Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM

20 posts, read 72,756 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me what kind of outdoor events happen in the Raleigh area? Anything in the smaller areas like Fuquay-Varina, Clayton, Wendell, Garner?
Specifically, is there ever outdoor music?

For instance where I'm from in NOVa, a couple of the towns (Herndon and Reston) hold outdoor concerts consisting of local bands every Thursday or Friday from May-Aug. They sell food and beer, but the music is free. It is really fun for the adults and the kids. They also have one Fair/festival with crafts, music, and carnival rides during the summer.

Is there anything like this there? I'm most interested in knowing if there is any weekly type event like this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
There are outdoor concerts in Raleigh often. They used to do "Alive After Five" in downtown every Thursday. Not sure if that's still going on.

Artsplosure is a big arts festival in downtown Raleigh every May...2-3 days.

St. Patricks' Day parade in downtown Raleigh, followed by outdoor dancing/music/food/drinks in Moore Square.

Downtown Durham hosts Centerfest arts festival for a weekend in September.

Chapel Hill hosts Festifall in October, I think.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
Does Raleigh have outdoor music?
Well, Raleigh was voted one of the BEST places to listen to live music.
So, yeah.

Walk around anywhere in downtown Raleigh and around every corner, you will hear some live music. Alot of places have outdoor patios so you can sit outside, listen to some tunes and watch passerbys.

Also, in Cary at Regency Park, KOKO Booth amphitheater is also a good place:
http://www.boothamphitheatre.com/

NC Musuem of Art:
www.ncartmuseum.org

Alltel Pavilion hosts the big name bands on occasion:
www.alltelpavilion.com

You can also do a search under pollstar.com to see who's coming. Lots of venues are listed as well.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:49 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittylane View Post
Can you tell me what kind of outdoor events happen in the Raleigh area? Anything in the smaller areas like Fuquay-Varina, Clayton, Wendell, Garner?
Specifically, is there ever outdoor music?

For instance where I'm from in NOVa, a couple of the towns (Herndon and Reston) hold outdoor concerts consisting of local bands every Thursday or Friday from May-Aug. They sell food and beer, but the music is free. It is really fun for the adults and the kids. They also have one Fair/festival with crafts, music, and carnival rides during the summer.

Is there anything like this there? I'm most interested in knowing if there is any weekly type event like this.

Thanks!
You can find things like this in Raleigh, but don't expect many well known acts to come through unless you are into country. As for fairs, well the state fair is held every year in the fall. I think that counts.

You aren't going to find much in the smaller towns but there may be some here and there, just keep your eyes open and on the local papers.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
In wake forest, they have the six sundays in spring (the first six sundays in spring) in the historic district and they have different bands for each sunday (from bluegrass to rock and roll) people bring chairs, food, beer, etc. They sell some food, but no beer.

The lincoln theater, in downtown raleigh, has local bands and bigger bands and is a live music venue (as is the cats cradle in chapel hill).

There are not tons of outdoor music festivals that I know about though.

Leigh

Old 03-09-2007, 02:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
You should also check out the Bud Light Downtown Live Concert Series in Raleigh's Moore Square Park.

They are free concerts held outside in the park in downtown raleigh with beer and wine available. It runs almost all day noon to 11:00pm. Lots of local bands as openign acts with a more well known national act in the evening. Here are the dates for 2007. Don't know who is playing yet though.

June 2, 16, 30 ~ July 14, 28 ~ August 11, 25

Check out the website: http://www.raleighdowntownlive.com/index.html

Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 26,733 times
Hi Kittylane. Try this (check out "events" and "venues"): www.raleighmusic.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary