Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 12,535 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been considering a move to the Triangle from northern NJ for quite some time now. Our only daughter is graduating from college, and we feel the time is right! We have visited the area several times, and liked a lot of what we have seen. This forum has been a great help in answering a lot of our questions with regard to neighborhoods and home prices, however, while there is a great deal of inforrmation for young families, we are hoping to find info on the opposite..are there neighbotrhoods, aside from the retirement communities (we are not quite there yet, just 50 this year!) where we would fit in? Our daughter will (hopefully! ) move with us, and we are looking to find a neighborhood where the ages are at least mixed, and we will have something in common with our neighbors. We just don't want to be the oldest in the neighborhood! My husband works from home, so the commute is not really an issue for him, although I am a teacher, and hope to find a postition after we are settled. We loved the Sunset Ridge area, but know there are so many others that we might be missing! Ideally, we are looking to spend approximately 300,000 for a treed, even wooded property on not less than 1/4 acre. Any advice on neighborhoods or other towns you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,341 times
There are many terrific neighborhoods in the overall area, but I think that you're headed in the right direction with the Sunset Ridge area. Holly Springs is a great town and although the majority of citizens are probably younger couples with young children, my husband and I are in our mid-50's and find that there are a good number of folks in our age group around town. I think that possibly because the average incomes are not too high-end, and it still has a rather small town feel to it, Holly Springs draws "more mature" ;-) folks that may be trying to cut back a bit and get out of the rat-race. Where ever you settle, you've made a good choice with NC (we're northern transplants, too!) and good luck!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Advice for almost empty nesters

Plum08 - Thank you so much for your reply! It is good to know we are headed in the right direction, and will find some new friends! Your description (lol on the "more mature") sounds like it will be just what we are looking for! We are listing our house officially on 3/31 and hopefully will be down sometime this summer. Thanks again, and have a great day

Old 03-07-2010, 02:19 PM

100 posts, read 295,468 times
You might try North Ridge in Raleigh and Old Hope Valley in Durham. Someone 50 years old is still young, well IMO they are.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Thank you nipsip, we will look into these areas as well. And yes, I ageee with you!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,738,653 times
You ought to check out the Stonehenge area of North Raleigh. It is so convenient to everything a person would need or want, in a beautiful setting. Right near Creedmoor Road, just south of 540, between the two beltlines. Feels like you're not in a city at all. And mature landscaping makes for a spectacular spring and autumn.

A drive down Glenwood Ave. which is a very nice older area, with historic homes will get you to downtown Raleigh in about 15-20 mins. with no need to hop on an expressway.

There are some unique neighborhoods right off of Creedmoor Rd. just around the 540 beltline, and right near Stonehenge. Also, the Bedford area near Durant Road is a place lots of people also like.

Happy move time!
best,
toodie

Old 03-07-2010, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 30,414 times
Morrisville is where I live and it's great for all ages. It's geographically right in the middle of everything, although sometimes overlooked. There's a lot of development going on here, but I still pass a cow pasture on my way to school.
As for your age, you'll do just fine anywhere in the area. Apex has a very nice downtown area, featuring cute shops and Peak City Grill, a wonderful restaurant. That's not too far from southern Raleigh.
Cary also has everything you could ask for, and is constantly recognized as one of the best places to live. That borders both Apex and Morrisville.
But entertainment (especially at Cary's Booth Amphitheatre), wine shops, museums, and great shopping are all over the triangle area.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
My husband's work brought us to the area in 2005. My daughter graduated from HS, and I retired from teaching. For the first 6 months, we rented an apartment, using the 2 car garage that was attached for 'storage,' and ventured out every weekend to look at different neighborhoods and areas.

We moved out of a house that was too much for us in the Spring of last year, and are very pleased with the one we are in here in Highcroft, just across HWY 55 in SW Cary. Great location, within easy access to anything we choose to do. The neighborhood itself is a great mix of all ages -- people our age(s), families with HS and MS children, and young families with little ones. There is a wide variety of homes in different plans and square footage, but most of the lots are .19 acre, so if you are looking for a sprawling lawn, you won't find it here. We, however, are most happy to have our weekends free -- it takes maybe 20 minutes to cut the grass, trim what might need trimming, and blow the sidewalks clean.

Folks are friendly, many have dogs they walk on the sidewalks and trails. The crowd interested in running marathons and cycling, get together to do that; others play bunco, or belong to book groups. I'd like to start a bride group, myself, for those who want to play just for fun. The community pool is well-maintained, and in the summer, a lot of people will get together poolside.

You will find many nice areas like this throughout the Raleigh-Durham area, and given the current economy, can have your pick of homes and neighborhoods.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question! Everyone is so helpful on this board, and we appreciate all of you taking the time to advise us in our search, and sharing your experiences with us! We too, RDSLOTS, are thinking about renting for a short time, and exploring all the area has..thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary