Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:16 AM

65 posts, read 273,142 times

Advertisements

I never went to any malls while in Rapid City.Let me get this straight!

You have Rushmore Mall already and there is a new mall named Rushmore Crossing. Right?

Questions:

1) A few members here mentioned that the Rushmore Mall is probably going out of business, is this true?

2)Is Rushmore Crossing completed yet?

3)Is Rushmore Crossing is an outdoor mall?

4)How many Targets and Wal-Marts do you already have?

5)Do you have a Best Buy?

No offense, but if Rushmore Crossing is an outdoor mall...how do you shop comfortably during the harsh Rapid City winters and high winds? That doesn't make sense...maybe in Las Vegas, Miami, or San Diego.

If Rushmore Mall is gone when I get there and Rushmore Crossing is an outdoor venue, I might have to order online a lot more... at least in winter.

Last edited by Kwame Y; 12-07-2008 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,898 times
1) A few members here mentioned that the Rushmore Mall is probably going out of business, is this true?

No NOT true. A lot of stores are leaving the mall but they will bounce back. They will have a rough 2009 as Target has not sold their old building yet, and they won't get anything in that space until Target does so. I'm not sure if Scheels owns their spot, I doubt it. So they could already have a plan for the Scheels space. Even so, malls always have down time because the new renter of the space would have to remodel first. It will be at least a year til Rushmore Mall bounces back, but they'll survive.

2)Is Rushmore Crossing completed yet?
The first phase is, it's supposed to be 3 phases I think. There are a dozen or so stores open so far.

3)Is Rushmore Crossing is an outdoor mall?
Yes it is. I've been to many before, in Omaha, Lincoln, Kansas City. They actually perform better. People can park outside the store they want to go to without having to walk thru the entire mall to get to it. You don't have to deal with the haggling kiosk spaces as you walk thru the mall (I HATE those at Christmas time).

4)How many Targets and Wal-Marts do you already have?
1 of each. Target will not build a 2nd one here. (I've worked for them for many years). When LNT went under, Target bought their spot at the new mall (right next door) so Target can expand into it someday. But that still isn't enough space for a SuperTarget. The rule is, there must be another Target within 50 miles, to get a SuperTarget in town. Walmart is trying to build a 2nd one, but people that live in the mountain view keep fighting it.

5)Do you have a Best Buy?
Yes

No offense, but if Rushmore Crossing is an outdoor mall...how do you shop comfortably during the harsh Rapid City winters and high winds? That doesn't make sense...maybe in Las Vegas, Miami, or San Diego. Again, this is the new thing. They have had many successes with outdoor malls in the cold markets across the country. I can unload my stuff into my car after shopping at Target, then move my car to the other end of the mall if I want to stop at a store down there. It's really not inconvenient or a hassle in any way. It's no different than parking at Walmart and bearing the winds to enter their store to shop.

If Rushmore Mall is gone when I get there and Rushmore Crossing is an outdoor venue, I might have to order online a lot more... at least in winter. Rushmore Mall isn't leaving any time soon.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,813 times
As with outdoor malls, they are moving dirt for an outdoor mall/lifestyle center in the eastern part of Sioux Falls city limits. I agree with asnat in that outdoor lifestyle centers catching on well in the colder climates. The outdoor malls in Omaha seem to be busy and thriving and there are more in places such as Colorado, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
No way the Rushmore Mall is closing. JC Penny's is going to move into the old Target location when JCP (an anchor store) goes through a remodel.

The crossing will not replace the Rushmore Mall. And its SD we are someone used to cold windy weather.

Was at the new Target about a month ago. I wasn't totally impressed with the selection... The store was nice. The layout wasn't totally aweful... But I would have done things a bit differently if I was to design the layout.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,718,728 times
Outdoor malls do pretty well even in cold climates. The Shops at Centerra in Loveland, CO is an outdoor mall and it's alwaya pretty busy. It has a 10 screen theater and some really nice restaurants like PF Chang's, On the Border, and Biaggi's. If I remember, it had some high-end stores, a Macy's, and a Dick's Sporting Goods too. It's across I-29 from The Outlets which are all outdoor too.

Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Centerra

Rushmore Mall probably won't close down but it is in need of a serious revamping. It has no theme or atmosphere and there are a lot of available spaces too. The floor is an ugly beige tile, the outside is an ugly concrete from the 80s, the loading dock is right out front by the Cafe Court, and Quizno's moved out so I'm really ticked off!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 PM

65 posts, read 273,142 times
Default Thank you folks

Thank you everyone.

I feel better with your "logical" comments.

Ashnat, "you're right" about, "it's like going into Wal Mart on a cold windy day".

I am glad to hear that the Rushmore Mall is safe for now. It's nice to have more than 1 option, more competition + plus the option to shop many different stores indoors on the worst days too.

Danny, great info... but are they planning on building a "nice" movie theater at the Rushmore Crossing as well? Additionally, will they have any kind of food-court at the Crossing's?

Thanks everyone

Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM

Kwame, I don't think Rushmore Crossing is supposed to have a food court but instead restaurants. Bucca di Beppo, Ted's Montana Grill, Johnny Carino's, and Atlanta Bread Co were all some possibilities on the original site plans. On the Border is being built up on North Street near Menard's. I hope they have an outdoor patio because if it faces west they will have a great view.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Now if they would get a Famous Dave's that would be really ducky.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 AM

I'm still holding out for a Macaroni Grille!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Outdoor malls do pretty well even in cold climates. The Shops at Centerra in Loveland, CO is an outdoor mall and it's alwaya pretty busy. It has a 10 screen theater and some really nice restaurants like PF Chang's, On the Border, and Biaggi's. If I remember, it had some high-end stores, a Macy's, and a Dick's Sporting Goods too. It's across I-29 from The Outlets which are all outdoor too.

Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Centerra

Rushmore Mall probably won't close down but it is in need of a serious revamping. It has no theme or atmosphere and there are a lot of available spaces too. The floor is an ugly beige tile, the outside is an ugly concrete from the 80s, the loading dock is right out front by the Cafe Court, and Quizno's moved out so I'm really ticked off!
I hae been to this shopping complex two months ago when visiting my brother and relatives. The shopping area is laid nice and was a good experienced. My favorite stores there were Aeropostale and Dick's Sporting Goods. This is getting me excited for when Dawley Farm gets up and going in Sioux Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City