Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times

Advertisements

Per Mrs. Steel's suggestion, I thought I'd start this.

After seeing The Police this past weekend and realizing that Raleigh wasn't on their tour itinerary (nor was Charlotte), I started wondering, who *does* come to the Triangle area? I've always lived in cities that were on everyone's tour itinerary (Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Phoenix, etc.) or at least close by. But the closest place they are playing to Raleigh is Tampa!

So those of you who are from there or have lived there for a while can you tell me? Who comes through the Triangle on tour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,406 times
Lightbulb Here is some from ticketmaster

For Raleigh area:

Official Ticketmaster site. Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more

For Charlotte area:

Official Ticketmaster site. Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more

I know it isn't as hot a market as LA, Boston, NYC, Seattle, or the like, but it isn't totally awful. I didn't look at places like Virgina Beach, or such, it is a 4 hour drive there, but for a good concert, people in this area of CA will drive to Riverside, or San Diego, so it is doable.

The other thing is that if there is a partucular band you really like, email their website. With all the transplants moving to the Raleigh area they might start scheduling concerts closer or in town. Worth a shot anyway.

Good luck, enjoy.

Char

ps: here is another site I spotted for concerts, plays, etc.
Onstage in NC - Listing Performing Arts of North Carolina

It list Aretha Franklin, Elvis Costello, Big Bad Voo-Doo Daddy, KD Lang, of course this covers ALL of NC. I am kinda of suprised that with the big universities there (that usually seems to be hot spots) that there are not more concerts in the area. Guess the more requests bands get the more concerts might come to town.

Last edited by JustChar; 07-31-2007 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 AM

When I lived in Portland OR, we'd go to Seattle easily. It's a 3 hour drive but for a great concert, it's worth it. But I'm considerably older now and we have kids, so we just can't pick up and drive 3 hours to go see a concert.

Seeing Aerosmith in September.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Hmmmm...just checked the tickemaster site. Ewwww... not too much in the area! Maybe it's just the next 60 days--that's the timespan I picked.

We just took our younger son to see Blue Man Group. Somehow I don't think they perform in the Triangle either.

Oh well, I'm not complaining. All the other positives will outweigh this small negative.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,219 times
We've had a lot of bands come through over the years. The really, really big acts would sometimes play Carter Finley, but it has been awhile since I've been to a show there (probably Buffett on July 4th, 1998). Prior to that, though, we got the Stones (twice), The Who, The Grateful Dead, Paul McCartney, and Pink Floyd (twice) at the Carter in the early 90s or so. (Going way back, there was a legendary show with Van Halen and Boston).

When the Dean Dome first opened, it was a really hot spot for concerts, but I never hear of stuff there anymore. The RBC has had lots of big name shows of late from the Chili Peppers to Beyonce to local boy Clay Aiken (my daughter's former camp counselor at the YMCA turned American Idol superstar). Green Day and Prince have performed at the RBC in the past.

The whole "summer shed" industry has really changed and isn't as big as it once was. But we still remain a popular stop. I saw Rush a month ago and had a blast. Dave Matthews is coming up in the Fall. Widespread Panic plays a stand every April since the place opened.

Koka Booth in Cary has become more popular the last 5 years or so.

The clubs get some great bands. The White Stripes, Interpol, and that sort all have played in the last couple of years. Lincoln Theater and the Cat's Cradle being the two biggest that have a regular schedule. And Disco Rodeo (formerly the Ritz) gets good midsize acts.

And Raleigh has lots of free concerts - the Bud series downtown, etc. While the headliners have been pretty washed up this year, the openers have been very good and the crowds are less early in the day.

Lots of small clubs, too. I especially like The Pour House.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,128 times
For a complete listing of ALL venues that have any sort of artist on stage, go to Pollstar -- The Concert Hotwire

It shows performances up to one year.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,582 times
If that's really big on your list you might be seriously disappointed. I haven't seen any concert in the past year that I'd like to see. There was one exception (can't remember who) but the minimum ticket price (bad seat) was like $75 + taxes so I passed.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 PM

Thanks everyone. And for my oldest son (the one who would have the most trouble with this move), I wonder if Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, etc., play Raleigh?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
We just took our younger son to see Blue Man Group. Somehow I don't think they perform in the Triangle either.
Actually, the Blue Man Group had some performances here just a couple of months ago. So ya never know!

We've had some fairly big names come through recently (Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Harry Connick Jr., John Mayer), but I'd be lying if I said this was a popular stop for major tours.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
I agree with the previous posters in that the Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh and the Koka Booth Amphitheatre in Cary capture a lot of the mid sized acts that do the outdoor Amphitheatre tour throughout the country. As previously mentioned, these are the places where you can catch shows by the likes of Dave Matthews, Cold Play, John Mayer, Gwen Stefani, Harry Connick Jr., James Taylor ect ...... The smaller clubs and venues in places like downtown Raleigh and the Cat's Cradle offer a great opportunity to see great local and regional acts in a smaller setting. Every once in a while a HUGE major act will come through and put on a show at the RBC center or at Wallace Stadium in Duke. Billy Joel performed at the RBC Center in Raleigh back in March 2007 and The Rolling Stone's 2005 concert tour made a stop at Wallace Stadium on the Duke Campus in Durham.

While there aren't a plethora of "Giant Stadium" type concert stops here in the area, I don't really find the area to be lacking at all. Quite frankly, with the constant increase in ticket prices across the country, I find myself attending free concerts more and more and have become very selective in choosing what major acts I am willing to plunk down my hard earned dollars for.

I plan on stopping by the North Hills Mall in N. Raleigh this Thrusday evening to catch some free jazz music on the outdoor sqaure from 5-9pm. I may even go to see John Mayer tonight at Walnut Creek if there are still lawn tickets left, but I am having trouble parting with the cash, but may cave to my wife's desire to go anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary