Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times

Advertisements

I decided to get outside and enjoy the cooler weather this morning by heading out to the Cole mill section of Eno River State Park. I hike or run in Eno SP a couple times per week, but this was my first time on the Cole Mill and Bobbitt Trails. This area is home to one of the Eno River's premier swimming holes, Bobbitt Hole, as well as some backcountry campsites that I wanted to check out. While I could have hiked there directly from my house in about 4 miles, I decided to take the lazy route and drive to the Cole Mill trailhead. The Eno is a great place for hiking, fishing, swimming, etc...I consider myself very fortunate to have such fabulous hiking and river access so close to my home!

Eno River from the Cole Mill Trail

Eagle Scout Bridge - I know him, but had no idea he built this bridge!

Cole Mill Trail along the banks of the Eno River

Campsite 10 in Piper Creek Campground

Deer seen from campsite 9

Bobbitt Hole

Rocks above Bobbitt Hole

Another view of Bobbitt Hole

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
great pictures doe's it get busy there when not raining? what's parking like?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
great pictures doe's it get busy there when not raining? what's parking like?
It wasn't raining this AM, but the trail was damp from last night's rain. I saw only one other group of 2 people on the trail today, but it was a Tuesday morning. I'm sure on a nice summer weekend day it gets some traffic. There seems to be very adequate parking in two paved lots at the end of Old Cole Mill Rd. There is also a toilet, picnic tables, a shelter and a canoe launch, as well as other hiking trails, accessible from this parking area.

NOTE: Do not paddle the Eno without first checking water levels. It is often too low and you'll be dragging bottom, or can be too high and quite dangerous due to heavy flows and downed trees. At the right level, though, a paddle down the Eno is great!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
One of my favorite trails! I have to wait for a couple of dry days to go to the Eno, it just gets too muddy for my dogs. There is always plenty of parking, even when busy.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:36 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Is there actually good swimming there? Would love to visit if so.

Water looks pretty clear, which is rare for this area!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
One of my favorite trails! I have to wait for a couple of dry days to go to the Eno, it just gets too muddy for my dogs. There is always plenty of parking, even when busy.
The Pump Station & Laurel Bluffs Trail don't get too muddy after heavy rains and seem to dry out pretty quickly, so they might be another option for you to consider.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Quote:
The Pump Station & Laurel Bluffs Trail don't get too muddy after heavy rains and seem to dry out pretty quickly, so they might be another option for you to consider.
Do they also lead to Bobbitt's Hole?

Nice pics!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Do they also lead to Bobbitt's Hole?

Nice pics!
Not exactly, though you can cross the river and access the Dunnagan & Pea Creek Trails which connect into the Cole Mill and Bobbitt Hole Trails. You can also continue along the river where the Pump Station Trail turns away from the river and follow the section of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail which is still being built. It's in generally good shape, with only a couple of creek crossings that need bridges but are easy enough to cross. This leads to Cole Mill Rd where you can cross the bridge and pick up the Pea Creek Trail. There is also a nice swimming hole on the Pump Station & Dunnagan Trails called Bob's Hole, located at the site of Durham's Old Pump Station (now in ruins which can be seen from the trails and river). Here's a link to a great write-up by with pics and detailed history of the Pump Station: Endangered Durham: DURHAM WATER COMPANY - ENO RIVER PUMPING STATION (http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com/2009/08/durham-water-company-eno-river-pumping.html - broken link)

As for swimming, yes, you can swim in the Eno at a number of spots, including Bobbitt Hole, Bob's Hole at the Pump Station and others. The water is often pretty clear for this area and the temperature is quite refreshing as the Eno is largely fed by springs & small streams.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Great post!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 9,800 times
Thanks for the information. My son is at Duke going through a Stem Cell trnasplant from his brother. We are looking for some easy trails he can do between daily clinic visits if the doctors allow. They want him away from crowds of people and walking for exercise, hope this will help. We are from out of town and need to know safe places to walk. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary