Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,630,446 times

Advertisements

If it's for sale and it meets the buyers' search criteria, I'll show it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM

11,020 posts, read 22,069,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Isn't the MLS universal? I'm talking about if you have a low cost company list it for you, but they are really not representing you. (Buyowner type of thing)
Still a listed home. I don't know any agents that won't show a home their client wants to see. I'd think an exception would be the owner won't pay a commission.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 AM

1,151 posts, read 3,000,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Still a listed home. I don't know any agents that won't show a home their client wants to see. I'd think an exception would be the owner won't pay a commission.
I've seen numerous posts on this forum by agents saying that they would practically have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a FSBO showing. So while you're probably right that most agents will arrange a showing if the client demands it, it's also apparent that many agents would just as soon drive right by a FSBO in their client's target neighborhood and never inquire about whether it meets their client's needs. Perhaps that doesn't apply to you, but I've seen enough agent responses on this board to know it is a common attitude.

Beckycat, I imagine that you posted your question because you have an intuition that FSBOs may be given lower preferance among agents. Clearly, your instincts are correct. I'm not implying that agents are "bad" people, but they have a vested interest in trying to ensure that FSBOs sell less frequently than homes represented by selling agents; many agents want FSBOs to fail because that increases agents' relevance / job security. So obviously they are going to do everything in their power to herd their buyers toward listed homes.

Doesn't mean FSBO won't work though. If your house is priced right, shows well, reasonably available for viewings and can be found easily on internet searches you should have a great chance to be more attractive to buyers than an equal house that is priced 3% higher to take into account the commission that has to be paid to a listing agent. Agents may care whether you have a listing agent, but most buyers don't. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,922,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
I've seen numerous posts on this forum by agents saying that they would practically have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a FSBO showing. So while you're probably right that most agents will arrange a showing if the client demands it, it's also apparent that many agents would just as soon drive right by a FSBO in their client's target neighborhood and never inquire about whether it meets their client's needs. Perhaps that doesn't apply to you, but I've seen enough agent responses on this board to know it is a common attitude.

Beckycat, I imagine that you posted your question because you have an intuition that FSBOs may be given lower preferance among agents. Clearly, your instincts are correct. I'm not implying that agents are "bad" people, but they have a vested interest in trying to ensure that FSBOs sell less frequently than homes represented by selling agents; many agents want FSBOs to fail because that increases agents' relevance / job security. So obviously they are going to do everything in their power to herd their buyers toward listed homes.

Doesn't mean FSBO won't work though. If your house is priced right, shows well, reasonably available for viewings and can be found easily on internet searches you should have a great chance to be more attractive to buyers than an equal house that is priced 3% higher to take into account the commission that has to be paid to a listing agent. Agents may care whether you have a listing agent, but most buyers don't. Good luck!
That's not what she said, AW -- she said her home is listed in the MLS through a limited representation agency. So even though she called it a FSBO, it's technically an agent represented property. When Realtors are searching for houses for people, the MLS is a valuable tool to search and sort through all the active possibilities. Beckycat's house will be more likely to be shown because it will come up in a search of MLS properties. Other FSBO's who do not use a limited representation company to get on the MLS are not as likely to be shown by Realtors, simply because we have no way of knowing about them.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
That's not what she said, AW -- she said her home is listed in the MLS through a limited representation agency. So even though she called it a FSBO, it's technically an agent represented property. When Realtors are searching for houses for people, the MLS is a valuable tool to search and sort through all the active possibilities. Beckycat's house will be more likely to be shown because it will come up in a search of MLS properties. Other FSBO's who do not use a limited representation company to get on the MLS are not as likely to be shown by Realtors, simply because we have no way of knowing about them.
There are lots of ways to find out about FSBOs if you are interested in doing so. To act like if it's not on MLS then an agent has no way to know about it is misleading, at best. Perhaps if a particular agent is lazy or is more interested in protecting their industry than helping their client they will only look at MLS. Some agents will tell you that "good agents" are familiar with the inventory. I'll let you decide whether or not that's correct.

But my comments are also applicable to sellers with limited service agents. It doesn't take much searching to see that many full service agents try to steer buyers and sellers alike away from limited service agents (again, in the full service industry's interest of self-preservation), some even going so far as saying they will discourage their buyers from pursing a house listed by a limited service agent, often under the rationale that a seller using a limited service agent is a penny-pincher and that it's a bad omen for the transaction (but the true and unstated reason being that a limited service listing means more work for the buyer's agent, and represents a challenge to their business model).

Old 10-28-2008, 01:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,529,088 times
I not only use the MLS, I'll also check on craigslist to see if there's anything on there that would suit my clients. I don't drive all the streets in the entire area (we're talking five counties here), but I do make note of FSBO signs as I go on my daily rounds.

Willie, could you point to the comments on here that say what you're claiming has been said here by agents? I've heard agents say that they will give their clients a heads up as to the problems that may be encountered during negotiations, but that's something a good agent is supposed to do anyway, on the theory that an informed and prepared client is a client that is well-served. I've heard agents say (and have said myself) that, yes, a FSBO or limited representation listing means more work and liability for the buyer's agent, AND I've said I'll show any house that fits my client's criteria. I don't recall anyone saying they'd discourage their client from pursuing the house, merely that they'll give the client all information, which surely you agree they should have?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I not only use the MLS, I'll also check on craigslist to see if there's anything on there that would suit my clients. I don't drive all the streets in the entire area (we're talking five counties here), but I do make note of FSBO signs as I go on my daily rounds.

Willie, could you point to the comments on here that say what you're claiming has been said here by agents? I've heard agents say that they will give their clients a heads up as to the problems that may be encountered during negotiations, but that's something a good agent is supposed to do anyway, on the theory that an informed and prepared client is a client that is well-served. I've heard agents say (and have said myself) that, yes, a FSBO or limited representation listing means more work and liability for the buyer's agent, AND I've said I'll show any house that fits my client's criteria. I don't recall anyone saying they'd discourage their client from pursuing the house, merely that they'll give the client all information, which surely you agree they should have?
Sure, if you'll go back to all of your posts where you claim that I have said something and post a link to the message where I said it, I'll be glad to do this for you.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,529,088 times
Sure, I'll be glad to do that. Well, perhaps not all of them - one or two ought to make the point, don't you think?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sure, I'll be glad to do that. Well, perhaps not all of them - one or two ought to make the point, don't you think?
As long as they are the ones that I want, such as your two recent posts that say I said agents' only value is in finding a house, at which time a real estate lawyer should take over and the agent should no longer be involved in the transaction. Start with those.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,860,902 times
Austin-Willy, every time you write these days, my eyes glaze over and all I read is Blah, Blah, Blah..... you are so predictable.

Anyway, I too would love to see those posts that say we won't show FSBO's and Limited Service listings. Of course we show them. They just tend to be "invisible" listings. Can't show what no one knows about. And yes, I do keep up with FSBO's in my immediate area, but I too show homes in a large geographical area. It is IMPOSSIBLE to know about every one with a sign stuck in the front yard.

But if we are looking at houses in a neighborhood that my clients like, we will look at every house for sale. I will call a FSBO in a New York Second. And the first question I ask is, "are you working with agents? and if so, what commission percentage are you offering?"

I'm sure the first statement you make with a new client is "my fee is $xxx per hour, how would you like handled by retainer or by billing?" Funny how you need to make a living to pay for your mortgage, huh?

the difference between your compensation and mine, is you get paid whether you help the client or not.

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals