Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:11 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

Drought and heat are a good point. Many people around here don't plant landscaping plants such as trees and bushes until the fall at this point in the year. Newly transplanted woody plants like shrubs need a tremendous amount of water in the NC heat. I've got a bunch more azaleas I need to move but they will stay where they are until it cools again in late September.
Your best bet right now is throw a few annuals in the ground and wait till fall to do major landscaping work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,278 times
if you want to save money on landscaping, go to Broadwell's on Hwy 210 between Angier and I40. Turn south on Old Stage road (at the blinking yellow light, at the Harnett/Johnston county line) and you can't miss it on the left. It's where the landscapers buy their plants - they have nearly everything. Pine trees, crape myrtles, liriope, Japanese maples, all types of shrubs, ornamental grasses, evergreens. You'll need a truck, a big one, or a trailer. Get there early because the line to get out can get long. And take cash or a personal check, they don't take credit cards.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:03 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
BROADWELLS for price and selection! It is a wholesale nursery and located in Angier. You can find everything and anything you are looking for regarding bushes. If you can't find it, just across the street a family member has opened up a nursery just as large. They welcome you to shop at both. It will take a full day because you will get so confused as to what you really want. Take a truck or trailor and plan on driving thru it because you can't possibly carry it. The prices have not gone up 1 dime in the last 11 yrs I have gone there.

I have never shopped for flowers there, but they do have them or the nursery next door has plenty as well.
The nursery that is just before Broadwells and on the same side of the street is TarHeel Nursery. They have great hanging baskets for less then $10.
I also drove through Broadwells for the first time a few weeks ago, was very impressed with their prices and selections. Got a few mini/dwarf gardenias for $3/ea, and at the Farmers Market, same type are going for $8 and up.

There is a daylily farm in Garner that is open now through the end of June, weekends only (Sat. & Sun.). Its Lakeview Daylily Farm and is on hwy 50. They have some great prices and alot are inexpensivly priced for anyone who needs to fill in a few bare spots in the landscape. I've always gotten good sized clumps there, I like to look for "re-bloomers" to get the most bloom for my buck.

Welcome to Lakeview Daylily Farms, Garner, North Carolina

Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
You guys are awesome!
Thank you soooooo much!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,020 times
Thanks for mentioning Lakeview Daylily Farm in Garner! We are now open on Fridays as well as Saturdays and Sundays in June and July. We will also make for appointments on other days. Fridays are naturally less hurried than Saturdays, and Sunday mornings are also less busy. Many folks choose to commune with nature at the garden.

This year we're offering Knockout roses in addition to the cold hardy banana trees that we've sold for years.

Remember, a daylily garden is different every day!

Molly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary