Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,310,881 times

Advertisements

This Friday I'm thinking of checking out the free music performance by Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band at the Music on the Lawn Series (http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict.com/music_on_the_lawn.html - broken link) at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham. I'm curious what these events are like and what exactly the American Tobacco Campus is??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:42 PM

55 posts, read 175,855 times
I've heard through people at work that it's a really chill and family friendly atmosphere. Also get there early because it does get jam packed. Its also nice that you can go into the nearby restaurants, order something to go and eat it on the lawn. I don't know if they're allowing coolers or not. But overall it's really great.

Sorry, that's all I have to add. We were planning on attending the same performance but a last minute trip has ruined our plans. Please post and let us know how much you liked it!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 PM

159 posts, read 609,428 times
Quote:
I'm curious what these events are like and what exactly the American Tobacco Campus is??
American Tobacco Campus is only one of the coolest places in the Triangle! I love the creative use of what was once just a bunch of old tobacco warehouses. The brick work on the buildings is wonderful - who would have known how artistic it could look? A river runs through it. Really. Which is the most excellent feature of all. The restaurants around are laid back and nifty, and the atmosphere at the music events is usually superb. I went to one last year - dogs, professors, young professionals, kids, you name it and it was there, all mixed together with a good vibe.

Yes, I can get a bit excited about the American Tobacco Campus.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 PM

50 posts, read 150,423 times
My wife and I attended one of those concerts at the American Tobacco Campus a few weeks back. I was surprised how PAAAAACKED it was. We went just for people watching and wandering around and had a fine time. I would suggest if you're planning to stay and listen, get there early and stake out a spot on the grass.

As for your question about what the American Tobacco Campus is, it's a renovation of an old tobacco facility right next to where the Bulls play. You can read all about it online. I don't know if I can provide a link or not. So, just google it and you'll learn all about it.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 PM

59 posts, read 151,798 times
FYI, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band is GREAT funk band and they put on a very energetic show. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,310,881 times
Thanks for the great insight everybody. I am psyched to check it out and hear some good free music. I will take some pictures (if allowed) and post them back here. Looking forward to it!

~ NRG

Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,196,821 times
NRG, sure you'll be allowed to take pics. the ATC Music on the Lawn events are great. I'm pretty sure you can bring coolers, but it's fun to get a pizza from Mellow Mushroom at eat on the lawn. Tyler's sells beer and hot dogs, too. The bands set up underneath the Lucky Strike water tower, which is set in a pool of water, connected to the lawn and walkways by two bridges. (by the way, this tower gets lit up at Christmastime.)

One caution--plan to get there early tomorrow. There's baseball at the DBAP tomorrow night (USA Baseball, not the Bulls), so parking might be tight.

Enjoy!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 PM

847 posts, read 3,525,423 times
I had heard no coolers... and confirmed it says that on the website:
American Tobacco News (http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict.com/news/motl.asp - broken link)

Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 AM

49 posts, read 152,227 times
The campus is right behind the new (do we still call it new?) Durham Bulls Athletic Park. It's a beautiful campus with at least 3 restaurants. Parking kind of sucks. The parking deck is one hour only for public parking--though I'm not sure if this holds true for the weekend.

At any rate, its a good weekend for free live music, with Cravin Melon at Raleigh Downtown Live on Saturday Downtown Live (http://www.raleighdowntownlive.com/schedule.php - broken link)

Oh--and when there is no morning jam of traffic I can make it from west Clayton to Durham in 35 minutes; Clayton to downtown Raleigh in 20 mins.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:56 PM

847 posts, read 3,525,423 times
In the evenings, for ball games and ATC events, you can park for the whole time, not just an hour. They have lots of parking attendants directing traffic. There is a lot of traffic, but it's well-managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary