Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:46 PM

32 posts, read 138,581 times

Advertisements

Wakefield is very safe. The implication that being poor equates with murderous behavior perpetuates the hysteria. I think random violence occurs throughout the triangle but it is a comment on the growth of this metropolitan area as a whole not because we offer affordable housing. The anger of our youth is not completely gang related just ask the families of Columbine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
The teens did not live in section 8 housing. One lives in the Manor section of Heritage Wake Forest where the homes start at $700K. The other lives in another subdivision in Wake Forest where houses sell currently for $300-600K.

I don't know what part these teens played in this horrific crime however I still think it is outrageous that a father would involve his son in this! I can understand that people want all involved to get the max penalty for this.....but until we know the details of the teens involvement I wish people could just refrain from calling them thugs, etc.! Remember it was the father that allegedly went up to the box office and demanded money and then shot the guy. I still have to believe that this child (and yes I say child even though he is 18) had to have felt threatened by this so called parent! What kind of life did this kid live behind closed doors with a scum bag like Bimbo! If he did it under duress...yes...he could have called authorities but then it would have been his word against his fathers and he has to live with this guy! We don't know if he feared for his safety and/or his mothers and sisters safety. Now...if these kids participated on their own free will...then they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent! And if that's the case my faith in this world we live and bring our children up in has been destroyed! Too much has happened lately with the teens around here and it is hard to see your children be witness to things and have friends that could do unimaginable things!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,410 times
The manager at the theater is my brother-in -law's brother. Mark, like the rest of his family was quiet and gentle. I don't know if he "didn't give him" the money. I think the police that called his family, hundreds of miles away in the middle of the night, said he was closing up and had no money there. I doubt he had much time to think about being a hero or worrying over the theater's money, or even anyone else's life, when that gun was fired. Now he is gone, and his family here in Minnesota is angered and confused. Yet this morning in church, we asked God to help us figure it out. I don't know much about the Raleigh area- I am sure there are many good people and some not so good. But i doubt I would blame the victim too much. I think offering a prayer for his family would make a little more sense than worrying about where you will see your next movie.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb196 View Post
I think offering a prayer for his family would make a little more sense than worrying about where you will see your next movie.

Agreed. My thoughts go out to his family.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Most of the area is a higher economic level. But I wonder if these thugs live or know someone who does live in the new apartment complex that is almost behind the theater? This new complex is actually located next to Jellybeans and is called Wakefield Hills. This new complex is 100% section 8 gov't assisted housing. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a person who lives there but section 8 housing does bring crime. I know a guy who used to do maintenance there. He's no longer employed there because he got tired of cleaning the gang graffiti off the walls and having gang members threaten him for doing so. He said it's actually a really rough area now. He didn't get fired from there but chose to resign because he didn't feel like it was safe to even work there. I called the office out of curiousity to find out how much it was to live there and how to fill out an application and was told I couldn't even fill out an application unless I showed proof of gov't assistance first. I wonder how that's not discrimination?
Regarding the Wakefield Hill's apartments - I didn't realize they were section 8 housing units - I did know they are touted as "affordable apartments" based on income.. duh I guess that means section 8.

It appears The City of Raleigh is subsidizing what amounts to scattered site public housing thingly disguised as "section 8" apartment housing to mix up the socioeconomics of a area.

"Affordable Housing" is everywhere in Raleigh.. you just have to know where to look....

Last edited by weluvwakeforest; 10-26-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
The teens did not live in section 8 housing. One lives in the Manor section of Heritage Wake Forest where the homes start at $700K. The other lives in another subdivision in Wake Forest where houses sell currently for $300-600K.

I don't know what part these teens played in this horrific crime however I still think it is outrageous that a father would involve his son in this! I can understand that people want all involved to get the max penalty for this.....but until we know the details of the teens involvement I wish people could just refrain from calling them thugs, etc.! Remember it was the father that allegedly went up to the box office and demanded money and then shot the guy. I still have to believe that this child (and yes I say child even though he is 18) had to have felt threatened by this so called parent! What kind of life did this kid live behind closed doors with a scum bag like Bimbo! If he did it under duress...yes...he could have called authorities but then it would have been his word against his fathers and he has to live with this guy! We don't know if he feared for his safety and/or his mothers and sisters safety. Now...if these kids participated on their own free will...then they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent! And if that's the case my faith in this world we live and bring our children up in has been destroyed! Too much has happened lately with the teens around here and it is hard to see your children be witness to things and have friends that could do unimaginable things!
Yes, at least one of the young adults lives in a townhome section in Heritage.

These homes sold from the low 200,000 - upper 200,000 range... not exactly "low income housing."

Also, Bimbo is still at large and is considered ARMED and DANGEROUS.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM

32 posts, read 96,264 times
How do you know the apartments at Wakefield Hills are section 8?
I know they have Senior apartments over there (they are often on low/fixed incomes).
And "Affordable" doesn't alays equal Section 8. Sometimes the apartments have income limits that you must fit in ($26k-$35k for a fam of 1. etc.) and you still pay your OWN rent, meaning no gov't subsidy.

FYI, there is also a trailer park next to Wakefield on the Capital Blvd. service road.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENOF3 View Post
FYI, there is also a trailer park next to Wakefield on the Capital Blvd. service road.
This man who shot the poor manager did not come from low income housing in Raleigh, he didn't come from the trailer park....he owned a home in a nice middle class area in Wake Forest.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENOF3 View Post
How do you know the apartments at Wakefield Hills are section 8?
I know they have Senior apartments over there (they are often on low/fixed incomes).
And "Affordable" doesn't alays equal Section 8. Sometimes the apartments have income limits that you must fit in ($26k-$35k for a fam of 1. etc.) and you still pay your OWN rent, meaning no gov't subsidy.

A previous poster wrote :

"Most of the area is a higher economic level. But I wonder if these thugs live or know someone who does live in the new apartment complex that is almost behind the theater? This new complex is actually located next to Jellybeans and is called Wakefield Hills. This new complex is 100% section 8 gov't assisted housing. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a person who lives there but section 8 housing does bring crime. I know a guy who used to do maintenance there. He's no longer employed there because he got tired of cleaning the gang graffiti off the walls and having gang members threaten him for doing so. He said it's actually a really rough area now. He didn't get fired from there but chose to resign because he didn't feel like it was safe to even work there. I called the office out of curiousity to find out how much it was to live there and how to fill out an application and was told I couldn't even fill out an application unless I showed proof of gov't assistance first. I wonder how that's not discrimination"?

This person claims to know this is section 8 housing, and also said he was told he couldn't fill out an application until he showed proof of government assistance.

I remember seeing advertisements for the apartment complex in the Wake Weekly - they were always referred to "affordable housing" - makes sense somebody (housing authority) makes up the difference to bring actual rent paid to market rate.

I don't think the owners/investors aren't going to rent below market out of the goodness of their hearts..so yes.. I think there is a subsidy involved with the intention being to "mix up the socioeconomics" of an affluent area.

There may be a senior section, but I've know there are kids there - I've seen them getting off the school bus.. guess they could be living with granny...

Again, there is scattered "low income/subsidized housing apartments all over Raleigh".... the individual locations can be found listed on the city of raleigh website.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:34 PM

32 posts, read 96,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
This man who shot the poor manager did not come from low income housing in Raleigh, he didn't come from the trailer park....he owned a home in a nice middle class area in Wake Forest.
My point exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary