Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times

Advertisements

sounds like a Michael Moore movie, but I finally went there tonight after missing it completely while driving right by several times in the last 14 months....

my wife works there and didnt even realize the extent of it. but anyways, what an awesome place! just so full of cool stuff, happy people, and amazing waterways/fountains. i officially like something about durham that's not related to Duke ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Cool. Do you like nature? Check out the Eno River and maybe you'll like three things in Durham.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Get a copy of the Natasha Richardson movie "The Handmaid's Tale" and watch the early scenes, which were filmed at that campus when it was still actually a (no longer functional) warehouse. All of the scenes at the beginning where people are herded off of trucks and into camps, etc were filmed there. I'm an extra in a few scenes. Most of the movie (filmed in the spring of 1989) was made in Durham, with a few scenes in Raleigh or the mountains.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
ATC is a pretty cool place. we take visitors there at least once and grab a bite either at Mellow Mushroom or Tyler's. i have yet to hit up a Bulls game, but it seems like hitting up either for a bite before the game and then the game itself would make a great evening. we did that for Fiddler on the Roof when it played at DPAC and had a great time. btw, skip Cafe Zen. we ate there once; the food was meh and the service sucked.

i wish ATC or the surrounding area had a bit more shopping, though. as cool as it must be to have an office down there or live there, it seems like it could have had more potential as some sort of shopping center, maybe a bit more like Brightleaf Square. and man, those waterfalls can get insanely loud the closer you get to the far end!!!

Mike

Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Get a copy of the Natasha Richardson movie "The Handmaid's Tale" and watch the early scenes, which were filmed at that campus when it was still actually a (no longer functional) warehouse. All of the scenes at the beginning where people are herded off of trucks and into camps, etc were filmed there. I'm an extra in a few scenes. Most of the movie (filmed in the spring of 1989) was made in Durham, with a few scenes in Raleigh or the mountains.
Oh, I love that movie!!! (The book is better but isn't it always.) I had no idea it was filmed in this area. I haven't watched it in years. Now, I'm going to have to rent it again to see if I recognize any places. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
sounds like a Michael Moore movie, but I finally went there tonight after missing it completely while driving right by several times in the last 14 months....

my wife works there and didnt even realize the extent of it. but anyways, what an awesome place! just so full of cool stuff, happy people, and amazing waterways/fountains. i officially like something about durham that's not related to Duke ;-)

What no pictures? Is this like your "trip" to Fuquay when you "forgot" your camera?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ct-durham.html

Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What no pictures? Is this like your "trip" to Fuquay when you "forgot" your camera?

Funny that you posted those. If they knew, they would probably object. I was taking photographs just for fun since I, too, think it's an amazing place. A security officer stopped me and told me to stop taking photos. Somewhere inside is a sign that also indicates that permission is required before posting photographs. Ya never know, NRG, you might have a wanted photo posted somewhere in their main security office.

Anyway, I would love to see more of the internal design make its way outside of the American Tobacco. Imagine if some of the areas downtown or surrounding had a river type walk in the city. Would love that! But, I'm partial to water features. The American Tobacco's water feature is amazingly beautiful.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Interesting timing. Took the family to see the bulls last night. We've been going to bulls games for years, but always parked to whereever they hearded us. We ended up in the north parking deck (near the train) and had the EXACT same reaction last night. What an awesome place, and expecially the water, and I even said to my wife that we need to come back (sans kid) for a night out.

Awesome

Old 07-25-2009, 06:01 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

LOL
yes, it's just like that!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Oh, I love that movie!!! (The book is better but isn't it always.) I had no idea it was filmed in this area. I haven't watched it in years. Now, I'm going to have to rent it again to see if I recognize any places. Thanks for the tip!
I'm going to do the same!! Loved the book....very eerie but totally engrossing. Read it years and years ago, might have to do a re-read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary