Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina, looking at neighborhoods, good school districts, Chapel Hill, Wake County, public versus private schools, rental prices, cost of living, traffic and commute

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:26 PM

28 posts, read 108,125 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming to Raleigh April 4 to have a look at neighborhoods/ schools...he is being relocated to the RTP. Based on much of what I have heard here and on other threads, it seems like most of you recommend we focus more on Chapel Hill schools that Wake County? Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaltonc View Post
My husband and I are coming to Raleigh April 4 to have a look at neighborhoods/ schools...he is being relocated to the RTP. Based on much of what I have heard here and on other threads, it seems like most of you recommend we focus more on Chapel Hill schools that Wake County? Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!
Our suggestions for you will largely be based on what type of area you are looking for and what your price point is.

Also, while you might be about being relocated, if you are looking for help from those of us that live here and enjoy the area I wouldn't start off a post with a face. Not a criticism, just a helpful suggestion. YOu know the old saying about honey attracts more flies than vinegar.

Give us an idea of what sort of neighborhood you are looking for old/ new, public/ private school, drive time to RTP, renting/ buying, etc. BTW, it's usually just RTP not the RTP.

Good luck adjusting to the idea of the transfer.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,039,924 times
I think once you are able to learn more about the area, you will be able to get a better feel for the place...........Commute may be an issue for you, there is no sense living 45 minutes from where you work, if that is an issue for you. RTP is considered the area where the technology thrives! The triangle is considered Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and every town in between, and it basically encompasses three counties, raleigh, durham and orange. So, you have a lot of ground to cover!

As far as schools go, I hear more positive about wake county schools than negative. There is more overcrowding in the more "compact" areas of the triangle, like the parts of cary nearest to RTP. The homes are on smaller lots, more people, more kids, more kids in the schools, more opportunity to redistrict.

I have a child in kindergarten, in a wake county school, and I have been quite happy, as has she. SO, I think there are a lot of different opinions about the school system. I grew up in chapel hill (just outside) and went to private school, then to chapel hill high school. Very good school system, lots of pressure for success and high achievement (in my opinion). Honestly, in many ways I think the schools can be what you make of them, being involved as a parent, but that is my humble opinion. You could probably spend 50 hours reading through the posts on the wake county school system, you will find people on both sides of the fence and some place in the middle.

Making a move is a big event, decide which things are most important for you and ask questions. This board is very helpful for being able to tell you the "real deal" about traffic, neighborhoods, etc.

Leigh

Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,301,356 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say most people recommend that. There are a vocal few that do, but there are many people who are happy in Wake County.

What are you looking for as far as housing goes? Price range, size, suburban, or rural setting ect.....?

What type of commute?

many choose to rent for 6 months to a year before buying to get the lay of the land.

There are lots of Choices in the Triangle. Try not to take the posts on this forum too seriously. There are over a million people living in the Triangle and only a hundred or so on this forum. Views expressed on this forum are those of the individual members and not necessisarly reflective of the community as a whole.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:55 PM

189 posts, read 754,102 times
I'm a N. Cal native, only leaving N. Cal in 2005 and might be able to translate a few of the local places in N. Cal terms. What are you looking for, specifically? You mentioned schools, but what type of school do you want and at what grade levels? How significant are commute times, cost and type of housing, restaurants and cultural amenities?

The Triangle region has many neighborhood and housing styles from which to choose, as well as a smattering of schools of choice (public charter schools exist here, but not as many as in CA). Putting aside disappointment at leaving home and recognizing that the Triangle area is more of a mid-sized city region, as opposed to the SF Bay Area, what would you like to examine?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,190,136 times
If you own a home in NorCal (assuming Bay Area), the house hunt will be like being a kid in a candy store.

Regarding schools, my family moved from Los Gatos when I was a preteen and, when we arrived in Raleigh, I was almost a year behind in school. The schools in Raleigh/Wake County were far superior to what we had in the Silicon Valley. Wake County's schools were shaped by parents who demanded better education for their children since the area began to grow in the 60's. NY'ers especially demanded that the bar be raised as IBM moved thousands of employees to RTP.

If I were you, I'd look closely at Wake County before discounting it. There's many things to like about the county and more choices because of its scale and population.

I think you will be surprised at the number of people here from California as well as from many other states and countries. While it's not the complete melting pot you might find in California, it probably will surprise you a bit.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:58 PM

93 posts, read 292,406 times
Default Relocation

Quote:
It is very difficult to say that one school is bad than the other. Wake county schools are vrated wvery well depanding on where you really want to relocate. It all depands on how much you want to spend on a house. When you come here please find a realtor that can take you to different parts and different area near RTP. Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Raleigh and Some parts of Durham that are really nice.

I would really sugest that you go and check on Wake county public school system web site where you can actually find stats of all wake county schools and will give you an idea about the schools. So before you are set and made up your mind about getting in to Chapel Hill please check these web sites out. If School is your biggest critieria than thee are many good schools where the houseing is not too expensive and you can get more for the Buck.

Chapel Hill is very good but so is the housing there. it is very expensive and there is no more room to build. Please do yur research before making up your mind to where to buy and get a realtor for yourself. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 AM

159 posts, read 609,239 times
Chapel Hill schools are consistently good, so it's difficult to go wrong. However, like everyone else has said - you pay a lot for a lot less where housing is concerned. If you have an unlimited budget, go for it.

I have seen higher test scores and just as much parent involvement in some of the Wake schools. The concern in Wake would be reassignments and busing in some areas. You shouldn't fall in love with specific schools if you're moving to Wake, but live in the right areas, and you'll be fine regardless.

There are schools in Durham that are great, where housing is also much more affordable. With planning, smarts, and a willingness to go against the relocation grain, you can set yourself and your family up in sweet digs with good schools in Durham. You just need to do your research, have an open mind, and think for yourself.

I hope your angry face turns happy soon when you see all that the Triangle has to offer!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM

150 posts, read 507,230 times
Hi there nocaltonc,

My husband and I just moved to Cary willingly from NorCal (Santa Cruz), giving up the beach in our backyard...and guess what? We're not lookin' back! We don't miss the traffic, the crowding, the insane home prices...all of it! People are so sincerely friendly and caring here. The weather is pretty similar during the winter (obviously not in the summer), and there are soooo many things for children and adults to do year round. We love hiking and the outdoors. The parks here are so well maintained it's like a dream! I can't speak to the school system here as I do not have children yet... I honestly feel that you can't do a lot worse then then the overcrowded schools in California. I remember as a kid spending my summers in NY and NJ where my Dad and extended family were. I had to finish up a few weeks in school one year at the end of the school year, and found out that even though I was learning above my grade level back home, I was actually a YEAR behind in NY.

The geographical litmus test? I recently traveled back to California for business and stayed in the town I grew up in (it has been 6 months almost since we moved) and found that I was actually relieved when I returned home. I couldn't believe that we adjusted so fast (and I am the first to say that I really, really despise change). I thought we'd never get over missing the beach and the lifestyle-but we did. To me, it says a lot about how great this area is.

I really hope that if you guys decide to stay here, that you give it a chance...you may find that you love it here too!
Safe travels to you

Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM

28 posts, read 108,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Our suggestions for you will largely be based on what type of area you are looking for and what your price point is.

Also, while you might be about being relocated, if you are looking for help from those of us that live here and enjoy the area I wouldn't start off a post with a face. Not a criticism, just a helpful suggestion. YOu know the old saying about honey attracts more flies than vinegar.

Give us an idea of what sort of neighborhood you are looking for old/ new, public/ private school, drive time to RTP, renting/ buying, etc. BTW, it's usually just RTP not the RTP.

Good luck adjusting to the idea of the transfer.
You're not going to believe this, but I have NO IDEA how the [angry] face was put on my initial message...the moderator cut my post from another thread and started a new one and, ta-da, the angry face appeared out of no where! That said, I am NOT angry or upset with the idea of relocating, in fact I'm the one in the family really pushing for it!

So...in answer to some of your questions: the reason I have the opinion that CH/ Carrboro schools are "better" is primarily because my kids won't get reassigned, possibly into different tracks - either traditional or YR. From what I've read on the boards, WCPSS is re-assigning kids on an annual basis. I am looking for a stable, known, ele-middle-hs. track for my kids and will not be happy to uproot them from their schools here, only to have them switched again the following year.

I know that WCPSS has some really great schools...I have been on the district websites and have a good idea of what they have to offer. I'm just getting really worried when I read posts about the "no neighborhood schools" comment from the superintendent, etc. I just don't see this kind of turmoil in the CH/Carrboro district - certainly not the same kind of bussing in and out of neighborhoods in order to level the amount of FR lunch.

That's where I was wondering if my assumptions/ impressions are correct or not.

AND...if anyone can suggest some nice neighborhoods in Chapel Hill to check out in April, I would greatly appreciate it. Yes, we will be like kids in the candy store when it comes to real estate...we currently own a home in the East Bay of SF, bought it 8 years ago and even with the current market downturn, we will still most likely sell for double our purchase price. Gotta love no. cal for some reasons...Ok, the weather rocks too. Our price range would be anywhere from $550 - 750 K.

THANKS for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary