Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I think we have already established that plenty of big name acts do come through the area despite what this poster implies...

As for lowering ones standards....coming FROM Cleveland....well there is a joke in there somewhere but it would just be too easy
Sure...every so often someone comes through...but it many other areas there are major shows every month at least.

What big name acts have been round in the last year? Clapton was the last show we've seen worth going to. Nothing rock or alternative otherwise...while Blue Man Group is nice and has it's niche...it's not what I am talking about or want to go see myself.

Some one mentioned Buffett? Even he hasn't played here in years....last show in NC was 2006 in Charlotte...he didn't even make the state this tour.

Cleveland has a lively music scene...always has...no matter what other issues the city has. I would suggust that maybe you learn about other areas before you dismiss it as a matter of course. Why do you think they put the Rock Hall there? It's got a great view....but I doubt that is the only reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Sure...every so often someone comes through...but it many other areas there are major shows every month at least.
I actually appreciate the fact that "big name" acts don't play the Triangle. I've been to a few Buffett shows and I own some Eric Clapton albums but they both scream "I HAVEN'T LISTENED TO NEW MUSIC SINCE 1976."

In my opinion a huge show is Sufjan Stevens or Ben Folds at Memorial Hall. Check out Cats Cradle's current schedule, it includes: Interpol (at Disco Rodeo), Ted Leo, the Meat Puppets, Okkervil River, The National, Midlake, Nada Surf, and Tegan and Sara.

Heck, Smashing Pumpkins chose Asheville for a 9 day stand in support of their reunion tour....their first in 10 years. Now that's saying something about the state of music in NC. What NC really needs to put is on the indie map is an music festival like Bonnaroo, Pitchfork, Austin City Limits Festival, or Coachella.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:24 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
This thread has me laughing a little bit ... 'cause I like a good Clapton show but I'm 40something. Nonetheless I do know that Beyonce just played RBC and I'm pretty sure she's still a big name artist, and Kenny Chesney just played Alltel or Walnut Creek or whatever it is now and I don't listen to him but he's number 10 on the "Top 10 Acts" on GoTickets.com.

And I did go see Blue Man, and it was excellent.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
This thread has me laughing a little bit ... 'cause I like a good Clapton show but I'm 40something. Nonetheless I do know that Beyonce just played RBC and I'm pretty sure she's still a big name artist, and Kenny Chesney just played Alltel or Walnut Creek or whatever it is now and I don't listen to him but he's number 10 on the "Top 10 Acts" on GoTickets.com.

And I did go see Blue Man, and it was excellent.
I have been pretty specific in the areas I think that this area is lacking in. I said that country music fans were pretty well set. You couldn't pay me to go see Chest-ney...but hey, others like him so it's great that he comes here for them.

Beyonce is R&B...great if you like it...but again...not what I am into.

Heck, I've seen Clapton enough times now...but at least it was a concert I didn't have to travel hours to get to.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
What Rock/Alternative acts have skipped Raleigh recently other than a huge mega-tour like The Police?

About the only band I don't remember ever playing here that I actually give a crap about seeing is Radiohead.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Thanks everyone. I feel better about the music scene. My original post probably made it sound like we attend tons of concerts but we really don't (too expensive!). However, when one of our favorites comes through (U2, Clapton, Police, Aerosmith, etc.), we usually try to buck up the $$ and go, especially now that hubby is finally working again and we have some disposable income for entertainment. My son does like the alternative and youth rock scene (Less than Jake, Reel Big Fish, etc.) but he's only 16 so he has to go chaperoned or not at all!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
About the only band I don't remember ever playing here that I actually give a crap about seeing is Radiohead.
Radiohead played the Cat's Cradle on their Bends tour (1996ish?)

BEST...SHOW...EVER...!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
1996? Well that explains why I don't remember it. That was the one year of the last 20 that I spent most of the year out of the area (living in Boston on assignment for Big Blue - not that I can complain too much. I had a blast and saw some great shows from The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, Kiss, Rush, Cheap Trick, to lots of smaller club shows).

Old 08-01-2007, 08:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
It's really no surprise that the Police skipped Raleigh and Charlotte. There isn't a venue large enough to sell enough very expensive tickets to pay the freight. If you look at their itinerary we are certainly not the only mid-sized metro they skipped, and many of the shows are in redundant locations (Giants Stadium and Madison Square Garden basically draw the same people for example).
That said, there is plenty of live music at all levels to be seen in the area. I regularly drive from Cary to Verizon in Charlotte for shows, and it's no different to me than when I lived in CT and tried to get to, say, Jones Beach, except I don't sit in traffic and pay $20 in tolls along the way. Alltel draws a good mix of shows and it's a 20 minute drive for me. Koka Booth Amphitheater is another good venue that is attracting more shows every season, and between the Lincoln Theatre and the Cat's Cradle I have seen a wide variety of national rock and jazz artists.
I lived within an hour of NYC most of my life and while nothing compares to that for variety of venues and acts, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with how many shows I've gotten to in the last few years.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
It's really no surprise that the Police skipped Raleigh and Charlotte. There isn't a venue large enough to sell enough very expensive tickets to pay the freight. If you look at their itinerary we are certainly not the only mid-sized metro they skipped, and many of the shows are in redundant locations (Giants Stadium and Madison Square Garden basically draw the same people for example).
That said, there is plenty of live music at all levels to be seen in the area. I regularly drive from Cary to Verizon in Charlotte for shows, and it's no different to me than when I lived in CT and tried to get to, say, Jones Beach, except I don't sit in traffic and pay $20 in tolls along the way. Alltel draws a good mix of shows and it's a 20 minute drive for me. Koka Booth Amphitheater is another good venue that is attracting more shows every season, and between the Lincoln Theatre and the Cat's Cradle I have seen a wide variety of national rock and jazz artists.
I lived within an hour of NYC most of my life and while nothing compares to that for variety of venues and acts, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with how many shows I've gotten to in the last few years.
If they'd played the Garden I'd agree with you. But they played Fenway. When you subtract out the number of seats lost behind the stage in the outfield that's what.....maybe about 35,000? Surely Raleigh has a venue that large? Even the Rose Garden in Portland OR seats 40,000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary