Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 PM

532 posts, read 2,846,884 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about relocating to the Triangle Area and need your input as to where we might best fit...
  • She's 45 and he's 60.
  • Empty nesters -- No kids and would like to avoid neighborhoods with a heavy concentration of them. We enjoy peace and quiet and not having to maneuver through a basketball-hoop obstacle course everytime we drive down the street.
  • Jobs/employment are not a concern, neither is commute.
  • She's a foodie (love to eat and cook good food so good restaurants and access to gourmet/ethnic groceries are a plus) and would like to garden.
  • He's a car nut (sports cars like BMW and Porsche) and audiophile (stereo and listen to music of all kinds).
  • Have dog, like to stay fit, walk, bike, go for drives, and check things out in our area.
  • We are grounded, down-to-earth, but also somewhat status conscious & upscale (former Yuppies/DINKS).
  • Looking for single family detached house - maybe in the $400-$500-$600 range?
  • City/suburban but not rural.
  • Open to both older, mature neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and new developments (though newer usually attracts lots of families with kids).
  • Looking for city/neighborhood that has a good vibe, culture, good eats. Someplace that is upscale but not too stuffy. A place where we can be locals/regulars and hang out...A place where there's a sense of community or a real neighborhood feel.
Where should we be looking?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,686,122 times
In a word, Cary.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 AM

920 posts, read 2,815,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
In a word, Cary.
Cary? Are you joking? It's a mecca for the SUV, soccer mom, McMansion crowd.

I think you'd like some of the older neighborhoods inside the Beltline.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 AM

261 posts, read 1,217,997 times
Default Devintage in Cary

Check out Devintage neighborhood, located off of Ten-Ten Rd, in southern Cary. This neighborhood is geared toward the empty nester crowd. The homes are mostly brick, mostly one level or story and a half with a first floor owners suite. The homes are beautifully appointed, and well built.

My husband and I are in our late 40's and like city living. If I didn't love to garden in our small yard, and we didn't have a dog, we would probably buy a condo in one of the new condo buildings springing up in downtown Raleigh. However, if you only have $400-$600k to spend, it can be tough to find a single family home inside the belt line Raleigh that has been updated and is in one of the better neighborhoods. We searched for several months, and finally decided just to go with new construction in Cary. Our small neighborhood has lots of first floor owner suite homes, so about 1/3 of the 44 homes are people in our age range, and/or childless-by-choice 30 something professionals. We live in Cary, but have a Raleigh address. The neighborhood is only 2.5 miles from old downtown Cary, 3 miles from the RBC center, and the fairgrounds, and about 5 miles from downtown Raleigh. This puts us with in minutes of "things to do"!

My husband has two boys, 11 and 15, who are with us every other week. Therefore we needed a neighborhood that had at least a few kids. DeVintage likely is almost all adults, though it is not restricted to only adults.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,667,826 times
Yes, Devintage in Cary does have some nice homes. I also think Harrington Point in Raleigh might also work, might not fit your status though, but maybe worth a look. There are several in N. Raleigh/Wake Forest you might want to look into as well. There are areas in Wakefield that might work (depending on what section you go to), then there is Heritage of Wake Forest (many like that also, but again there are areas with lots of children and areas that are not) and you might also try Traemoor, but that is getting pretty high $$ as I think the TH are around 500K for around 3,000 sq.ft - they have small yards in these TH and single family homes are around 700K. I think once you look at the amenities of the newer homes, you won't be satisfied with an older home. You'll have a lot to choose from, just depends on what side of town you like best.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,042,354 times
What about durham? Great food, lots of diverse neighborhoods (as far as you can go newer, or stay in older tree lined neighborhoods), close enough to raleigh for now that you can go downtown for food and shows, close enough to chapel hill as well. The american tobacco trail has some great places to get out and exercise.

The chapel hill/durham area definitely has a higher number of empty nesters, in my opinion. Durham, I think, offers more diversity in housing than chapel hill.

Leigh

Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,065,092 times
Leigh, I was thinking Durham, too ... specifically the neighborhoods near downtown (Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, Old West Durham, Forest Hills, etc.). Lots of great homes in a more urban setting, but with yards and big trees, too. This area is also convenient to some really great restaurants, the ballpark for the Durham Bulls, Brightleaf Square, the new performing arts center that will be opening next year, and on and on.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are another good option, although I think the homes closest to downtown there may be out of your price range. There are also plenty of college students milling around their downtowns which some people see as a plus but others don't.

You should come down for a visit and check out the areas yourself to see which works best for you. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 PM

770 posts, read 2,755,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
We are thinking about relocating to the Triangle Area and need your input as to where we might best fit...
  • She's 45 and he's 60.
  • Empty nesters -- No kids and would like to avoid neighborhoods with a heavy concentration of them. We enjoy peace and quiet and not having to maneuver through a basketball-hoop obstacle course everytime we drive down the street.
  • Jobs/employment are not a concern, neither is commute.
  • She's a foodie (love to eat and cook good food so good restaurants and access to gourmet/ethnic groceries are a plus) and would like to garden.
  • He's a car nut (sports cars like BMW and Porsche) and audiophile (stereo and listen to music of all kinds).
  • Have dog, like to stay fit, walk, bike, go for drives, and check things out in our area.
  • We are grounded, down-to-earth, but also somewhat status conscious & upscale (former Yuppies/DINKS).
  • Looking for single family detached house - maybe in the $400-$500-$600 range?
  • City/suburban but not rural.
  • Open to both older, mature neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and new developments (though newer usually attracts lots of families with kids).
  • Looking for city/neighborhood that has a good vibe, culture, good eats. Someplace that is upscale but not too stuffy. A place where we can be locals/regulars and hang out...A place where there's a sense of community or a real neighborhood feel.
Where should we be looking?

Thanks.
Take a Look at Enchanted Oaks , where I live
Picasa Web Albums - Stephen - Enchanted Oak...
The houses are in your price range
You are 12 mins from downtown but feel you live in the country. You have immediate access to lake Wheeler park. It is upscale but not at all stuffy . The only downside is no sidewalks but that does stop children playing also. Moderator cut: removed Personally I wouldn't think Cary would be a good fit for you

Last edited by autumngal; 03-21-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: use dm please

Old 03-21-2008, 07:51 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,388,295 times
Steve,
Enchanted Oaks looks beautiful. I would love to live there.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,913,682 times
My first choice would be Durham for all of the reasons mentioned by Mrs. Steele and Leigh. I'd opt for Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale or Duke Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary