Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,158,849 times

Advertisements

My daughter had a great idea, she wants us to do something as a family over the summer. Maybe a weekly pottery class, or art, or etc. just something we can all do together (She is 10, plus mom and dad).

Any ideas?

We live down toward Sanford, so Southern Wake is OK, Apex areas, Pittsboro Area, Sanford, Holly Springs, Fuquay, etc. Not so good for anything North if I-40)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 AM

476 posts, read 1,684,295 times
Great idea! Do you have a garden? That is a great ongoing family activity and teaches some valuable life lessons and skills.

I was raised LDS and they are well known for their strong family values. They host a weekly "Family Home Evening"; one night each week was dedicated JUST to family activities. Even as a teen we enjoyed this time set aside just for family. Usually we would rotate who got to choose the activity, my summer favorite was making homemade ice cream (old-fashioned churn kind). Always nice when the fruits of your labor can be enjoyed.

If you have not been out to the Fearrington Inn - it is a must see (especially for a 10 year old). Take a camera or sketch book too! It is easy to spend several hours putetring around the farm, gardens, bookstore & shops, then stay for lunch!The Farm at Fearrington Village

Apex Community Center offers some activities, and there area couple of painting studios nearby that give classes. Here is the Apex Parks & Rec site: Parks and Recreation : Community Center Programs

You don't mention Cary, but since it abuts Apex, here is their Parks & Rec program guide: Programs and Classes

Have a great time!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your many good suggestions.

Yes, we've always had a huge garden, and we work around the house and in the yard as a family.

Yes, very familiar with Farrington Village

Yes, Cary is OK (anything South of 40)

All your suggestions are great (and thanks for the links too!). I'm specifically looking for organized classes that would bring us all together. That we'd all do together, at the same time.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,174,075 times
Look at the Cary brochure that Brooks207 posted, under Arts, page 36, bottom of the left hand column. They have parent/child clay classes. You can then go to the open studio together on Tuesdays. Info on that is on the left-hand side of p 34.

In our experience, the clay classes in Cary are excellent.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 AM

476 posts, read 1,684,295 times
I came across this too - nice "Enrichment Classes" resource for the area. Many noted are geared for kids, but often they will offer open or private classes as well.

https://carolinaparent.com/Directori...ent.php?did=18

Old 05-31-2010, 05:32 PM

Thanks to both of you (I had missed the clay class on P34, but it is the kind of thing I'm looking for)

Reps to both of you, thanks!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

635 posts, read 3,101,459 times
You might check with the Temple Theater. I'm not sure they have any family classes per se, but maybe it would be something they would consider.

But during the summer the Temple does have two children's conservatories. Our children have participated for three years and love it. Although parents aren't directly part of the conservatory itself, parents are encouraged to volunteer for activities such as building/painting sets and just generally helping with the production. My wife often spends hours helping them out, sewing costumes, etc.

Although with all the local potters in the Sanford area one might think there is a public studio where a family could make some pottery, that doesn't exist as far as I know. But you might try calling around to some of the pottery stores/artisans and ask. You never know, they may have something like that, or entertain an afternoon of pottery decorating.

You might also check with CCCC to see if they have any classes or suggestions.

Good luck!
Al

Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM

9,159 posts, read 14,854,858 times
May be too late, but try this place, Paint your Pot. They are in Cary off 55. Welcome to Paint Your Pot! . It is a ceramic studio where you purchase the white shell of all kinds of stuff and you apply the glaze. It can be customzed however you want since you make it.

I think they have project classes, but I am not sure about each week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary