Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times

Advertisements

...how long did it take you to find one?

In the mean time did you live on a wing and a prayer (and your savings)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
My SO and I moved to Raleigh in June 06. I had the job and he came up with only a bit of savings tucked away. He is still busy submitting applications for a full-time, professional job as of now. In the meantime he has been working a part-time retail position that is semi related to his professional field.

I think it really depends on the field you are looking for when it comes to how long it takes to get a job here. In our case, the field he's looking for is very network-centric, and he had an excellent network in the state we came from, but not much here. I think this and internal promotions are what is really making it difficult for him, especially since he has been passed over on positions that he is very well qualified for. Let's just say it has not been easy.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 AM

13 posts, read 58,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I think it really depends on the field you are looking for when it comes to how long it takes to get a job here.
I would agree. I was without a job for about 45 days, while my husband was without for about 5 months. Savings and me finding a job so quickly helped us get by. Also, financially I planned for us to be without income for about 3 mos once we got here, so it balanced out.

This is not a difficult climate to find a job. But, if your area of expertise is more particular there may be better times of the year to find one. For example, we moved in October and I knew that was the worst time to look for work. Typically very few people/companies make changes around the holidays. As luck would have it I found an opportunity that needed someone just before the holidays. However, once the new year came many more job postings appeared in my field.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:18 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
I asked this question because it seems like most people weren't able to find a job until they moved to NC. I understand people do not want to deal with applicants out of state for the most part -- unless it's a real high level job that requires a nation wide search. My husband is an network engineer/manager -- so I hope it will not take long. He is thinking about making a trip down to check out the area -- and he is hoping to meet w/ a recruiter in person to get a head start. We would be too scared to move without a job for him. We have three young children. It makes makes me wish we gave relocating a go before kids.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Someone in another thread stated to write on resume - willing to relocate (insert date here) and also if you are willing to pay your own move, state that as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM

27 posts, read 176,399 times
I'm in your position, thinking about relocating without a job. I'm a teacher and applied to every school in Wake County without gaining a single call-back. A friend of mine who teaches there asked her Principal what the problem was. Her Principal said that they like to "take care of their own" and suggested that I move there and THEN apply for jobs.

However, I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to make such a bold move. What happens when you run out of money and literally can't pay your rent?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default i did

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC? View Post
I asked this question because it seems like most people weren't able to find a job until they moved to NC. I understand people do not want to deal with applicants out of state for the most part -- unless it's a real high level job that requires a nation wide search. My husband is an network engineer/manager -- so I hope it will not take long. He is thinking about making a trip down to check out the area -- and he is hoping to meet w/ a recruiter in person to get a head start. We would be too scared to move without a job for him. We have three young children. It makes makes me wish we gave relocating a go before kids.
I would not move without some kind of job to at least pay bills. Also you should (we all should) have a cushion for "just in case".

You never really know how that 1st job you will get will go and then if it goes bad, back to point A

Old 03-07-2007, 09:52 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
In general North Carolina Companies have been burned by people relocating here and then deciding they did not like it here and relocating some where else. So companies like to see you will be staying here. And also, while "one" is still out of state there is no guarantee "one" will be able to move when they say they can. ya know? So usually - not always "one" will have a better chance at a job once they are a resident here.
And I have seen people have instant results with landing jobs using a headhunter. I think maybe the headhunters are so agressive and know most of the companies they are dealing with.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1077 View Post
I'm in your position, thinking about relocating without a job. I'm a teacher and applied to every school in Wake County without gaining a single call-back. A friend of mine who teaches there asked her Principal what the problem was. Her Principal said that they like to "take care of their own" and suggested that I move there and THEN apply for jobs.

However, I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to make such a bold move. What happens when you run out of money and literally can't pay your rent?
Did you try applying in neighboring counties? The Triangle is a pretty big place.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 58,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
So usually - not always "one" will have a better chance at a job once they are a resident here.
My resume got the most interest when I posted my new Raleigh address on it. Probably true that many companies would prefer to deal with local candidates. My suggestion, find someone local (even if it's your realtor) and ask to use their address for your resume. And, then use your cell number as contact. It probably also helped that we had a house built and i'm sure they were more comfortable with me owning a home in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary