you were in. They may have had appointments set up already.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
I think 30 minutes should usually be an acceptable amount of time...the realtor probably should have told you in advance if they had a hard time limit, though.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
We drove back by the home after 15 minutes and both the Realtor's car and the 'other' prospects car were gone.

Any thoughts?
Sure...
The showing agent has a thing going on with the second agent.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM

63 posts, read 196,176 times
I schedule my homes for an hour if it is going to take longer I call the listing agent and let them know. Get your own agent while I like the dual agent money people need to be aware that when you are a dual agent you are still working for the listing client.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:59 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Was this your first time seeing this home or were you coming back for a second look? If it was your first visit, I think you're spending way too much time being "thorough" and looking at everything, and thus wasting your realtors' time. Decide what your "main" requirements are and if a house doesn't have it, cross it off and move on. A second showing, imo, is when you really get picky and look at EVERYTHING.

When I was looking at homes I could eliminate many just by looking on the internet, even more from the outside and most of the others within 5 minutes of going inside. Of course I really knew what I was looking for and what I wasn't looking for.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Simply get a 2nd viewing if you are truly interested....!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
How long is a piece of string? Sometimes you walk in a house and are out in less than 5 minutes. Other times before you even realize it you have been there almost an hour.

I would have been ticked off though that they were trying to push me out after 30 minutes.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Is a showing a 'timed' event? Is there a time limit? Would a realtor actually schedule a showing 30 minutes apart for the same property? Would a Realtor rush a couple through to show it to a lone male prospect?

Reason: At a showing yesterday my wife and I did a walk through of a home. Wanting to be thorough, we took about 40 minutes to really look it over - my wife at the details that interested her, myself the structural issues and the manly stuff, etc. At the 30 minute mark another person drove up and the realtor told us she had to wrap up to show it to the next prospect. So we left, not getting answers needed and not being able to truly view the property completely to our liking.

Unusual: My wife feels the next prospect was actually a 'ringer' or friend. She feels that a Realtor wouldn't schedule two prospects within an hour. Plus the Realtor (a female) showing to a male prospect alone?

We drove back by the home after 15 minutes and both the Realtor's car and the 'other' prospects car were gone. Which is just about the amount of time it would take to shut down and close up the property after a showing IMHO.

Any thoughts?
It is a typical ploy by any salesperson. That is get the buyer interested, don't let them see everything, make them think another person is ready to buy the item, then push for the person to make an offer without considering.

Any agent that schedules a 30 minute viewing for a home is either a sheister or does not know what they are doing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate