Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,210,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
These are the words of someone that's either new to the business and trying to convince themselves of their choice, or someone that's struggling in the business and trying to convince themselves that THEY'RE not the reason they're struggling.

There's value to appraisers. Tons. IF you get one that knows what they're doing. I've had plenty of clients order appraisals before listing to make sure that we're on the same page and have ammo for any lower offers. However, 99.9% of the time, we come up with a very similar number. Appraisers fill their reports with more detail, but the end result is the same.

For you to come on acting like "high and mighty" because you have an appraisal license is just as stupid and childish as a Realtor doing the same thing because THEY have a license. Any fool can get a license.

Production is different. This business has a way of weeding out folks that are only in it for a commission. They don't last long. Do we want to make money? Yes. That's why we do it. But those of us that last realize that if we treat the client correctly and honor our fiduciary, the money will come (in trucks).

The arrogance of your posts are sad and funny. You're an appraiser. Period. You're not superman. You're not the Pope. You're an appraiser. Just like we're only Realtors.

Successful people don't have to take the time to get on and bash others. Results speak.

If it makes you feel better to try and bash a profession (that you depend on), that's fine. But know how you come across to everyone reading it.
I can't word this any better than you already have done.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM

290 posts, read 573,715 times
Quote:
These are the words of someone that's either new to the business and trying to convince themselves of their choice, or someone that's struggling in the business and trying to convince themselves that THEY'RE not the reason they're struggling.

There's value to appraisers. Tons. IF you get one that knows what they're doing. I've had plenty of clients order appraisals before listing to make sure that we're on the same page and have ammo for any lower offers. However, 99.9% of the time, we come up with a very similar number. Appraisers fill their reports with more detail, but the end result is the same.

For you to come on acting like "high and mighty" because you have an appraisal license is just as stupid and childish as a Realtor doing the same thing because THEY have a license. Any fool can get a license.

Production is different. This business has a way of weeding out folks that are only in it for a commission. They don't last long. Do we want to make money? Yes. That's why we do it. But those of us that last realize that if we treat the client correctly and honor our fiduciary, the money will come (in trucks).

The arrogance of your posts are sad and funny. You're an appraiser. Period. You're not superman. You're not the Pope. You're an appraiser. Just like we're only Realtors.

Successful people don't have to take the time to get on and bash others. Results speak.

If it makes you feel better to try and bash a profession (that you depend on), that's fine. But know how you come across to everyone reading it.

You don't worry me. My concern is the general public. I will speak to the general public -- if Realtors have a problem with it, so be it -- the market will have to adapt to the fact that Independent Appraisers exist.

If the truth portrays bashing to a certain group, then that is not my problem. You and your friends can try to associate me with any thing you all may like, it is a free country. You all just go right ahead.

Like I said, "you don't worry me." Have a nice evening.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,588,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appraisergx View Post
...I'll give you a hint, too: you are no where near being a Lawyer, a Realtor is a "plain ol" sales person that has a fiduciary duty to their client (a simple advocate) ...
At least you acknowledge our fiduciary duties and client advocacy. That's more than you get from the typical "sales person". And actually, at least in Arizona, licensed agents are granted the legal right to practice law as it relates to drafting and completing legal documents incident to the sale of real property, which is "near being a lawyer" in this capacity.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:

Very well said.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
And actually, at least in Arizona, licensed agents are granted the legal right to practice law as it relates to drafting and completing legal documents incident to the sale of real property, which is "near being a lawyer" in this capacity.
That is funny.

A typical homeowner and buyer has the legal capacity to draft and complete legal documents incident to the sale of real property.

No mam, it is not, "near being a Lawyer."

Only the ego of a Realtor would compare themselves to, "near being a Lawyer" representing a profession with only a GED requirement, a broker's signature, and less hours of text book education than the back yard plumber or mechanic in order to have a license. And, please, do not get fire under your butt as if I am saying this all the education you have (it is none of my business!), I am stating minimum requirements. However; I have to assume it takes years to earn the ego.

The fiduciary duty is in the realm of being a sales person. A sales person's fiduciary duty is no where near being a Lawyer. A Realtor can exaggerate the advocacy they are required to provide to the level of the "Gods."

No one practices Law except Attorneys. Anyone that meets certain standards can have the legal capacity to do many things, in which a Lawyer may provide. I have the legal capacity to write a contract for my neighbor, but why should I? I can just download the uniform contract all Realtors use in the state, which is typed up by Lawyers, before any use of it may be acknowledged. Realtors just fill in the blanks, and most contracts I see, it appears too many have trouble doing that; I am looking at chicken scratch right now (a proposed construction). I am going to suggest that this Realtor take a 'fill in the blank' course. Near being a Lawyer? This comment will definitely put me to bed with a big smile on my face.

Thank you

Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Why are you looking at the contract, as an appraiser? One would think that you'd want to go in with no preconceived idea of what the contract price is, when doing an appraisal, to keep yourself honest.

And why are you advising clients on the contract, if you're neither an attorney or a licensed real estate agent? (If you are either, you haven't mentioned it in this thread.) Doesn't that at least verge on being unethical?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,588,701 times
Quote:
...A typical homeowner and buyer has the legal capacity to draft and complete legal documents incident to the sale of real property. ...
Sure, they can in a private transaction for their own benefit, but not when acting in the capacity as a broker or agent for others unless they are licensed. And I wasn't equating a real estate agents education to that of a lawyer, just that we have been given a limited legal scope to create certain legal documents for clients that would otherwise be done by a lawyer. What you claim to be doing for your clients would not be legal in Arizona unless you are a licensed real estate agent. If I recall correctly from your time as "Mr. Fantastic" on this forum, I thought you held a RE license? Sorry if mistaken.

Glad you found this entertaining. I aim to please the trolls.

Last edited by rjrcm; 02-04-2011 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Why are you looking at the contract, as an appraiser? One would think that you'd want to go in with no preconceived idea of what the contract price is, when doing an appraisal, to keep yourself honest.

And why are you advising clients on the contract, if you're neither an attorney or a licensed real estate agent? (If you are either, you haven't mentioned it in this thread.) Doesn't that at least verge on being unethical?
Because, it is my job to analyze the contract. It is my job to analyze leases, too. It is my job to analyze the title. It is my job to analyze the mortgage note. It is my job to analyze all documents pertaining to real property.

I understand the difference between price, cost, and value (there is a difference). What you really meant to say is this: One would think you'd want to go in with no preconceived idea of what number to hit so the Realtor can get the commission based on an artificial value. I don't kiss arse and I know how to read and interpret the market. I know how to do my job! Cost is just a cost -- price is just a price -- and value "is what it is."

Why can I advise clients on the contract? Economically speaking, I can. I don't do what an Attorney does (vice versa). No, it isn't on the verge of being unethical. I have a completely different agenda than a sales person. And, it looks as though you have no idea what a Real Estate Appraiser actually is and what they can do. That is OK, many Realtors do not have a clue (you're not alone). An Appraiser does more than just put together an Appraisal.

You're swinging at air, lady...

Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
What you claim to be doing for your clients would not be legal in Arizona unless you are a licensed real estate agent. If I recall correctly from your time as "Mr. Fantastic" on this forum, I thought you held a RE license? Sorry if mistaken.

Glad you found this entertaining. I aim to please the trolls.
It appears that you have no idea what I am claiming. And, you are incorrect; consulting, interpreting contracts, as well as many other types of analyses within the realm of being an Independent Appraiser is perfectly legal.

I was never a Mr. Fantastic on this forum. I found this forum a few days ago.

If you want to resort to name calling, go ahead

Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,433,812 times
Quote:
You don't worry me. My concern is the general public. I will speak to the general public -- if Realtors have a problem with it, so be it -- the market will have to adapt to the fact that Independent Appraisers exist.

If the truth portrays bashing to a certain group, then that is not my problem. You and your friends can try to associate me with any thing you all may like, it is a free country. You all just go right ahead.

Like I said, "you don't worry me." Have a nice evening.
Usually folks that work SO hard at "defending" themselves by trying to put others down are trying to justify their existence. A true professional wouldn't be on here with posts like yours.

You can talk about how good you are and the fact that you're "only looking out for the public", but we all know that you're just trying to justify your existence in your field and convince yourself you're important.

If that's what makes you feel better, so be it. I'd venture to say you'd never make posts like that under your business name though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate