Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:37 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,145,148 times

Advertisements

Do you show them, skip over them, or show them last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 02:55 PM

316 posts, read 977,510 times
I show FSBO's when my clients want to see them. They are not listed on our MLS, but if we see them while we are out looking and my clients are interested, I will show them.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,764,060 times
The code of ethics requires real estate agents to show FSBO home as long as they offer a commission to the buyers agent.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Isn't the MLS universal? I'm talking about if you have a low cost company list it for you, but they are really not representing you. (Buyowner type of thing)

Old 10-25-2008, 03:37 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,939,333 times
I assume that you are talking about being listed via a flat fee brokerage that enters your property info into the MLS.
I show any property that the buyer has an interested in and I'm able to set an showing appointment.
I attempt to show based on the most convenient driving route, not on who lists the property or the level of commission offered.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:45 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Isn't the MLS universal? I'm talking about if you have a low cost company list it for you, but they are really not representing you. (Buyowner type of thing)
then you are technically NOT FSBO. You are represented. Although your representation is limited. We call that limited service. Of course I show whatever my clients want to see.

How easy is it for your house to be shown? are you home 24/7 to let someone in or do you have some sort of combo lock for access? Do you answer the phone?

shelly

Old 10-25-2008, 04:59 PM

15,603 posts, read 40,535,235 times
I show limited service listings all of the time. The MLS is not universal. It is very localized. I see it occur many times where someone lists their home in the "MLS" with a limited rep agent out of Portland which feeds the RMLS, but the house is located in Salem which uses the WVMLS.

Some agents will not show your house because the fear increased liability on their part. Most agents will as long as you offer a competitive commission. Buyer agency agreements are becoming more common with agents asking buyers to make up for an "inadequate" compensation from the MLS. If you offer a low compensation to an agent, some buyer may elect to not see your house since they would have to make up the difference.

Levels of service:
FSBO-standard for sale by owner with the property NOT on the MLS.
Limited representation/MLS only-legally agent representation so not FSBO, but offers very limited service.
Flat Rate/Fee-for-Service brokerages-offer full representation, but run the gammit from limited marketing to full marketing options. Just a different pay scale.
Traditional Brokerages-commission structure with full representation and, in theory, full marketing exposure.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,494,022 times
I show houses that are listed with limited representation agencies. (If you're on the MLS, as stated above, you're not a FSBO.) I also show FSBO's. My goal is to find the best house for my clients. However, I do acknowledge (and let my clients know) that there will be more work involved on my part (and the limited representation brokers know it - they're counting on me to take on a greater share of the load so that their business model will work).

Frankly, those kinds of listings don't usually draw my clients' attention because few who go that route have the expertise to market the house properly, including good photos, etc. But if they come up on the MLS search for homes fitting my clients' needs, I'll bring them to their attention.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:40 PM

I guess it's called limited representation. I'm out of work now, so I'm home majority of the time. If not, I'm just a phone call away and can be home within 10-15 minutes. Although, I'd like at least an hours notice so I can tidy up and get the dogs out. I think that's fair? My commission is 3%.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,764,060 times
You should be fine.

But please:

1) Don't give people personalized tours of the home
2) Don't give people too much information about your property.
3) Act like a real estate agent.

(See my post on "Do you shoe homeowners away during showings?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals