Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Reason: At a showing yesterday my wife and I did a walk through of a home. Wanting to be thorough, we took about 40 minutes to really look it over - my wife at the details that interested her, myself the structural issues and the manly stuff, etc. At the 30 minute mark another person drove up and the realtor told us she had to wrap up to show it to the next prospect. So we left, not getting answers needed and not being able to truly view the property completely to our liking.

Unusual: My wife feels the next prospect was actually a 'ringer' or friend. She feels that a Realtor wouldn't schedule two prospects within an hour. Plus the Realtor (a female) showing to a male prospect alone?
First showings are usually pretty superficial. People don't normally spend a lot of time examining every nook and cranny of a house until they have decided that they are somewhat interested and possibly thinking about making an offer. This is not always the case, of course. There are some people who do wish to be thorough right off the bat so it is often hard to gauge exactly how long to allocate to a showing. Personally, I would allow at least 45 minutes to an hour - depending on the property.

As for your last statement single females show homes to male prospects all the time, although it is not as common as it once was. There are lots of realtors (male and female) with concealed carry permits "just in case".

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
I give a 30 minute time period if looking at homes in the same area, and about 1 hour if going from town to town. I try to keep to a schelude, but things come up like traffic, buyers showing up late to my office, extra time at other houses,etc etc. If my clients are going back for a second showing, I budget about one hour to one and half hours.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
I've never had a client stay 30 minutes when first looking at a home. They can usually tell within a few minutes. Sometimes they stay longer if the really like it. We spend a lot more time there after they have an offer accepted, so they can measure for new flooring or carpet, plan for curtains or other updates, and of course for the inspection.

However, the other buyer that came buy should have waited until you were done looking. Your realtor should have stepped outside to let them know you would be wrapping up soon, then wait for you to finish.

If you are really interested in the house, don't let that ruse (or rudeness) of the agent influence your decision. Get the house you want. If you need a more detailed look, let the realtor know.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Depends. If I like a house, I'll stay an hour or longer, poking around and asking questions, sitting at the kitchen table to get a feel for the place.

If I don't like it, I'm out of there in 15 minutes.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I usually know within the first couple of minutes whether it's the house for me or not.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
They can book showings whenever they want and often times a few at once. When i was selling they booked three different showings in an hours time. Two were looking through at the same time. Like mentioned if it was one that you were really interested it, just book a second showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate