Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,374 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice....
I'm considering a job that is located near Tysonville and Rex Healthcare in Raleigh. My wife and I are soon to be empty nesters who want to be in a relatively urban setting where we can walk most anywhere we want to go (we'd be moving from 30 miles outside of Boston where it is fairly rural). Is downtown Raleigh the place to be (and if so what neighborhoods should we look into?) or are there some other (better?) happening areas outside of downtown that are active even though they're not in the heart of downtown? We're looking for a place where we can walk to restaurants, bars, theaters, breakfast, stores, etc. even if it means I have to commute to the Rex Healthcare area up to 30 minutes. Our budget is up to $600K and I'd like something newer or that has been completely renovated and updated and close to the action. I'm not into the historical properties and we are not real interested in a high rise condo but would consider either detached single homes or condos (loft style or townhouse). Would especially like a condo if it were close to the action and was also unique like an old renovated warehouse or industrial complex turned into lofts in a nice area. We don't want anything too big (prefer something less than 2500 sq. ft) and need 3 bedrooms. If it has a yard, I want something small and manageable. Does this exist in Raleigh and, if so, can you suggest the areas I might find something like that? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,113,574 times
Been here nearly 20 years and never heard the name "Tysonville," but I see from Googling that it looks like it is across from the street from Rex Hospital. But I don't think there is anything there that really indicates anything about "Tysonville." There are many names on maps in Raleigh that are pretty meaningless, e.g. "Pecan Acres" and "New Hope" and may reflect place names popular in the last century.

Raleigh is mostly suburban, and it's small.

I can't think of anything that meets your needs. I recommend renting and not buying right away.

You might try looking in the Glenwood Avenue area. Lots of restaurants. Also the Cameron Village area. Cameron Village is a shopping area. Both areas are near downtown and are considered "inside the beltline" (440), where there are mostly older and sometimes historical properties.

If you live downtown, there are high rises. But you don't want that.

Raleigh doesn't really have much in the form of loft living.

If I were you, I'd look into "Olde Raleigh" condos or apartments. They are very convenient to Rex -- and are not old but are relatively new. You wouldn't be far from anything. No yard, though. The 3-bedroom seems to cost nearly double the 2-bedroom, and the 2-bedroom has an office that looks like it could be used as a bedroom.

The easiest way to live in Raleigh is to have a car. You have all kinds of options for housing. Everything is very convenient. But there aren't many places to live where you can walk everywhere for every need.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-07-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 AM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Ditto Camerion Village area, between there and Downtown.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,325,033 times
Saying you want to be in a relatively urban setting doesn't really jibe well with being in Raleigh. This isn't a very urban place in general.

I do agree with the Cameron Village idea, but it's definitely not gonna feel as urban as moving to Boston.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM

There is an old cotton mill on Capital Boulevard that was converted into 50 condos a while back. You might want to look into those as well. I don't know anything else about them.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,211,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Been here nearly 20 years and never heard the name "Tysonville," but I see from Googling that it looks like it is across from the street from Rex Hospital. But I don't think there is anything there that really indicates anything about "Tysonville." There are many names on maps in Raleigh that are pretty meaningless, e.g. "Pecan Acres" and "New Hope" and may reflect place names popular in the last century.

Raleigh is mostly suburban, and it's small.

I can't think of anything that meets your needs. I recommend renting and not buying right away.

You might try looking in the Glenwood Avenue area. Lots of restaurants. Also the Cameron Village area. Cameron Village is a shopping area. Both areas are near downtown and are considered "inside the beltline" (440), where there are mostly older and sometimes historical properties.

If you live downtown, there are high rises. But you don't want that.

Raleigh doesn't really have much in the form of loft living.

If I were you, I'd look into "Olde Raleigh" condos or apartments. They are very convenient to Rex -- and are not old but are relatively new. You wouldn't be far from anything. No yard, though. The 3-bedroom seems to cost nearly double the 2-bedroom, and the 2-bedroom has an office that looks like it could be used as a bedroom.

The easiest way to live in Raleigh is to have a car. You have all kinds of options for housing. Everything is very convenient. But there aren't many places to live where you can walk everywhere for every need.
uh....The Cotton Mill???? Caraleigh Mills??? The Hudson??? These are loft conversion condos. In the case of The Hudson, it's in the very center of DT.

I have both lived in the "Olde Raleigh" area on Duraleigh and DT and would totally steer the OP away from the "Olde Raleigh" area. It's not going to be what they seek. While I agree with you that a car is needed to live in Raleigh as I am sure it was for them 30 miles outside of Boston or, frankly, most everywhere in the US, I don't agree that it's always necessary when you live in DT Raleigh. For me the current sweet spot is the NW corner of DT proper in Glenwood South or its immediately adjacent neighborhoods to the West or North. These areas afford walkability (or free DT circulator bus) to everything downtown along with a reasonable walk to Cameron Village should they desire to not get in their car.
As for housing, there are pockets of single family homes that could work for the OP along with some midrise condos like The Paramount that would not be "hi-rise" living.

I think that there's a general lack of understanding in the Raleigh area for what's happening DT. This is especially true for those who don't live or work there or don't choose to visit often. In the 16 years that I have owned/lived DT, the changes and improvements have been tremendous and I expect that to only accelerate as the economy picks up steam and more corporations choose downtown over RTP and the burbs. With Citrix Systems opening in the Warehouse District in the coming year+, I expect it to be yet another shot in the arm to DT activity.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Yes, I did add the Cotton Mill in a later post. So sue me. It was early in the morning.

Can you not add information without insulting people?

I would not want to live in the center of downtown or at Caraleigh Mills. I don't feel comfortable recommending them. I love VISITING downtown. It's great. It's 10 minutes away.

But maybe THEY would want to live there. Maybe they wouldn't. I never intended my post to be the end-all of all opinions.

We all have opinions and perspectives.

Geesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
uh....The Cotton Mill???? Caraleigh Mills??? The Hudson??? These are loft conversion condos. In the case of The Hudson, it's in the very center of DT.

I think that there's a general lack of understanding in the Raleigh area for what's happening DT. This is especially true for those who don't live or work there or don't choose to visit often.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,280,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

I have both lived in the "Olde Raleigh" area on Duraleigh and DT and would totally steer the OP away from the "Olde Raleigh" area. It's not going to be what they seek. While I agree with you that a car is needed to live in Raleigh as I am sure it was for them 30 miles outside of Boston or, frankly, most everywhere in the US, I don't agree that it's always necessary when you live in DT Raleigh. For me the current sweet spot is the NW corner of DT proper in Glenwood South or its immediately adjacent neighborhoods to the West or North. These areas afford walkability (or free DT circulator bus) to everything downtown along with a reasonable walk to Cameron Village should they desire to not get in their car.
As for housing, there are pockets of single family homes that could work for the OP along with some midrise condos like The Paramount that would not be "hi-rise" living.

I think that there's a general lack of understanding in the Raleigh area for what's happening DT. This is especially true for those who don't live or work there or don't choose to visit often. In the 16 years that I have owned/lived DT, the changes and improvements have been tremendous and I expect that to only accelerate as the economy picks up steam and more corporations choose downtown over RTP and the burbs. With Citrix Systems opening in the Warehouse District in the coming year+, I expect it to be yet another shot in the arm to DT activity.
I agree! DT has a lot going on in the way of condos. Once the OP gets here, they'll see they have lots of options to choose from.

Vicki

Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 8,374 times
Thanks, All. I really appreciate all of the feedback. We've done some additional research and are now considering single-family homes with a nice but small yard that is updated/new and walkable to a nice downtown area. I've heard a lot about Apex's downtown although it's small. Can you provide any preferences for the best downtown area outside of downtown Raleigh and close to Rex Hospital? We're prepared to pay from $300K-$600K.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrogers2012 View Post
Thanks, All. I really appreciate all of the feedback. We've done some additional research and are now considering single-family homes with a nice but small yard that is updated/new and walkable to a nice downtown area. I've heard a lot about Apex's downtown although it's small. Can you provide any preferences for the best downtown area outside of downtown Raleigh and close to Rex Hospital? We're prepared to pay from $300K-$600K.
Cary is doing a ton of work downtown, but like the rest of Cary, the downtown area is a bit sprawling.
Still, services and arts and some restaurants are walkable.
It is finding housing stock that you will find suitable which may take some work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary