Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM

129 posts, read 682,853 times

Advertisements

I have 2 sons...one is 3, the other 5. They are both hesistant/scared of the water and our attempts to give them swim lessons hasn't been very successful. These classes have been very low key and sporadic so I am looking for advice for effective/intensive swim class/instructors that can have my kids move passed their fears and swimming like fish by the summer's end.

Any recommendations for instructors in the area?

I would think my kids would benefit the most from 1x1 interaction rather then a large class setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthok View Post
I would think my kids would benefit the most from 1x1 interaction rather then a large class setting.
most kids would... and not just for swimming.
---

Do you swim? Well? Often?
Belong to a Y or neighborhood pool?
(see where I'm going here?)

The largest part of swimming is really instinctual.
This is why so many do that "throw 'em in the deep end" thing... it works.
Well, it mostly works.

Get some water wings and and a kick-board for each.
Show them the separate skills like kicking and arm strokes and blowing bubbles...
and how to "pop up" above the surface to breathe.

That breathing only above the water level thing is the only real trick to it...
they just need to feel safe when their faces are under water.

Once they have some confidence about not drowning...
then work on swimming well.
---

like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTqV6LPl8c

Old 05-20-2011, 07:35 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
I'd focus on having fun with your kids in the water first, especially if they are hesitant and scared of the water. Find a pool with a low angle entry where they can make their way into the water at their own pace (the Meadowmont pool in Chapel Hill is great, for example). You can also try a life jacket that gives a large range of motion...we've used puddle jumpers, which worked great for our kids.

Amazon.com: Stearns Kids Puddle Jumper Deluxe Life Jacket: Sports & Outdoors

Go to the pool with some friends for your kids. In the end, swimming lessons will likely be useless until they associate the pool with fun. It does not sound like this is the case yet.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,878,027 times
The city of Raleigh offers swim classes that are very effective. A small group setting might be more helpful to your children by allowing them to see other children their own age swimming.....something to consider.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The city of Raleigh offers swim classes that are very effective. A small group setting might be more helpful to your children by allowing them to see other children their own age swimming.....something to consider.
I don't know about VERY effective

We've enrolled our son in Raleigh city swim classes before, and will probably do it again this summer. They are taught by kids in high school, which is not necessarily bad, and they generally have small class sizes of 5 or 6 kids, sometimes less. Our son is not afraid of the water. . . . . that's our problem. . . . . . and is rather reckless. We're trying to give him a healthy respect for the water while having fun.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
We used both group and private instruction at the Cary Aquatics center. The classes took my son from being a fearful and hesitant swimmer to 100% confidence. IT took both water time and self confidence from the instruction to get where he did. We also played in the shallow end of our pool every day so the combination of lessons and non-pressured pool play got him comfortable in the water.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 AM

16 posts, read 83,134 times
From what we have seen, swimming lessons in the triangle are sub par. We see classes with too many students, poor teachers and swim schools that allow children in the class who do not match the level. This has been our biggest disappoint in our move here. (I will say that there are some amazing swimmers here so kids must overcome this somehow!)

We have tried multiple classes and I do agree that the private instruction at the Cary Aquatics center is the best we have found. Again in this scenario, you need to find the best instructor. They are not all great.

Some things that may help are the following: taking them swimming or give them lessons everyday for a period of time (one to three weeks). Making sure they swim all year round so they do not lose their confidence.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,792 times
My 5 1/2 year old is very cautious of the water. He would never put his face in, even in the bath. This is his personality, anything new is very scary for him.

We moved here in Feb and I found the Triangle Swim School. My son has had only three lessons so far, but last week he was dunking completely under water and even tried to "swim" under my legs in the shallow end. This is a kid who would cry if splashed a month ago!!

The classes are tiny. Two kids of similar age and ability and one instructor. I am thrilled with this place! Only catch is that it's difficult to get "in" for your first class. Priority goes to families already enrolled. I also found the website a little difficult to navigate/register. But it was worth the effort, in my opinion. We'll be sticking with this swim school!

Hope this helps!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
I would definitely recommend 1) finding a private 1 on 1 swim teacher if you can--do you have a community pool with a lifeguard? Ask if the lifeguard(s) have experience teaching swim lessons and hire them.

We lived in FL and had a pool in our back yard. Our elder child would freak out about her head in the water from the time she was a baby. She was 6 or so before she was anywhere near ready, and she spent her entire childhood with a pool or at the beach. Her younger sister at age 18mo would tell us to move out of her way, jump in, sink, and kick her way up before she'd let us touch her. Total fish from early on. In my experience, you can't MAKE kids take to water. Some kids take a LOT longer to get there, and patience is the key. You need to remove the urgency from your approach and try to find someone young and fun and experienced/certified who can spend about an hour or so with them per week for a number of weeks to take the fear out of it. That's what eventually helped my elder child.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 49,101 times
I have 3 sons who never participated in any swimming lessons. The youngest is 6 years old andhe was a bit afraid of the water in his eyes. I signed them up for Pullen Park Aquatics. There are many instructors there who were not high school age. They also offer one on one. While I was there I saw many children who may have been scared of the water, possible behavioral issues and other special needs. All of the instructors appeared very knowledgeable and sincere wth assisting the children. My children completed the first course of intro to swimming this past 4/11-5/11 for about four weeks. The class sizes were quite small, but maybe your children would do better one on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary