Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You might have neighbors who do not care but it still frown upon public affection

I couldn't disagree more. As a neighbor I would/ will care about you... because, well, you are my neighbor. If you are friendly I care about you even more.

Public affection does not bother me. I personally think this world needs a little more love and caring... hold hands & kiss all you want. Now I don't want to see much more than that from anyone of any sexuality.

I hope you find somewhere that makes you both happy! Good luck with the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
This my opnion and mine only (as a Cary resident): You'll be tolerated in Cary (most people will be tolerant and friendly and won't be ugly towards you), but you'll probably feel more a part of the community on Durham, although I wish MORE GLBt couples would move to Cary to spice it up a bit and make it a little more interesting. So for selfish reasons, I say move to Cary .

Old 10-30-2008, 11:20 PM

305 posts, read 713,639 times
Cary now has a gay bar:

Icon Nightclub
300 E Durham Rd.
Cary, NC

Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
We don't exactly walk down the street skipping and holding hands.
But wouldn't it be great if more people regardless of sexual orientation would walk down the street skipping and holding hands? That to me would indicate that you have arrived to an incredibly happy neighborhood!

Public affection is a wonderful thing to witness. Those who witness it for the first time can find it awkward. Those who witness same sex affection for the first time can find it awkward, too. Some will grow accustomed to it, some will only grow tolerant. And if they do not do either, that's really the only time to be concerned.

I haven't heard any reports, personally, myself of any place in the triangle that are so intolerant that it becomes news. However, it's always a good measure to run a search on positive and negative reports regarding a place of relocation. In extreme cases, it's not bad to contact the local police department either for crimes committed by the extremely intolerant.

Cary has a lot of wonderful options with regard to personal lifestyle (i.e. good neighborhoods, shopping, entertainment, etc.). It's not for everyone, of course.

We live in Durham. And though I clash with a lot of political opinions here, I think Durham has the potential to become the most eclectic city in the triangle, what with it's diversity and passion community members. I haven't heard of any intolerance, or awkwardness, here either.

Ultimately, pay a visit and stay a while. Find the places you like to hang out and act normally (when I say normal, I mean just that... don't behave any way that you would not normally behave). If you find that you feel awkward hanging out in a city you choose to relocate, then maybe that city is not for you. Then, try another until the fit is right.

Good luck and happy travels!

Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
I live in Cary and would welcome you as a neighbor! While I agree that Durham and Chapel Hill currently have a larger gay population, I think you'd also be welcomed in Cary.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,839 times
I live in Cary, you can move next door to us. If you could help us pick out some paint colors for the twin's room that would be greatly appreciated (stereotype, I know).

I think it's hard to generalize how accepting areas would be and how that relates to your happiness. As you know, there's always "one of those people" who will look at you oddly or pull their children a little closer to them. I don't think you'll ever escape that. Are you looking for 50% of the population to be OK with your lifestyle? 75%? 90%? I'm afraid I can't help much. But if you search this board, this has been asked before, and many people have said they have never encountered a problem in the triangle area - but i don't know what the definition of "problem" is. Strange looks, verbal attacks, physical attacks?

However, more "liberal" areas like Carborro/Chapel Hill and "transplant" areas like Cary may appeal to you. What are you looking for in an area? Safe, good schools, clean, quiet? Cary fits that bill. An area with a more charming downtown-like area - cafe's, shops, etc.? Then Carborro/CH might suit you.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Cary now has a gay bar:

Icon Nightclub
300 E Durham Rd.
Cary, NC
No way! That place keeps changing every few years! First it was the Depot, then Chubby's and now Icon. Cool!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,246 times
Well, I'm in Cary and I don't want to see that lifestyle or behavior. I would never be mean about it, but there are still people who find homosexuality offensive and it's not just the old ladies. I would not appreciate it if you and your boyfriend were walking around my neighborhood holding hands and I would not want my son to see it. What you do in your home is your business, but what happens out on the street becomes public discourse and I would prefer not to have that in my neighborhood.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
Well, I'm in Cary and I don't want to see that lifestyle or behavior. I would never be mean about it, but there are still people who find homosexuality offensive and it's not just the old ladies. I would not appreciate it if you and your boyfriend were walking around my neighborhood holding hands and I would not want my son to see it. What you do in your home is your business, but what happens out on the street becomes public discourse and I would prefer not to have that in my neighborhood.

Do you walk around in public holding the hand of someone of the opposite sex? Do you kiss your spouse/ partner in public? There are some people who even find this offensive. This is public discourse too.

I personally prefer to have folks in my neighborhood who don't find love offensive. But that's me.

FWIW, OP, I live in So. Durham .... the burbs... near Southpoint. While I think there are more GLBT folks closer to Duke and downtown there are few out here in the burbs too. I think you said that you would be working at RTP. So Durham is close to RTP.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

Do you walk around in public holding the hand of someone of the opposite sex? Do you kiss your spouse/ partner in public? There are some people who even find this offensive. This is public discourse too.

I personally prefer to have folks in my neighborhood who don't find love offensive. But that's me.

FWIW, OP, I live in So. Durham .... the burbs... near Southpoint. While I think there are more GLBT folks closer to Duke and downtown there are few out here in the burbs too. I think you said that you would be working at RTP. So Durham is close to RTP.

Good luck!
I would give you a rep point for this, if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary