Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:06 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

I've got a friend coming into town next weekend for a conference associated with his job. We were in the same social club back in Dallas. Our meetings were always held in brew-pubs, bars, and tap-houses. While he's here, I'd like to take him out and visit a few businesses that serve good beer.

"good" beer = not mass-produced pale-lager swill I'd prefer micros and imports.

My preference would be a walking pub-crawl. My wife could drop us off at one place at the start of the evening, then we could walk around and have a beer at a few places, and then my wife could come back and pick us up at another place at the end of the evening.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I need to think about a good "Crawl" route, but if Micro Brews are your thing, you guys shoud check out the Flying Saucer in Downtwon Raleigh. More beers on tap there than I can count. Probably wouln't find a more diverse beer list in the Triangle Area.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I need to think about a good "Crawl" route, but if Micro Brews are your thing, you guys shoud check out the Flying Saucer in Downtwon Raleigh. More beers on tap there than I can count. Probably wouln't find a more diverse beer list in the Triangle Area.
Yes. The Saucer was at the top of my list also. I saw a place called "The Pour House" on Moore Square. What's that place like? There are also a few other places on the way up Glenwood, but I've never been to any of them.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM

64 posts, read 251,136 times
The Poor House is pretty popular for seeing a band. Not the greatest beer selection but better than an average bar. The good thing is you have Tir Na Nog right next door which is an Irish Pub so you can get some Guinness, Harp, Boddingtions, etc.

Flying Saucer is definitely the #1 choice for beer (over 200 to choose from). From there, you have a short walk to the PowerHouse district (Blue Martini, 42nd Street, etc) and the renowned Glenwood South. Glenwood is definitely easier for a crawl but can put a hurt on your wallet in a hurry.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
I wish I was in Raleigh now. I would get us all together to do a trial run on the pub crawl for New User. I am a helper, I am a giver. I would spend my entire Friday night doing research on the best pubs and beer just to help our good friend "New User". Damm the bad luck.....

Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Does anyone know about the Raleigh Times bar? Supposedly it's about a block west of Moore Square. I found a website for them, not sure if it's current, and they seem to have an impressive beer list:

http://0062110.netsolhost.com/images/BeerMenu_Sm.pdf (broken link)

Does that make your mouth water, or what?

Old 05-11-2007, 05:24 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
That's very funny...I don't consider myself a 'hip' person, but I was also going to recommend The Saucer and The Pour House. I guess I'm not that square after all!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Any more ideas? Cmon, even the "Raleigh Dive Bars" thread got over 20 responses

Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I've got a friend coming into town next weekend for a conference associated with his job. We were in the same social club back in Dallas. Our meetings were always held in brew-pubs, bars, and tap-houses. While he's here, I'd like to take him out and visit a few businesses that serve good beer.

"good" beer = not mass-produced pale-lager swill I'd prefer micros and imports.

My preference would be a walking pub-crawl. My wife could drop us off at one place at the start of the evening, then we could walk around and have a beer at a few places, and then my wife could come back and pick us up at another place at the end of the evening.

Any recommendations?

OH way later than you needed.... BUT if you have an interest. I am setting up an irish Pub crawl on August 18th we will take in all 3 great Irish pubs in Raleigh. 1st stop Tir Na Nog. then Napper Tandy and onto the Hibernian and back to Tir Na nog for the final round from Wake Count Pipes & drums along the way.. Plus great music from Dublins crazy Paddy GIbney.. check
IrishEventsNC Main Page for all the details
Take care
Annie:

Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Check out this website: SouthEast’s Live Music, Entertainment & NightLife Calendar
You'll have to work a little to get to Raleigh but it has area bars and their weekly specials/entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary