Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,322,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Z Pizza is on of the better GF pizzas around. Too bad the gluten pizza cost an arm and a leg! We usually order GF pizza from Z Pizza and order our other pizza from elsewhere
Good point. I don't recall what the Gluten Free pizza cost (I had a buy 1 pizza get the second one free coupon) but Zpizza in general is a little pricey. But they do make a nice pie. One other thing is the Zpizza GF crust only comes in one size: small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:58 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,116,774 times
DH and I went to zPizza this afternoon so I could try out the gluten-free (GF) pizza.

It's a tiny place located near Kohl's on Falls of Neuse Road, next door to a phone store. The customer service is great, the health code is 96% (A), and they seem to have a lot of options for non-GF food, and some options for GF pizza.

For people who love thin-crust pizza, it's great. They did have some "artisan" style pizzas (I think that was the term they used for it) that were thicker, but not in GF.

My GF pizza was tasty and had a very thin crust. It had a sweet taste that I couldn't identify -- it tasted like pineapple a bit, and it may have been in the crust (maybe molasses?) or it may have been in the sweet tomatoes on top. I just don't know. But it was good. My husband had just one slice of some type of thin pizza, and he said the bill was about $14 (no drinks).

So it was very tasty, and if I was in the neighborhood again, I'd probably stop by, but Lily's Pizza is most like the (non-GF) western-NY pizza I grew up with and absolutely love -- it's thick and chewy with loads of cheese and toppings.

We'd been meaning to go the Harris Teeter to buy gluten-free Betty Crocker cookie and brownie mixes, and it was nearby, so we did, and that was great. HT also has the best selection of teas that I've ever seen. I bought the ginger tea I'd been looking for and a few more kinds. We also stocked up on GF pasta and quinoa (keen-wah) pasta, which is gluten free.

Thank you, NRG, for posting that pizza pic that started all of this.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:27 PM

5,747 posts, read 17,628,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
We'd been meaning to go the Harris Teeter to buy gluten-free Betty Crocker cookie and brownie mixes, and it was nearby, so we did, and that was great. HT also has the best selection of teas that I've ever seen. I bought the ginger tea I'd been looking for and a few more kinds. We also stocked up on GF pasta and quinoa (keen-wah) pasta, which is gluten free.
If you want to try a good GF cake, the Namaste Spice Cake is pretty good. My wife adds carrots to make a pretty good carrot cake. We used to be able to get them at Kroger in Garner, but now they only seem to sell the choc and vanilla. I had to order a carton of the spice cake mixes from Amazon.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM

69 posts, read 172,900 times
Has anyone seen the Ener-G light tapioca loaf around here? It's fluffier than the regular and my all time favorite gluten free bread but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Best of all it can be kept at room temp until opened so it's good for travel.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 PM

862 posts, read 3,554,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupus View Post
Has anyone seen the Ener-G light tapioca loaf around here? It's fluffier than the regular and my all time favorite gluten free bread but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Best of all it can be kept at room temp until opened so it's good for travel.
I just saw it at Super Wal-mart at Brier Creek. Also, I think Kroger has it too.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Kroger has the regular but not the light. I'll still buy the regular, but prefer the light. I'll check the super wally world since I need to go to the Sam's behind it for some stuff anyway.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,116,774 times
Does anyone know where I can buy some xanthan gum? It's an additive to put into rice flour to make it more like regular flour. It's in a lot of GF recipes.

When I went to Harris Teeter, they said they used to carry it, but they don't anymore. I don't even know where to find it in a store. The spice section?

Does anyone know who carries it and where I'd find it? I know it's expensive, and I thought they might not have it out due to its expensive, but I saw saffron wrapped in paper in a small spice bottle at Harris Teeter, and that was almost $19(!).

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 AM

5,747 posts, read 17,628,938 times
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can buy some xanthan gum? It's an additive to put into rice flour to make it more like regular flour. It's in a lot of GF recipes.

When I went to Harris Teeter, they said they used to carry it, but they don't anymore. I don't even know where to find it in a store. The spice section?

Does anyone know who carries it and where I'd find it? I know it's expensive, and I thought they might not have it out due to its expensive, but I saw saffron wrapped in paper in a small spice bottle at Harris Teeter, and that was almost $19(!).

Thanks.
My wife has some xanthan gum, but I don't recall where she got it. And unfortunately she has already taken it out of the original package to put in tupperware. In our grocery store, if they had it, it would be on the baking isle in with the prepackaged bread machine mixes. I think that my wife got it at Whole Foods, but not sure. I'll ask her when she wakes up this morning.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,135,178 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Whole Foods and probably Earth Fare

I believe it's usually in the baking section.

It is expensive but a little goes a long way.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
The cheapest option is to order from a vitamin web site. NOW brand of vitamins also makes bottles of guar and xanthan gum that are the cheapest I have seen. I use them and have been very happy with the product and the price. Much cheaper than bob's red mill. Here's the site I ordered from:

NOW VITAMINS - XANTHAN GUM 6 OZ

I ordered 2 bottles of xanthan gum and still have one unopened. It goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary