Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina, looking at neighborhoods, good school districts, Chapel Hill, Wake County, public versus private schools, rental prices, cost of living, traffic and commute

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 PM

132 posts, read 446,125 times

Advertisements

If you don't mind what company will you be relocating through - hoping for more jobs for RTP in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,762,923 times
Red face Egg on my face!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaltonc View Post
You're not going to believe this, but I have NO IDEA how the [angry] face was put on my initial message...the moderator cut my post from another thread and started a new one and, ta-da, the angry face appeared out of no where! That said, I am NOT angry or upset with the idea of relocating, in fact I'm the one in the family really pushing for it!

So...in answer to some of your questions: the reason I have the opinion that CH/ Carrboro schools are "better" is primarily because my kids won't get reassigned, possibly into different tracks - either traditional or YR. From what I've read on the boards, WCPSS is re-assigning kids on an annual basis. I am looking for a stable, known, ele-middle-hs. track for my kids and will not be happy to uproot them from their schools here, only to have them switched again the following year.

I know that WCPSS has some really great schools...I have been on the district websites and have a good idea of what they have to offer. I'm just getting really worried when I read posts about the "no neighborhood schools" comment from the superintendent, etc. I just don't see this kind of turmoil in the CH/Carrboro district - certainly not the same kind of bussing in and out of neighborhoods in order to level the amount of FR lunch.

That's where I was wondering if my assumptions/ impressions are correct or not.

AND...if anyone can suggest some nice neighborhoods in Chapel Hill to check out in April, I would greatly appreciate it. Yes, we will be like kids in the candy store when it comes to real estate...we currently own a home in the East Bay of SF, bought it 8 years ago and even with the current market downturn, we will still most likely sell for double our purchase price. Gotta love no. cal for some reasons...Ok, the weather rocks too. Our price range would be anywhere from $550 - 750 K.

THANKS for all your help!
Sorry!!! Mea Culpa!!!

I live in Durham (near Southpoint... which is very close to RTP). And I haven't been here long enough to recommend Chapel Hill neighborhoods. But in the 550 - 750K range you'll be able to pick and choose.

You mentioned that your home doubled in value. I've met Californians who cashed out, bought homes out right with their equity and then sent their kids to private schools. You tend to get more home for your money in Durham. So depending on your needs, views about private schools, and size of the equity check this might be something to consider. I know there are several post about private schools in this area. Just a thought.

Again, I'm sorry I assumed that you were not happy about moving here. I have egg on my face.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:20 PM

9 posts, read 23,620 times
Even in that price range, you'll be astonished at how little you can afford in CH compared to areas in Wake County. I would also look carefully at the CH schools, especiall the elementary and the middle schools, before you decide that they are "uniformly good."

Yes. You do face the possibility of redistricting in Wake County, and not only to even out the F&R but to resolve issues of overcrowding.

It's a gamble, I think, no matter how you look at it. We're making an educated guess, but we're also doing what we can to retain the option of placing our kids into private schools if we have to.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,698,181 times
You'll also find a lot of people here who are very happy in Durham, and very happy with Durham schools. There are also a lot of great private school options as well. In you price range you could buy a lot of home, and still have a lot left for one of the great private school options in the area.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 PM

28 posts, read 108,137 times
[quote=PDXmom;3132288]Sorry!!! Mea Culpa!!!

I live in Durham (near Southpoint... which is very close to RTP). And I haven't been here long enough to recommend Chapel Hill neighborhoods. But in the 550 - 750K range you'll be able to pick and choose.

You mentioned that your home doubled in value. I've met Californians who cashed out, bought homes out right with their equity and then sent their kids to private schools. You tend to get more home for your money in Durham. So depending on your needs, views about private schools, and size of the equity check this might be something to consider. I know there are several post about private schools in this area. Just a thought.

Again, I'm sorry I assumed that you were not happy about moving here. I have egg on my face.

Soooo not even your fault! Don't worry about the egg...what's a little yolk anyway? Besides, the angry face WAS there, wasn't it? And, I think I'd assume the poster put it there in the first place, just like you did....so no harm done!

I'm having a hard time figuring out which private schools are really good...you can learn a lot about public schools from the websites, great-schools.com,etc. but there isn't as many "comparison" websites for private schools. Since we've heard how great the public schools are in CH/ Raleigh, we'd love to keep funding the college savings, rather than dump it all into private ed. for three kids.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Chapel Hill High Schools? They both (East and CHHS) look about equal on paper.

Oh yeah, and for the person who was curious, my husband will be relocating (if we take it!) with a professional liablilty insurance company.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:34 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,694,300 times
LOL at the angry face. Yes nocaltonc your angry face was on your post originally. It was not placed by a Moderator. We do not change smileys when just moving posts. lol.

It was changed for you tho as you expressed it was a mistake. So we are happy to hear you are happy about a possible move to NC.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,093,485 times
Nocaltonc: Glad to hear you've resolved the smiley face issue!

We've been investigating CH schools too. We're considering a move down from MA (though we are primarily West Coast people originally and have even lived in the Bay Area on and off for about 8 years).

On paper both ECHHS and CHHS look similar. I have 2 friends in CH and I've spoken with the guidance counselors at each and.....this is MY opinion only. I think ECHHS edges out CHHS just a bit. There seems to be just a few more selections in electives, AP courses and the guidance counselor at East seemed infinitely more knowledgeable than the guidance counselor at CHHS. There is a 3rd HS that opened this year: Carrboro HS. I don't yet know much about it.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,194,606 times
I'd second the idea of extending your home search to other parts of the Triangle if private schools are in the mix. If Wake Co., the areas that are fast growing are more likely to be reassigned since the flood of new homes means floods of new school children. I think that some of the more established areas are less likely (but no immune) to be shuffled around as the county population grows. Would anyone out there with kids be able to comment on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary