Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Austin-Willy, ..... you are so predictable
What an odd comment coming from an agent posting on this board.

Quote:
the difference between your compensation and mine, is you get paid whether you help the client or not.
Apparently you assume that if the deal closes you have "helped" your client, which is an incredibly simplistic view of the world unless your main concern is helping put money in your own pocket. If it ends up being a mistake by the buyer who stepped into a giant liability that could have been avoided, that's someone else's problem. So feel free to keep riding along on your high horse while people scramble behind you to clean up the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
Apparently you assume that if the deal closes you have "helped" your client, which is an incredibly simplistic view of the world unless your main concern is helping put money in your own pocket. If it ends up being a mistake by the buyer who stepped into a giant liability that could have been avoided, that's someone else's problem. So feel free to keep riding along on your high horse while people scramble behind you to clean up the mess.
I'm sorry, when did you get direct knowledge of how I manage my clients? I wouldn't presume to know how you handle yours.

shelly

Old 10-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, when did you get direct knowledge of how I manage my clients? I wouldn't presume to know how you handle yours.

shelly
You wouldn't? Well then what was this:

Quote:
I'm sure the first statement you make with a new client is "my fee is $xxx per hour, how would you like handled by retainer or by billing?"

the difference between your compensation and mine, is you get paid whether you help the client or not.

shelly

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Hyperbole, I would guess, to give an example that you might understand of how outrageous you are being to assume that you know how agents on this board or elsewhere conduct their business.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM

not gonna play with you willie -boy. : ) that was funny, but lets not obfuscate and "spin". You have a decided view of agents. And it comes through in your postings.

You made the statement that agents don't show FSBO listings. You were asked to prove that statement. You cannot, so you begin to attack and obfuscate.

I don't know an agent that won't show (and sell) a FSBO listing if that is what our client wants AND we get paid. And yes I add the get paid, since we do actually work for a living, not for charity.

Most (if not all) the Real Estate Attorney's that I have had the pleasure to work with, are extremely supportive of the agents and how hard they work, and EGADS!!! use agents themselves....... to list and sell their property. Why would an attorney use an agent if it was just as easy to "hire an attorney to look at paperwork and do it yourself"??? Because they are smart enough to know that there is more to it than just sticking a sign in the ground.

And a good Agent is smart enought to align him or herself with a good Attorney, to help manage the process legally and in their clients best insterest. Whatever that may be.

Most Real Estate Attorneys and Agents are not adversarial, they work together for the best outcome for the represented party. Why, then, do you feel this need to contradict and "stir the pot" on every thing an agent has to say?

If you disagree, there are more conciliatory ways to contribute, then the mean-spirited way I have been reading these last couple of months. I don't agree with everything that one agent or another contributes, but I don't malign the entire industry. I can insert my thinking without having to belittle what someone else does. See, I haven't even made one Attorney Joke this whole time : )

Of course, this is JMHO.... I'm sure you will find some interesting way to belittle me or my words, and obfuscate the point.

Good Day, : )

Shelly

Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I can insert my thinking without having to belittle what someone else does.
Yes, you are just sweet little shelly. So innocent and never one to belittle. Unless, of course, someone were to actually read your posts, such as

Quote:
not gonna play with you willie -boy
These forums are full of agents and the majority of messages I see from agents are propagating the spin that NAR passes out to its members like candy. I have said many times that I don't think agents are bad or evil, and that most of what I see that is objectionable boils down to self-preservation and trying to make a living. But when I see agents give advice that is biased in favor of agents, at the expense of consumers, I call it out. I'm sorry that it offends you to see that, but I'm not trying to make you happy with my posts.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
As long as they are the ones that I want, such as your two recent posts that say I said agents' only value is in finding a house, at which time a real estate lawyer should take over and the agent should no longer be involved in the transaction. Start with those.
Okay, here's one thread where you state that the TREC contracts are inadequate, that agents are not competent to explain them to clients, and that an attorney is a necessity to a real estate transaction. Not in those exact words, but the implication is clear if you read your posts from the beginning. This is also the thread, by the way, where it didn't come out until direct questioning, that you are a real estate attorney and actually have a dog in this fight.

Now, your turn. Come up with these agents who are saying what you said they are. BEFORE the predictable red herring of, "I didn't say that at all!", please. That can come later.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are just sweet little shelly. So innocent and never one to belittle.
thank you for seeing me in my true light : )

Quote:
These forums are full of agents
well of course they are!! did you not notice the title of this thread? it is called REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONALS (and the reason they used professionals and not agent is because there are agents and brokers, and more....

You can ask for a forum titled Real Estate Attorney's!!!!

Quote:
I'm sorry that it offends you to see that, but I'm not trying to make you happy with my posts.
Not offended at all. Just wish you didn't have to be so negative towards agents. I think you find that we (agents) often deliver differing viewpoints. I know we have helped folks. and I believe most people are SMART enough (without a law degree) to figure out that we are agents and do need to make a living. to suggest otherwise is not very flattering to the readers.

I assume that one a poster asks a question, they are looking for several ideas, thoughts, answers. And using critical thinking can make up their own minds. Sometimes just offering the agents viewpoint can help. Maybe not. Can't please all the people all the time.

How you choose to look at these forums is your choice. I would rather work WITH you than worry that every time I post you are going to find something obnoxious or sarcastic to say.....

Shelly

Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, here's one thread where you state that the TREC contracts are inadequate, that agents are not competent to explain them to clients, and that an attorney is a necessity to a real estate transaction. Not in those exact words, but the implication is clear if you read your posts from the beginning. This is also the thread, by the way, where it didn't come out until direct questioning, that you are a real estate attorney and actually have a dog in this fight.

Now, your turn. Come up with these agents who are saying what you said they are. BEFORE the predictable red herring of, "I didn't say that at all!", please. That can come later.
What a load of garbage. My first sentence in that thread was "most people work with agents, and not lawyers, on typical residential deals in Texas, and that works fine most of the time." In that same post I said that agents have value in identifying the market value of homes and in attending to a lot of the mechanical aspects of getting the deal closed. In contrast, attorneys are paid to reduce legal risk, I wrote. And sure, I said that TREC forms, for some transactions (which caveat I emphasised in several posts in that thread), are inadequate. Which is indisputable. And while I didn't say that agents are not "competent" to explain the forms, I did say that agents are neither qualified nor permitted by law to explain the legal ramifications of the contract. That is simply the reality of the situation. But I never implied that "an attorney is a necessity to a real estate transaction;" on the contrary, see my first sentence in that thread.

So frankly, you are dead wrong with your criticism, which several unbiased posters in the very thread that you linked pointed out to you back then. But you have created a distinct pattern of mischaracterizing posts. I've given you the benefit of the doubt before, and assumed that your mischaracterizations were simply mistakes and not blatent dishonesty, but you only get so many chances.

But fine. To show that I'm a good sport about it all, and since I found a thread backing up my statements in the very first thread that I clicked on, I'll share it.

Now my statements were:

"I've seen numerous posts on this forum by agents saying that they would practically have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a FSBO showing."

And here is a link to a thread.

First response on pg 2: "I will show FSBO's, but only as a last resort"

A quote from another agent on pg 2: "In a buyers market with large inventories RE Agent don't mess with FSBOs or even MLS only guys."

Then there is this from another agent: "From experience with FSBOs, I can tell you that I'd rather not deal with them."

And this from another agent: "No FSBO's for me, thank you."

And in response to that comment, a different agent said: "Mike I agree." He went on to say that when there are plenty of houses that are listed by agents... "there was no need to worry about tracking down FSBO's."

Now, in this thread, I also said: "But my comments are also applicable to sellers with limited service agents. It doesn't take much searching to see that many full service agents try to steer buyers and sellers alike away from limited service agents (again, in the full service industry's interest of self-preservation), some even going so far as saying they will discourage their buyers from pursing a house listed by a limited service agent, often under the rationale that a seller using a limited service agent is a penny-pincher and that it's a bad omen for the transaction (but the true and unstated reason being that a limited service listing means more work for the buyer's agent, and represents a challenge to their business model)."

I will refer you back to the same thread.

The 3rd response on the 1st pg in the thread I linked is from an agent who is talking about limited service listings and says: "If you are in the MLS you go on the bottom of the stack based on a belief that you will be hard to deal with and more work than a normally listed property. You have to be a really good match to get shown."

Then there is this from another agent who says about homes listed by limited service agents: "many times I avoid them also."

So, there you have it.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
did you not notice the title of this thread? it is called REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONALS (and the reason they used professionals and not agent is because there are agents and brokers, and more....

You can ask for a forum titled Real Estate Attorney's!!!!
What makes you think a real estate attorney isn't a real estate professional?

Quote:
I would rather work WITH you than worry that every time I post you are going to find something obnoxious or sarcastic to say.....
If you don't want to get into an obnixious back and forth, you might think about not being rude, such as when you said my posts are predictable and put you to sleep, or being condescending, such as when you called me "willy-boy." Your actions have consequences, so if you don't like the reaction you get, perhaps look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals