Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 AM

633 posts, read 1,167,298 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was wondering if any of you have relocated from out of state and how you successfully did it. My husband and I want to relocate our family to the Wake Forest/Rolesville/N.Raleigh area, however our jobs are not relocating us. We have to seek employment there, sell our house here, find a house there, etc. Just thinking about it overwhelms me and I don't want to NOT make the move our of FEAR of the unknown. I'm the type of person that gets nervous with big changes but we just cannot raise our little girls here anymore! I have 3 daughters, ages 16, 5 and 4.
If you prefer, you can private message me. Thanks in advance to any insight you can provide!
L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 AM

282 posts, read 822,452 times
I moved here from New York. I assume I did it in the typical way. I put my resume together and posted it online began applying for jobs in the Raleigh area. I went on phone interviews until a company asked if I could come down for an in person interview, I flew down and was lucky to be hired that day. We then found temporary residence in an apartment complex and signed a 6 month lease. After living here for those 6 months and learning about the area we began the process of buying a house. I've been living in that house and working the same job since.

If both you and your husband work I would recommend the person who is most likely to make the bulk of your combined income find a job before the move. Though it didn't leave us much time to move or find an apartment, it was only temporary and the security of having the job was worth it.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 AM

232 posts, read 1,032,470 times
Big decisions in life are obviously not easy to make. We moved to Cary many years ago from GA and couldn't be any happier. Triangle has been a fantastic area to live in.

One recommendation as you are considering the move,.... dont over analyze and sort out every little thing else you will never feel comfortable in making the move. If most things are lined up, bite the bullet and make your move. You will not regret your decision. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

621 posts, read 2,222,715 times
I agree with crifever... Whatever you decide, just don't look back or think about the 'what-ifs'... However, in most cases it'd be good to have a couple/several interviews lined up before your next visit (at least one of you). If not, you might be overwhelmed with all of the unknowns.

ps. hopefully your 16 year old can adjust to moving this late into HS... I had to deal with that and wouldn't want to put my future kid(s) through it---unless there's no other choice.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 PM

36 posts, read 171,121 times
We are starting the process of relocating. It takes a lot of preparation and patience. I made a cross country move from DC to CA years ago, but I was single and only had to worry about myself. I got a job, looked on-line at apartments and asked some friends that were out there about certain areas. Then I just got on a plane and mailed a ton of boxes to myself.

Either way, secure a job first. That is what we are in the process of doing now. Looking for jobs everyday and sending out hubby's resume. If he gets a job, we will pack up and move, he possibly going first without us. We will stay here and get the house ready, put it up for rent. (we are already getting rid of stuff that we don't want to take with us, and boxing things up that we want to take but don't have a pressing need for). We are also getting out house "rental ready" (fixing those irritating little things like the outlet cover that is mismatched or the scuff marks on the walls, or replacing tiles,etc) We plan on getting an apartment to move us all into until we can find a house. We are also saving a lot to bridge that gap between getting the house rented and looking for a new one, covering rent on the apartment and anything that is not covered by the rent on the house we are currently in. Saving $$$ is first and foremost and every month we add as much as possible.
So I suppose it goes
1.Simultaneously getting your house in order and packing, saving money, and narrowing down the areas you want to relocate to.
2. Securing a job
3.Simulataneously (notice a trend?!) moving, finding a new apartment and getting your house rented/sold.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 PM

635 posts, read 3,098,339 times
We moved here from California(San Jose/Fremont area) not quite 4 years ago via a brief 1yr stint in a Cary rental, then settling in Sanford. I would be dishonest to say we don't miss anything from CA, or that the move wasn't fraught with the normal stresses, trials, and tribulations. But as mentioned above, we made the move for the right reasons, and we have looked forward toward making this new place our home, not back.

With that in mind, we've made many friends and experienced many new things. We love our new home, and it is becoming a part of our life's story as we too become part of the community.

We certainly don't regret our move, and every day makes our house here feel more like "home"

Good luck!
Al

Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,796,959 times
We got lucky... my husband found a job that paid for the relocation, my job allowed me to telecommute, we found our dream house in Durham on our first house-scouting expedition, and we were able to rent out our house in Detroit within about a week of listing it Everything just fell into place for us, and I hope it does for you too!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 PM

5,751 posts, read 17,641,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
I was wondering if any of you have relocated from out of state and how you successfully did it. We have to seek employment there, sell our house here, find a house there, etc.
We did exactly as you state. . . . . but. . . . .we did it 3 years ago when the economy was good and the real estate market was rolling along.

I started searching for a job in Raleigh and in the meantime, we prepared our house in Dallas to put it on the market. I was lucky enough that I found employment without even a having to come to Raleigh for a face-to-face interview. A company hired me after 3 short phone interviews.

As soon as the ink was dry on the offer, we called our realtor and put our house on the market. Part of my employment offer was to start work within 2 weeks of accepting the offer, so we had to move fast. We called a few apartments in Raleigh and signed a 6 month lease without even visiting the complex. We also called a moving company and told them to show up at our house in 10 days. We then packed all of our belongings up over the next 10 days. My wife and I quit our old jobs that week. Once the moving truck left our house, we got in our 2 cars and spent 3 days driving to Raleigh.

We beat the moving van by 1 day. While I was at my first day of work, my wife supervised unloading the moving van. 1/3 of our stuff went into the apartment, the other 2/3 into the garage for the apartment.

For the next 9 months, we looked for a house. We renewed our lease to go month to month for those last 3 months. My wife found a new job, but it took 6 months. We sold our house back in Dallas within 2 months of arriving in Raleigh.

All in all. . . . .I did not think of it as a fearful experience. I found it exciting. We did not have 3 grown girls though. We just had an infant son and 2 dogs.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,321,989 times
Thumbs up We are moving where? WHEN?

For my wife and I it was like a whirl-wind courtship. I was being laid off in Michigan. NO PROSPECTS AT ALL for any type of employment.

We talked about what ifs...and they were all answered with NOT IN MICHIGAN...NOT NOW..

So we started sending resumes electronically via email on job search sites.

It was going to be either New Mexico of North Carolina.

We knew about as much about one as we did the other so it did not matter to us...(what were we thinking?)

Got a call from a school district, did the preliminaries and a week later had the offer.

WOW..was it real? Found a room to rent on Craigs List moved two weeks later.
After two months found a house to rent, moved again and on June 16 I am going back to bring my wife, dawgs, and the rest of our worldly possessions to North Carolina.

Now we do not have kids to bring as ours are grown so we are "leaving" them behind..

But we are dealing with selling the house (not likely in Detroit) and the high anxiety of moving somewhere neither of us had ever been before..

Is there a right way? Probably not.
Is it frightening? FLAT OUT TERRIFYING

But I truly believe that for us it is the best option available to us and so far we are really happy with our decision.

We are already looking at our next move..may be towards the mountains or the TRIAD area in a couple of years...

Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 PM

17 posts, read 38,323 times
Default Just relocated in April

My wife and I had the same type of fears. We wanted to move, so our children (3 and 20 months) can grow up in a MUCH better area than we were in. My wife was able to find a job via monster and was hired from a couple of phone interviews. Our view was once one of us was employed that we would put our house on the market and move. Since we are very conservative, my wife commuted 5 1/2 hours (each way) for 6 weeks (we rented a house temporarily and she stayed there) until we all made the move. So far we love it. We were lucky enough to get an acceptable offer on our home in under 1 month are are looking to buy here, now. With all of the stress and apprehension, I'd say it was the best thing we could of done. Find employment for at least one person and take the leap of faith. There are some really good deals on real estate right now. I would definitely do it again. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary