Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM

450 posts, read 1,554,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Although the Padgett's dont make money, the musicians do, so it is a business operation. That makes it different than a boy scout meeting or bible study. If it is a business operation, it should be in a place zoned for business, or meet the "only 3 per year" restriction. They didn't. I imagine those people having political fundraisers, or Tupperwere parties don't have more than 3 a year. Those things more around. So none of your comparisions are valid. It would be like your next door neighbor having a HUGE tupperwere party at their house 9 times a year....which if they did I am sure you would have a problem with. I live near the Padgett's and there are TONS of cars and people on a busy street.
What if you have 9 children and celebrate 9 different birthday parties a year? Would you allow the government to tell you that you can only celebrate 3 birthdays for your kids? I mean, if you're hiring a DJ, a band, or a clown (who are presumably getting paid) and people bring gifts (which have a monetary value), then this situation is almost identical to what the government is currently telling the couple that they cannot do now because of zoning.

I guess they can consider creating a non-profit organization and make these part of that organization. Or, they can have the attendants just donate to the musicians if they so desire, without them ever touching a penny, therefore it isn't a business.

Or, they can just go viral and have these clowns voted out of office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
I can understand the city's desire to regulate this sort of thing 'as a business'. However when it comes to the 3-gathering limit, I don't see the net benefit of restricting this type of cultural entertainment in a city.

I can imagine that this type of ordinance would be supported by someone like my great grandmother. Better make sure those heathens aren't having too much fun.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
What if you have 9 children and celebrate 9 different birthday parties a year? Would you allow the government to tell you that you can only celebrate 3 birthdays for your kids? I mean, if you're hiring a DJ, a band, or a clown (who are presumably getting paid) and people bring gifts (which have a monetary value), then this situation is almost identical to what the government is currently telling the couple that they cannot do now because of zoning.
Really?? That's where you think this is headed? We're on the cusp of having the government take away our right to have children's birthday parties? Well get out the guns and lets stand up for our rights!!

Good lord, I love how silly political arguments get at times. This approach has seemed to have become all too common lately - letting the government (ahem, us) make rules and draw lines about what activities are impermissible creates an unreasonable risk to our civil liberties that all activities will be deemed impermissible. Therefore, we shouldn't draw any lines, and we shouldn't deem any activities impermissible. Every man, woman and clown for himself!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,666 times
Making comparisons to birthday parties is silly. This is a moneymaking operation for the musician. They would not be there is not for the money. The best comparision is the tupperware party. The person coming in to sell the tupperware is getting the money (like the musician) and the host is getting, not money, but tupperware. In the Padgett's case, they are getting what the musician's makes, which is entertainment/music. Such an operation, for the selling of music or tupperware, is a business. Thus, it comes under the zoning laws. Arguably, a politician's fundraiser is similar, but I have never seen a home do more than 3 a year, so that is not a good comparison either.

Taking your comparables to silly limits does nothing for your argument, I don't think.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM

450 posts, read 1,554,219 times
I can't believe you can't see the similarity.

Ok, suppose these parties were actually celebratory in nature (be it a celebration of Jazz, the Summer Solstice, or someone's birthday). Now, the host asks some musicians to come to their house and play for free, with no promise of payment. The hosts do not ask for money from the guests but they do bring gifts that are then given to the musicians (either in cash or other forms).

How in the world is that a business?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Who is saying it is?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,937 times
People who read my posts know how I feel about these topics. More big government control and oppression. The government is involved in every single aspect of our lives and in intrudes well into our individualism and rights as American citizens. I can't stand stories like this, it often makes me wonder what country I really live in. Nobody complained?

The other day I read about police officers setting up fake facebook accounts to arrest underage drinkers. They were citing these college kids for posting photos of themselves on face book holding bottles of beer. Didn't matter that they may have just been posing for a "cool photo" and never actually drank the alcohol, oh no. The fact they had a photo of themselves and a beer bottle was enough to make a charge! People condoning and supporting this type of enforcement and the story posted here about the musicians are clueless in my opinion.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM

So you are opposed to things like zoning laws?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
So you are opposed to things like zoning laws?
Not at all. This is NOT a zoning issue and you know it. This is some city official that got a bug in their rear and wants to flex their muscle. Just like the guy with "screwed by the twon of Cary" sign. Same thing. Goverment going beyond their intended and realized authority and opressing a common citizen doing no harm to anyone.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
This is NOT a zoning issue and you know it.
From the WRAL article originally cited in this thread:

Quote:
A city board has upheld the findings of zoning inspectors that a Raleigh woman was illegally operating a business out of her house by holding several concerts there each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary