Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,066,046 times

Advertisements

The person who posted these pics is from Hawai'i. Not a lot of deer to be seen there! Whereas in NC, we have plenty of deer. They're more prevalent in more rural neighborhoods, of course, but they're here.

And you're quite right about the lack of snow. I was actually surprised by how many homes I saw (usually older construction) with just a one car garage or even no garage at all. I was told that this is partly because there is so little snow or frost here, so there isn't as much need to keep your cars protected. Amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,676,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post
love these photos.

deer crossing. made you chuckle? does that mean deer are not common in NC? I'm originally from Pennsylvania where they are a serious road hazard at times!

All these photos have garages that you have to turn to get into. To those of you from NC, I'm sure you think nothing of that. But my first reaction at the photo was pretty but dangerous. then I remembered, snow and ice are not a threat to Nc. Here in NY state, I'm soo happy that I can drive straight in and out of my garage (my neighbor turns out of hers and has hit our tree many times while sliding on ice when turning while backing out of her garage - I won't comment further on her driving lol)

I love the look of these houses. I'd love to have one of those beautiful porches. covered porches are a rarity, where I am now.

Believe me...deer are around.....both alive and dead.

One thing that did surprise me when we moved down here is how roadkill deer are allowed to just decay by the side of the road for the most part.

In Ohio, is someone hit a deer, the state patrol had a list of those they could call to come get the deer if not completely...unusable for meat. In other areas, they were taking to butchers who volunteered to process for soup kitchens.

So much venison here goes to waste.

Also, ice is a problem here. Not all the time, but ice is more likely to be a problem then snow. I thought I knew how to handle winter driving...but an NC ice storm is something to behold. Thankfully they don't happen each year...but when one does....you'll understand. (My husband was smarter then I was, he listened to co-workers that were local who told him to get a flat driveway. More then a few times I've been very happy he held his guns until we found the right house with a flat driveway.)

Old 06-06-2007, 03:51 AM

133 posts, read 711,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post
love these photos.

deer crossing. made you chuckle? does that mean deer are not common in NC? I'm originally from Pennsylvania where they are a serious road hazard at times!...
Not too many deer crossing signs in my part of the world. Although in some parts of the islands, we do get wild pigs that come down from the mountains and run through the neighborhood. They catch and cook those for the luau.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 AM

237 posts, read 915,643 times
Default Nice houses

I just wish durham did not have the worse ranked schools in wake county and the highest crime ratings ,,, I know ,,, I know they are just reports and you can't base your entire decision just from reports. Still hard for someone not very familiar with the area to overlook. When cary has very low crime and the school scores blow Durham High away most of us my freinds are going with the safe bet good luck with your house in durham,don't forget the alarm system.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,066,046 times
Bull, I know you've heard it from others on these boards, but it really is true that Durham is much much more than what a quick glance at statistics will lead you to believe. Maybe after you move to the area you'll find reasons to visit Durham & see that it truly is a lovely place afterall.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:49 AM

185 posts, read 992,883 times
where i live currently dead deer are picked up so they don't attract animals and stuff. but they are composted. if they are not picked up very quickly (basically by the person that hit them and taken to butcher) they can be unsafe to eat the roadkill.

alot of states leave them to decompose on the side of the road for weeks or more. Pennsylvania does that. going to a rural state college in PA, the seniors took the freshman from NYC and Phili on the local highways and let them see the country side. somehow they always came back from their little trips talking about the variety of animal life that they saw as roadkill. Not something a "city kid" sees typically and not something the locals even think about. yeah, I went to a college that really needed some entertainment other than cow tipping.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,869 times
Default What?

My confusion about Bull's comment is that Durham isn't in Wake county; it's in Durham county. Also, I am a nanny in this neighborhood. Very few kids who live here go to public school, anyway. The majority of the neighbors have children and have nannies. We have a little nanny group, and I don't think a single kid in the group even goes to public school, so I guess it's just not an issue for them. It is a wonderful neighborhood, and Durham is awesome for raising a family! There is so much to do here because of all the nearby universities. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary