Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times

Advertisements

I seriously need to do some landscaping...

I'm looking to plant some bushes along side my house, plant some flowers, make my yard look pretty, etc.

But, I don't want to put alot of money into it because I don't have a green thumb.

I know there is somewhere in the Triangle that has decent priced bushes/flowers for a reasonable price. Heck, if Walmart is that place, please tell me. I heard there was a website where you can get a free bush? Arbor something? Anyone heard of this?

Merci!
~Heather~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 12:08 PM

225 posts, read 954,069 times
Try a Farmers Market. Usually excellent quality items & you can talk to the growers on how to best plant items--especially if you don't have a green thumb. Sometimes vendors will make deals. I know up north the if you go before the FM close, many times vendors will mark things way down so they do not have to transport them home.

Sorry, I hate Walmart for plants, I think the quality it very poor (up north at least--haven't bought from a Walmart here)---I haven't had a whole lot of luck growing things from Walmart.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,326 times
I think I remember that you live in Clayton... There is a nursery out there (you'll have to look up the address, sorry) called Broadwell's. Their prices are great.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:21 PM

214 posts, read 701,892 times
I second the Farmer's Market suggestion. I have been going there for the past few weeks and am amazed at how great and reasonably priced the plants are. I haven't been buying because I bought all my stuff earlier and I am tired of digging clay soil at the moment.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,239 times
Wal Mart, Lowes and Home Depot have decent looking plants usually. We've even bought stuff from KMart before. (we are pretty experienced in landscaping, however). But if the plants look healthy (not buggy, wilty, damaged or yellowed), then you can give them a try.

The Family Garden Center in Clayton has some nice plants, but I'm not sure where they fall price-wise. Shop around and look at prices, look in other people's yards so you see what grows well there.

I've also heard good things about Logan's Greenhouse in downtown Raleigh. I've also been to Red Barn Landscaping in Clayton on Route 70 going toward Smithfield (just past the intersection with 42 East).

I don't know if you have any deer in your yard, but keep in mind that deer LOVE hostas and euonymous. They'll also eat the blooms off of daylillies. You'd do better with a picky evergreen if you have deer like I did in Clayton. Tying travel sized bars of soap to our new plantings kept them away and we also used Liquid Fence.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:02 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Try Craigslist. I sold a bunch of azaleas right out of my yard last year for $5.00 if they came and dug them out! Sometimes you can barter with people on there if you have a product or service to trade and they are thinning/dividing perennials. I'm over grown with liriope and will be selling large clumps of it this fall on Craigslist.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 PM

282 posts, read 835,320 times
Default Try the Raleigh Farmer's market

The farmer's market in South Raleigh is truly amazing. If you're looking for plants or vegetables, that's the place to go.

NC Marketing Facilities - RALEIGH STATE FARMERS MARKET

Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 PM

129 posts, read 566,086 times
BROADWELLS for price and selection! It is a wholesale nursery and located in Angier. You can find everything and anything you are looking for regarding bushes. If you can't find it, just across the street a family member has opened up a nursery just as large. They welcome you to shop at both. It will take a full day because you will get so confused as to what you really want. Take a truck or trailor and plan on driving thru it because you can't possibly carry it. The prices have not gone up 1 dime in the last 11 yrs I have gone there.

I have never shopped for flowers there, but they do have them or the nursery next door has plenty as well.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:01 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I seriously need to do some landscaping...

I'm looking to plant some bushes along side my house, plant some flowers, make my yard look pretty, etc.

But, I don't want to put alot of money into it because I don't have a green thumb.

I know there is somewhere in the Triangle that has decent priced bushes/flowers for a reasonable price. Heck, if Walmart is that place, please tell me. I heard there was a website where you can get a free bush? Arbor something? Anyone heard of this?Merci!
~Heather~
Found this site while researching trees. Don't know if this is what you mean, but here it is anyway.

Trees - The National Arbor Day Foundation

Good luck with your plantings!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:05 PM

709 posts, read 934,960 times
Better plant cactus! We are really in a terrible drought that is going to get very bad. Even this rain tonight will be a long memory when we hit 100 by next weekend. Yes the weather pattern is for real bad heat!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary