Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,085,000 times

Advertisements

Unless I am misreading AZ self defense laws you can go out and tell them to leave your property and if a few end up dead too bad for them.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:29 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,467,547 times
I don't know what your financial situation is, but is there anyway you can install REALLY bright motion detector lights - like so bright they would light up a stadium?

Personally, I'm with the bulk of the other posters on this thread. I can't believe this is happening to you. Totally unreal. Secondly, I would be out there with a baseball bat so fast, their freaking heads would spin. Sometimes you gotta meet crazy with crazy.

And, I would absolutely PLAGUE the Police Department. I would DEMAND action and arrests for trespassing. I would start with the Desk Sargent and then I would work my way up the chain of command and let them know that I was not stopping until something was done. If there was a Town or Village Hall, I would also make my way over to their offices and get them involved.

I also love the idea of the sprinkler system - perhaps motion detected too. Again, this depends on your finances.

Did they "buy" the house next to you, or are they renting from the owners? If they are renters, I would be threatening the owner of the house with a lawsuit that would soon have him evicting these people.

Good for you not allowing yourself to be bullied. Just let the cops know that you are trying to keep this issue within the confines of the law - however - if they leave you no choice but to protect your home and your assets then you will move to that level. And I'd let them know that I had documented EVERY single call I had placed to them and would be presenting it to my lawyer and the local media upon my arrest.

Best of luck to you - you really both deserve and need it.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,684,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
BTW, in this state you can't use a firearm unless someone is in your house.
Invite them in the house and as the first one enters put a bullet in his head. If they are drugged out like you say it would be very easy to tell the cops you thought they were looking to rob you. Who will the cops believe, you or the drugged out group?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,557,412 times
Bizarre.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,018,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm confused. Why don't the police believe you? Do you think there is a police conspiracy against you? How is this even a police department?
To quote a law enforcement officer in this town (in the sheriff's dept) "they are janitors with guns."

Quote:
You can't build a fence? Is it too much property? Do it all old school like we had overseas...big bamboo fence with barbed wire and broken glass across the top.
There is a fence. They jump it. I already checked into both barbed wire and electric fencing. Barbed wire isn't legal and electric fencing is not feasible.

Quote:
I just can't wrap my head around this situation. If ANYONE set foot on my property like these people are, I would go absolutely apesh*t.
Believe me, I have. On my birthday I sort of made a scene accusing him of things in front of another neighbor. I've emailed him, threatened him with the police, etc.

Quote:
Hell, go to the media and SHAME the stupid police into doing their effin' jobs.
Turn on the sprinklers at night.
Get a really big dog.
First I'll see where I get with headquarters today. First I have to be taken seriously. Like I said previously, they look the other way (or they have in my case for some reason). One woman ended up murdered here as a result of this police force blowing her off. I've already thought of sprinklers but they don't go into the pool area. Won't get a big dog as they'd poison it. The media is a great idea I will keep on my list.

Quote:
I don't know...I just don't know. I'd be all up in these people's face packing every piece of weaponry I own. I mean, they are trespassing. That is breaking the law. Not only that, but they tried to murder your family members. The least I'd do would be to take a 2x4 across their heads.
It's easy to say but I am not here to take care of my family if I am sitting in some jail cell. I carry my pepper spray and will use it (nothing illegal about that).

ETA: They also go into the other neighbors' yards, but don't stay there. I told them to knock that crap off especially with my next door neighbor who is an elderly woman living alone and that I'd nail them alone for that. These people are nuts and that is why I say drugs must be involved. Sane people do not behave this way and can not sustain the kind of hours they do spending time in my yard. I've gone so far as to threaten them with CPS. I do have to watch my step though as I don't want to end up on someone's hit list. I have also informed him that should anything happen to me all roads lead to him and the police know it along with many other parties (and I have told both the police and many people this as I have no enemies in this town).

Last edited by mistygrl092; 10-24-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't know about your state, but in my state, if you know something, you have to disclose it . . . you can't pretend something isn't happening when it is happening.

But I would worry about this problem first and how it will impact selling your house later. If you solve this problem, when you disclose it you can say, "I had a problem with neighbors, but it was taken care of and is not an issue anymore" - or something to that effect . . . check with a Realtor or any attorney when the time comes, but right now concentrate on what is in front of you.
Yes, this is sort of my thinking. But the more it escalates the more I fear I'll have to disclose it. As long as the police think it's nothing, even if a prospective buyer were to call them they'd say no incidents or nothing wrong. If I prove trespassing to them or if I'm successful in prosecuting and this information becomes available, all of a sudden I wonder if I can sell this house.

But I will worry about the immediate problem at hand first. Yes, good idea, but I tend to think about everything all at once especially as I sit here realizing I have GOT TO GO.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
You have a disclosure issue now, without any police or formal legal action occurring. Hostile neighbors who invade single female's property and intimidate her to me would be a material fact.

A Mossberg would be a good choice.
Oh boy, I just noticed you are a RE agent. Yikes. Now I'll never be able to get out of here. I do thank you for the info, but I'm not happy to hear this.

If I can get them out of my yard for a good period of time, do I still need to disclose? Can I simply say there were problems with the next door neighbor which have since resolved and leave it at that?

As far as a shotgun, isn't that buying a gun illegally? I am sort of hung up on following the law, even if others don't. The one thing I don't want to see happen is for me to end up in the slammer with my pets in the pound.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,954,186 times
You got no tresspassing signs up and such?
go buy a tazer .. and yes they are legal to own and use in your state .. walk out there & taze one of the offenders they are trespassing and you are not required to play nice ..
TASER® Stun Gun Laws

Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Oh, and they are starting in early this a.m.! (well, not really). Just saw them pop their heads over the wall from my elderly neighbor's yard. Went outside with my pepper spray and camera and told them over the wall to not even think about it and to get out of her yard and that they were trespassing - and on camera. Guarantee they'll be in my yard shortly.

If there is one thing this situation has done for me, it's given me patience and more courage. I just want to add for those of you who wonder, I don't get too close to the pool as I don't want to get thrown in. There are two of them and one of me and it would be very easy to just toss me in and hold my head under. Were it not for that pool, things would be very different. Of course, it would look very strange to find a fully clothed me dead in my pool, but I'd still be dead all the same.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 AM

673 posts, read 2,720,317 times
Some people have no boundaries. We've experienced it repeatedly over the years owning both commercial and residential property.

The police need absolute proof that a crime has been committed so that they don't wind up in court defending a potentially false arrest. Ask the police what proof is required in your state. In general: 1) Send a certified letter to the neighbor and copy the police. 2) Post no-trespass signs in multiple locations to cover people who may not have seen the letter and take photos of the signs with timestamps. 3) Take photos and/or run video cameras with timestamps. 4) Contact the police with proof. If you don't get help at that point, ask to speak to the commanding officer for your area.

You also have civil recourse. You can have an attorney inform the neighbor of pending civil action. Most people don't want to be sued. Whatever you do, only consider force to protect yourself or your loved ones. Setting traps is illegal. Defending property is iffy. Good luck. Our experience is that once trespassers learn that it is in their best interest to focus their energy somewhere else, they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals