Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,567,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
I have 31 pages as well. 300+ posts, 150 are someone so sure of the value of a house she won't even share it. So shes obviously wrong and knows it, or thinks some local will see it and buy it in which case..shes wrong again.

The other 150 posts I sincerely believe are people just farming rep at her expense. But its entertaining i have to admit so I will spread some more.
LOL the only 3 things I know for sure are death, taxes, and that the op ain't gonna buy this house. The funny thing is it's still entertaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 AM

43,431 posts, read 77,376,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This thread is literally 31 pages over several months of the op complaining about the price of this home and everyone telling her to make an offer or move on.
Hilarious. I can't wait for the update drama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
31? I only see 8 pages. Are you perhaps including comments from another thread in the non-professional Real Estate Forum where she posted a lot more information about this same house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I see 31 pages and 306 posts in this thread. (Now 307)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Depends on your settings how many posts you have per page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I have 8 pages, but still 309 posts, including this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
I have 31 pages as well. 300+ posts, 150 are someone so sure of the value of a house she won't even share it. So shes obviously wrong and knows it, or thinks some local will see it and buy it in which case..shes wrong again.

The other 150 posts I sincerely believe are people just farming rep at her expense. But its entertaining i have to admit so I will spread some more.

Everyone is right.
Some people prefer the default setting of 10 posts per page.
Some people prefer the optional setting of 40 posts per page.
Some people don't even know there IS an option in their dashboard for number of posts to load on a page.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...do=editoptions

You have to log in, of course.
Click on "Edit Options" in the left sidebar.
Scroll down to "Thread Display Options."
Look at "Number of Posts to Show Per Page."
In the dropdown, you can choose "Default, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40."
If you make a change, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes."

I like 40 per page. Less clicking and less page loading.
I think CD sets the default at 10, to get more clicks, more page loads, more stickiness for search engines, higher ad rates.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 AM

120 posts, read 301,088 times
Did we ever get a link to the property? It would make it more interesting

Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,553,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Haha. I used to be a financial analyst so I think you nailed that one.
Whatever happened with the offer?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:46 AM

325 posts, read 202,575 times
Quote:
Offer being submitted at 12:30.
Are the sellers back from Mexico yet?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 AM

22,025 posts, read 9,614,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
Are the sellers back from Mexico yet?
Yes. They came home and apparently were not going to counter. One of their parents died so I was prepared to not even hear anything for several days but they came back and said they wanted us to waive the contingency and prove financing. We could prove financing and might waive the contingency and we told them so. But they then countered at 2% off list so they are not ready to sell yet. My realtor told their realtor that if something changes (price drop) to call us and their agent said if something changes (we are willing to come up) to call them. We didn't make our best and final offer yet. In the meantime, another house of similar size and quality closed in a nearby neighborhood so there is a new comp. But it's not as nice a neighborhood as my house. I know all these people get upset when I call it my house because they think I am emotionally attached but I am just distinguishing it from all the other houses. The comp sold for my first offer on this house exactly, so I know it's worth more than that because of the neighborhood and the lot is bigger. So while my best in final number might be a slightly low, it's far closer to reality than their list or counter. I will try to talk my husband into going up a little bit but with the tax increases and the stock market plummet, it's going to be hard.

In the meantime, I calculated our new federal tax increases under the new tax law and it's a lot. This doesn't take into account the pending state and property tax increases coming down the pike. So while I do still want this house, I am only willing to go so high to do it.

Meanwhile, another nearby home of similar year built and quality, but substantially bigger, same lot size and priced 10% less was taken off the market after sitting for almost a year.

And my best friend's house has been under contract 3 x and fallen out all three times. So the market is not great. Two houses in my neighborhood went under contract so hers is the only one for sale now.

And my house value has dropped about 20%.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 AM

8,578 posts, read 12,473,740 times
Quote:
In the meantime, I calculated our new federal tax increases under the new tax law and it's a lot.
I suspect that a lot of people will soon realize that the promised "tax cut" was purely imaginary. But...at least corporations got a big tax cut and our national debt is ballooning out of sight. And that's supposedly from "conservatives"?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM

325 posts, read 202,575 times
Quote:
One of their parents died...
I wonder how that will affect their financial and living situation? I'd get some info on that before moving forward as your strategy should change accordingly. It appears that everyone selling in your area is chasing the market down right now and the financial situation in Illinois looks pretty grim so I'd be inclined to wait a while to see how things evolve into the Spring. Out here in N. California prices have come down but I'm waiting to see if the trend continues before I buy, which will be sometime within the next 12 months.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM

22,025 posts, read 9,614,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
I wonder how that will affect their financial and living situation? I'd get some info on that before moving forward as your strategy should change accordingly. It appears that everyone selling in your area is chasing the market down right now and the financial situation in Illinois looks pretty grim so I'd be inclined to wait a while to see how things evolve into the Spring. Out here in N. California prices have come down but I'm waiting to see if the trend continues before I buy, which will be sometime within the next 12 months.
I think this is dead on. I don't necessarily thing waiting is a bad thing.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 AM

120 posts, read 301,088 times
I would continue to wait in Illinois. Other than small micro pockets in places like the city as the state continues to overtax its citizens and the pension crisis escalate, while experiencing negative population growth every year the values will be driven down by lack of demand. Plus overall wealthier people like yourself are leaving the state faster than the middle class and poor overall so that particular market may drop even faster. 500-1.2 million range seems to be plummeting locally in the northwest suburbs currently based on recently sales and market activity for the last 6 months. When our new governor gets his plans going value decreases should escalate further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals