Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM

32 posts, read 246,716 times

Advertisements

Yes, selling cars might make you more money if you're good at that sort of thing, but that doesn't mean you will like it. Teaching is something you love or hate, or spend a lot of time wondering about, but it isn't about the money. People who do it, do it because they love working with kids or like having long holidays, or like sharing their knowledge or like working more or less on their own. It all depends on one's character. . . and how you end up doing once you give it a try.

One thing that you will find as a new teacher. . . well, might find. . . is that the first year is a lot, a lot, a shockingly great lot more difficult and trying than you might imagine. I taught for 10 years overseas at a university and for aobut 9 years in the US as an adjunct roaming from community college to community college before I started teaching at high school here, and. . . it was so different that I was about ready to walk out the door after two weeks. Fortunatley, I lasted and have learned from my mistakes, and the following year proved much, much easier (as all the seasoned teachers had promised), so who knows.

Yes, give it a try, but think about it first, and if you do decide to go for it, commit for at least two years so that you get the full picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,018 times
I too, am trying to get a lateral entry position. I am getting all the app. stuff ready now.
Being new to this state, I was excited to think about teaching in Wake county. It however, doesn't appear to be so easy or attainable.
Any other ideas of how to get in doing "lateral entry"??

Old 09-01-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Trying to get in via lateral entry

New to the state? Whereabouts? What is the area you are going to try to get licensure in? My advice is to try for the smaller counties and/or wait for real last minute jobs appearing. My lateral entry moment came a day or two before the school year was to begin. When they need to fill classrooms with teachers, admin folks can get much more generous in terms of getting you signed up and in the door.

You might want to contact a few counties and try to get to the know the lateral entry coordinator in those locations. They don't have any pull, but they might have some pointers in terms of where you might consider applying.

I remember that as the year wore on, I got calls from Duplin, Edgecombe, Yadkin, Orange and. . . that county where they have the famous golf tournament.... well, over there. All of the calls came at the last minute.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,175,291 times
With all the laid off certified teachers coming to NC, the need for teachers here has dramatically decreased.

Perhaps the education credits could be earned while working in another field.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
With all the laid off certified teachers coming to NC, the need for teachers here has dramatically decreased.
That is only half the story. While it is true that as of August 22, 2008 Wake County only had roughly 22 vacant teacher positions to fill, the same news article makes a very critical point.

"Despite the good news this year, Wake is still facing a difficult future. Last school year, 25 percent of the district’s teachers were eligible to retire in the next five years."

newsobserver.com | Wake Schools have fewer teaching vacancies (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1189187.html - broken link)

Cleary there remains a need to continually replace such a large number of retiring teachers as it occurs over the next five years.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
Good luck, but I think most of the lateral entry folks they get come from areas where they have a hard time finding qualified teachers--math, science, foreign languages.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:26 PM

That's true, so that's why you have to try for those spots. Just look at the various school system sites. You can tell which ones are the most open to lateral entry candidates by the degree to which they explain it. Some mention, some don't, some give every last detail - and they make it clear on the first page. That's a good place to start, I suppose.

On the other hand, some of those spots might have more openings because they are less attractive, either as a place to live or in the quality of their schools. No longer lateral entry myself, I went job hunting in Catawba County. . .went to their job fair, and. . . wow! I coudln't believe how many people were there. . . in Catawba County! So, there do seem to be an awful lot of teachers out there looking for work. I did the Wake County job fair a few years back when I was looking for a job via lateral, and that was a joke - packed to the gills and not a single interview, appointment for an interview, or even claim for an upcoming job opening.

As I said, last minute chances seem the best bet. Of course, I think age also matters, despite all of the claims of non-discriminatory employment. After all, so many of the principals these days, especially of elementary and middle schools, look like they graduated only a couple of years ago, so. . . well, you can figure.

I think I am getting myself depressed, to be quite honest. Truthfully, I have decided to check it in after this year (sooner if possible). It's not the kids, strangely enough, but rather the system, the lack of security, and the seemingly lack of future prospects. Of course, if you are happy in your district, then it is probably easier to get transferred from one school to another, but the inter-district moves are not as easy as one would think.

Oh well, I will stop. Ignore what you like in this message, and grab what you like. I have to go make lesson plans for the next week (required) that I won't actually be able to use due to the nature of my subject.

Ciao.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:49 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,489 times
I went through the lateral entry program called NC teach in 2006 through NC State. I highly reccomend this program as they have several cohorts so depending where you live there should be one close to you.

As for finding a job, Wake County is not the place, they will not hire lateral entry teachers, they will place a sub before hiring you. Durham, Johnston,Chatham, Orange and any other big counties are not much different except they may hire you in a dire situation(aka math or science last minute).

Your best bet for a job is to head to a smaller county like Lee, Harnett, Vance, Person, Nash, or Granville. They will hire you. I was hired in Granville County in 2006. I am entering my third year there and although I could move into Wake County system now, I actually enjoy were I work so I have decided to just deal with the 30 minute commute.

I will be honest doing lateral entry is HARD because you have to prepare lessons for your classes from scratch, go to school at night, do your own homework for your education classes, grade papers, and have time for your family. It will test you but if you make it through then teaching is the right choice for you. Best of luck and keep an eye on the smaller counties, people leave and retire all the time so don't give up.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,430 times
Default Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
Thanks so much for all that information!!! It's great to talk to someone who is going through it. My resume, cover letter, transcript and letters of reference are all set. Now I need to find a job! I'm moving to FV in September so SE Raleigh works as well as Johnston and Harnett Counties!

I am going to be trying to get a job as an English teacher through lateral entry and I need to make a resume. However, I wasn't sure how I needed to make it look, since I'm not actually certified?! Can you tell me where I need to look for an example or tell me how you did your? What do I need to have all together to give to people at job fairs and such? Also, Johnston County is really good for taking Lateral Entry teachers.
Thank you in advance!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM

13 posts, read 32,426 times
Default Re: Lateral entry

Does anyone know how lateral entry is accepted in the Wilmington area? (New Hanover, Pender, Brunswick county)

I have a bachelors in Bio and am interested in teaching middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary