Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

Oh, and Saluki, if you like Greek food, Taverna Agora right by your hotel is FABULOUS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 PM

55 posts, read 211,117 times
Default old school bars

Crowley's(medlin drive) is a Raleigh institution. PR, Office Tavern, Mitch's Tavern, Sadlack's(Hillsborough St) has been there 35 years or so and is a real dive, Foster's Saloon(Five Points), The Rockford (Glenwood South's original hangout). Northside Billiards(corner of Wake Forest and Whitaker Mill) is a classic pool hall/dive that has been around for at least 40 years. Hope that helps.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Half of the servers at the Rockford hang out at or work at The Jackpot. If you like the crowd at the Rockford, you'll probably like The Jackpot.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Is the Dive Bar still open?
I could never tell when it WAS open...

Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM

The Dive bar is still there. It used to be Mary Lou's way back when and really WAS a scary dive bar with bars on the windows. The name, Dive bar, is supposedly a tribute Mary Lous.
I know way too much abouit local Raleigh bars. I need a hobby :-)

CHeck out the thread called "Raleigh Classics". A few of those places are still around, like Mitch's Tavern.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 AM

27 posts, read 129,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I used to live in the neighborhood behind O' Malleys (Oak Park). I was nice because O'Malley's was there as well as Casa Carbone and The Peddler Steakhouse.

O'Malley's is a decent place, just sort of out of the way of everything else in Raleigh. There used to be a place called Gino Russo's right across the street (across Glenwood Ave) from O'Malley's that we used to frequent. It was a pretty happening place on the weekends with live music and an oyster bar. The guy who owned also owns the oyster bar in Cary (and I can't remember the name of it now).
I don't know if it's still there or not, but that used to be a pretty fun place.
Gino Russo's has closed.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostrom View Post
Gino Russo's has closed.
Didn't they make the news with repeated violence occurences?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 PM

Not really. It was a more professional clientele. They DID make the news a few times because of some issue with hiring off duty police officers. I can't rememeber exactly what the controvery was, but it had to do with them hiring RPD to work security.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:41 AM

43 posts, read 221,147 times
Gino's indeed had problems with fights, drugs and guns in the parking lot shortly before they closed - particularly on Wed. DJ night. There were several stories in the News & Observer about it. Most bars hire off-duty cops - nothing new there. The place has re-opened as Hudson's Oyster Bar, but still has some issues. A 54-year-old woman was arrested there last week after allegedly beating up another woman with a pair of brass knuckles. Not the classiest clientel in town.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreg View Post
Gino's indeed had problems with fights, drugs and guns in the parking lot shortly before they closed - particularly on Wed. DJ night. There were several stories in the News & Observer about it. Most bars hire off-duty cops - nothing new there. The place has re-opened as Hudson's Oyster Bar, but still has some issues. A 54-year-old woman was arrested there last week after allegedly beating up another woman with a pair of brass knuckles. Not the classiest clientel in town.
Thanks, jgreg.
I thought I recalled correctly. I liked the couple of lunches I had there, but after the articles, I quit going in. Even though no one threatened me with brass knuckles over my grilled shrimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary