Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 PM

48 posts, read 230,965 times

Advertisements

Hi, I relocated from NJ 13 years ago. As the other people have said you need to find a job first. I took phone interviews and then had a couple of companies fly me down for interviews. The one that hired me paid for my relocation. I had two weeks to move. I flew back down mid week, found a townhome to rent, went back to NJ, put my house up for sale and moved back down and started my new job in two weeks. It took six months to sell my house back in NJ. I've never regreted the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:45 PM

186 posts, read 660,101 times
1. DH found a job working from home that would allow him to telecommute from the Triangle. 2. DH began actively marketing our home and getting offers. 3. We found a great rental in a great area. 4. I lined up interviews in my relatively stable field. 5. We moved. 6. We sold our home. 7. I got a job.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM

107 posts, read 312,072 times
I relocated her about 4 months and did the same as many - started job hunting since I was unwilling to uproot my w/o family employment. I earn substantially more than my fiancee who is a teacher and so we are not living apart - the job market for teachers does not look for great in the area but we he is going to move soon with savings and my income to help us until he can gain employment.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM

331 posts, read 1,311,848 times
We moved here from California one year ago this month. We sold our job, quit our jobs, loaded up the uhaul and drove across country. We rented a house in Raleigh and I found a job after being here two jobs. Yes it was very scary but the prospects here were much better than in California. We have been very happy here. The weather is great, the cost of almost everything is better. I got a job that pays more and offers much more opportunity than I had in California. It has been a HUGE adjustment, I will tell you that. Be strong and you will do just fine.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,467,088 times
1. I applied to jobs online and had quite a few telephonic interviews.
2. I scheduled a week to come down for in-person interviews two months before I was scheduled to move down.
3. I put my house on the market.
4. I sold my house in two weeks.
5. I was told a job was mine, but before any of the paperwork could be signed, I was told the job was going to be revamped and reposted.
6. I moved anyway (I'd already given notice at my job, sold my house, bought plane tickets and shipped my vehicle before I found out about the job -- two weeks before I was due to move) and registered with a lot of different temporary companies and worked temp jobs until I could find employment.
7. I started my permanent position 4 1/2 months after moving here.

My situation went a little smoother because I sold my house and saved $20k in anticipation of buying a home when I got here. The curve ball thrown by my original potential employer only served to make me more cognizant of how we spent money. We would have been able to live for about 3 years if I wasn't able to find a job. But that's provided we lived frugally (which I do anyway) and didn't use the money to buy a new house. Things worked out to where I got a job almost immediately, but that was last year. It's hard to know how different things would have been if I had done the same thing this year.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM

306 posts, read 720,349 times
SINY2NC-
We moved here over a year ago from Ohio and I wish we'd done it ten years ago. Finding a job, selling your house, packing up, moving, finding a place to live here is hectic and chaotic, but SO worth it in the end. We were originally very discouraged that our house in Ohio took so long to sell, but in hindsight, it gave us the time to really learn the area and figure out where we wanted to live in the Raleigh area.

My husband had a job secured here when we moved, but I did not.........but he's the major breadwinner, so we were OK. I waited a while to get a job (this was last year when jobs were a little more plentiful) and wound up with a complete career change.....and I love it.

Bottom line: it's SO worth it if you just understand that you can't control all aspects of the transition--SOMETHING will not go as planned (we had to cram a 4 bedroom house into a 2 bedroom apartment for a short time)--but when it's over you can sit out on your front porch on a nice evening with a drink in your hand and watch the kids playing in the front yard, and see what a great decision you made in moving here. Best of luck!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 41,755 times
As a real estate broker, I'd say you should focus on getting your home sold where you are and begin searching for jobs in the area. Those seem to be the most challenging things. I think you picked a great location. I service the Triad area, but I know of a great real estate broker in the Raleigh area. So, whenever you're ready to move or start looking for a house, I can give you the agent's contact information. I wish you the best with your move!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,178,258 times
I was laid off in New Orleans in 1989. Economy had crashed and even Mickey Dee's had a long list.

Got an offer for 30% less but with relo after 6 months of unemployment (I was in IT but no work at all).

Abandoned the house, filed Chapter 7 in Raleigh, and started over.

It all turned out for the best. Wound up getting back to church and our life was greatly blessed.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 AM

553 posts, read 1,273,140 times
We are getting ready to move to the area in a couple of days.

The best advice I can give is to do your research, plan and be organized. We spent the last 7 months researching the Triangle area, making a few visits to drive around and interview for jobs. We also spent a significant amount of time preparing our house for sale.

You should make a trip or two to see if you like the area. Drive around, check out neighborhoods. People are very nice about telling others about the area.

As far as the job search, posting resumes on the numerous career sites is a good idea. Also, you may want to contact a headhunter to help in your search. My husband was able to get a couple of interviews. Thankfully, his company is allowing him to telecommute.

One thing I did notice, especially in my field, is that some employers will not talk to out of state residents. In fact, one academic institution actually told me to my face that they don't normally contact anyone with an out of state resume. That should not discourage you, though. Be persistent.

The bottom line is to have a plan and a timetable. It makes the process so much easier.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:48 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,829,376 times
Definitely try...I just don't recommend moving until you have a job secured. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but with this economy that would be a real gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary