Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 PM

224 posts, read 777,462 times

Advertisements

Would I be overstepping my boundaries if I ran a classified ad in our local newspaper advertising my house for sale even though I have it listed with a realtor? I've had a handful of showings (been on the market since April), and every time I call my realtor for feedback or just to check in it takes him 2 to 3 days to return my call. As of today it has been 2 weeks since I've heard anything from him, and that is only because I ran into him at the local fair. My next-door neighbor just listed his house FSBO and the 2nd day the ad ran in the local paper he had 3 people call. I'm just curious to see if my ad would get any response, but I don't want to cause trouble between me and the realty office, as I may have to rely on them if I chose to move to a new house (in another state) before this one sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 61,228 times
Taylor -

I don't know where you are located so that makes it hard to give advice. I am a real estate professional, a veteran residential appraiser with some sales and brokerage experience. But I don't consider myself to be a sales professional.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you placing an advertisaement, however, beware - there are many investor types who read the classifieds for the specific purpose of finding individuals/FSBOs who are in trouble and/or are not knoweldgable. DO NOT sign anything without your Realtor. My advice is to ask any caller if they are pre-qualified for financing and for what amount before showing the home. Getting calls is easy. I would advise you to have your Realtor (tm) present for showing.

In many areas of the country market conditions are very unsettled, to say the least. In those areas it is a buyer's market. My perception of the situation in my area is that the only people buying and selling are the ones that HAVE to buy and sell. I live in Florida which has a transient population.

It is not uncommon in my area for Realtors to get as many lisitngs as they can and then sit back and wait. In most cases the reason homes are not selling is because they are overpriced. The Realtors list high to get the listing and then do very little until the homeowner's attitude adjusts to reality and/or until they MUST sell. I am certainly NOT saying that this is the case with your Realtor.

Wish I could be of more help.

Good luck
Mike/Central Florida

Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 PM

59 posts, read 272,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor400 View Post
Would I be overstepping my boundaries if I ran a classified ad in our local newspaper advertising my house for sale even though I have it listed with a realtor? I've had a handful of showings (been on the market since April), and every time I call my realtor for feedback or just to check in it takes him 2 to 3 days to return my call. As of today it has been 2 weeks since I've heard anything from him, and that is only because I ran into him at the local fair. My next-door neighbor just listed his house FSBO and the 2nd day the ad ran in the local paper he had 3 people call. I'm just curious to see if my ad would get any response, but I don't want to cause trouble between me and the realty office, as I may have to rely on them if I chose to move to a new house (in another state) before this one sells.
There is nothing wrong with doing a little of your own advertising, but really it is your REALTORS job to do this.I'm not saying you overstepping your boundaries, what I'm saying is HE should already be doing this for you. However if you feel you need the extra exposure, by all means go for it.

A FSBO's phone calls may not be legit leads, so take that with a grain of salt. A lot of people call FSBO's to be nosey.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the good advice. I actually spoke to my realtor last night and informed him that my husband and I don't feel he's doing a very good job of communicating with us (it takes, on average, 3 days for him to return our calls - is this the norm?) and we wanted our house advertised more, as we are very motivated to sell (currently my husband and I are living in 2 separate states). I'll see how the advertising goes now before I run out and do it myself. I agree that it is his job to advertise, that's why we listed with an agent.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 PM

88 posts, read 424,111 times
Default Taylor400

You should definitely tell your agent he should be advertising it in the paper. When an agent goes on a listing appointment, this is one of the things he should be telling you he will do as your agent as part of his marketing plan. Did he interview with you for the listing; how did you choose him?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:01 PM

59 posts, read 272,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor400 View Post
(it takes, on average, 3 days for him to return our calls - is this the norm?)
I know some agents are very busy people. For the most part, the longer you're in the industry, the more you have going on, however it should never take more than 24 hours to get back to one of your clients. I get back to mine the same day they tried to contact me. Sometimes it's just an email telling them I received their message and I'll call them some time tomorrow, but either way, I want them to hear from me that day. 3 days to me seems like a bit much.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:19 PM

41 posts, read 254,832 times
MY GOODNESS >>>>>

I cannot believe you even have this agent still working for you .. and btw, he is working for you ...

I get back to my clients within 2 hours of their call .. if it even gets to a voicemail.. I make sure they have my cell phone and are welcome to call it. I turn it off when I am in a meeting etc!

Why pretell would you need this agent when you go to another state? Let me tell you there are plenty of Hungry and professional agents out there that would be grateful for your buisness. YOU"RE the Boss .... make sure to tell your agent what you want and expect, how else are they going to know?

If an agent can't figure out you'd like a call returned in a timely manner, then how the heck can they figure anything else out????

Most of us Realtors have time in our cars that we can use to listen to voicemail and make calls ... (ok hands free and safely of course!)

Urghh I just get so erked ... when I read what Some agents are doing so wrong, while other Agents are AWESOME ...

Ok enuf rant !

Old 07-16-2007, 05:18 PM

Flipflopdreamer,

You asked "Why pretell would you need this agent when you go to another state?" I'm not sure I understand what your asking, or maybe I wasn't clear. I'm currently living in the house we are trying to sell while my husband works in another state (Texas) where we will all move once the house sells. We have a different agent in Texas that we are using to find a house. My current house is for sale in Illinois.

This agent came so highly recommended by a very good friend of mine. He sold their house in 2 months for their original asking price. My house is in a different town, but is also 20 years older than the house they sold. Theirs sold last year when the market was different.

He does seem to be doing better as far as communicating. I let him know I found it very unprofessional that it takes so long to get back to me, especially when I'm calling his cell phone. I saw my house in the local paper today bunched with other houses listed with the same company, but it was in the paper at least! I did see a list of papers it would be advertised in before I signed with him.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 PM

I have to make a correction to my above entry...my friends' house was 20 years OLDER than mine, my house is only 6 years old.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:53 PM

41 posts, read 254,832 times
Still... make sure he is internet savvy and consider placing the house on craigslist too ...

Also .... is your house truly priced right ? would you buy it at the current price? Look at Realtor dot com and see what others are seeing ... do a "what you get for your money" research and place your buyers hat on...

Unfortunately the market has changed ... know thy competition !

Good luck ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals