Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM

551 posts, read 2,288,477 times

Advertisements

The particular dish I had was better than the same dish at Sushi-Thai. Tom Yum doesn't have sushi, so can't compare. I think the prices at Tom Yum are a little better than Sushi-Thai, but that's just from memory. Tom Yum was smaller and quieter - S-T can be a loud place. Depending on what you're going for, one would be a better fit than the other. Tom Yum also only had beer and wine - not a full bar. I recall S-T having a full bar.

I love Thai food, and sushi, so I'll keep going to both!

ETA: All this based on S-T in Cary.... last time I went, S-T in Raleigh did not have good health ratings, which is something I especially can't live with in a sushi restaurant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM

584 posts, read 2,424,308 times
Be sure to try the Thai Tea there! Very good.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM

716 posts, read 1,040,992 times
Agreed. We're 'straight out of' northern Durham County-- but last time we were over in Cary on a weekend, we ate at Tom Yum and it was really, really good food. Highly recommended. They have nice, spicy dishes, and great drinks too.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM

110 posts, read 456,065 times
Wow $3.50 is dirt cheap, but how is the dinner prices there? Will give it a try sometime, thanks for the info.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,248,003 times
It's across the street from SAS, and a common lunch place for the workers. I thought it was no comparison to Lemongrass, but then again, the latter is in North Raleigh and not much help to people in Cary.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Maybe there's a SAS satelite office nearby that I don't know about, but the place I'm talking about is nowhere near the SAS that I know of. Tom Yum Thai is on Walnut Street, not far from Cary Town Centre and Cary High School.

Here's the website. The dinner menu posted has the prices on it. We thought it was entirely reasonable.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,152,226 times
The restaurant across the street from SAS is Yum Yum Thai. It isn't the same. We've been a little disappointed in Yum Yum Thai. We haven't had the chance to try Tom Yum Thai yet, but after reading this thread we'll make a special effort!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 PM

553 posts, read 2,333,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
We had dinner tonight at Tom Yum Thai in Cary. I don't know how we've overlooked this place - we've visited that shopping center at least a dozen times over the last six months.

They've done up the interior quite nicely; I especially liked the lighting. The service was excellent - quick and unobtrustive. But the food was really the best part. We had Thai Dumplings as an appetizer; Pad Thai and Massaman Curry as entrees; and coconut ice cream for dessert. It was delicious!

I encourage you to give it a try!
Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:49 AM

My last post would have made more sense if I had actually included the website address...

Tom Yum Thai Restaurant. Fresh Thai Delicacies in Cary, nc in the Triangle Area. Thai Cuisine - Our Menu

Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Just an FYI, they won't sell you their lunch specials to-go. They will everything else, though. Disappointing. I've never been to a place that picked-and-choosed what could be sold to-go or not. It's always an all or nothing. I understand that specials are usually ways to get people in the door and spend money on drinks (huge markup). I guess they'd rather make $0 from me now, and in the future. I could always sit down, order water and my meals, and then as soon as it arrives ask for a doggy bag - but that's just plain stupid. They just lost a customer - and people wonder why restaurants fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary