Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,087,513 times

Advertisements

The little woman and I just saw W. there the other day and I have absolutely no fear of returning. I’m more intimidated by the price of popcorn than the potential for future criminal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:06 AM

316 posts, read 1,006,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Thats my concern.. when times get tough, crime follows money.
It doesn't take too long at all to get from Mini City to Wakefield - later in the evenings when the traffic is light.
I've never felt we were immune to things.....and we do have crime in the area now.

I feel very safe in WF and Wakefield....even after this happened.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:13 AM

316 posts, read 1,006,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Not too many of the forums for other cities have folks so willing to post every illegal incident that occurs. Although in this case it is by someone who isn't even from the city mentioned. Trying to make Wake Forest more appealing by running Raleigh down.. me thinks.
This is right across the street from Wake Forest, but all of Wakefield has a Raleigh address. That happened because at the time Wake Forest felt they couldn't handle the infrastructure that Wakefield that would require.

That is the only reason why this cinema is in 'Raleigh' rather then 'Wake Forest'.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
There's more crime here than L.A.? Are you serious? I hope that's not what you're insinuating. Raleigh has a fairly low crime rate. Our city gov't and police department, does an excellent job when handling crime.
Why insinuate when one can be direct? I hear more about it here than I did there. Actuality may be different (much bigger population cumulatively, more people presumably to commit crime by and against), but this is what I was 'hearing' first hand from several sources when I was living full-time in the Los Angeles area.

However, only those who have lived a long time in Los Angeles know that the city of Los Angeles makes up only a small part of, what we reference as, Los Angeles. It's made up of numerous cities (Raleighs, Durhams, and Cary's) that all have their own central government and all manage crime in different ways. It's actually quite interesting to see firsthand the many different political structures working so closely by each other.

So when I say I 'hear' about it more than I did there... I mean exactly that. Not just from the media, but from regular folks like us. Listservs. Blogs. Etc. Depending on what city one lives, a person will hear more or less depending on where they live.

I lived in many parts of Los Angeles. Some weren't all that great, but most were pretty sane. However, since living here for two years, we've already experienced first hand gun fire in our direction and our car broken into. It's merely the luck of the draw and could have happened anywhere, really.

Now, when it comes to law enforcement, I think our law enforcement is terrific (Durham I have experienced the most but I have positive encounters with Raleigh's as well). The police department is not really ever the source of the problem... they're just constrained by the rules the community sets forth. If anything, the community is what sets the agenda for any rash of crimes. If it doesn't get involved and turns a blind eye, crime will often proliferate if the opportunities for it exist.

In all fairness, I am more in tune with crime that goes on in Durham than in Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest or Wake County, in general (as many of you are in your own area). And I've already seen instances where the police department here in Durham has met community opposition to police initiatives (safety security cameras in high profile areas, for example). However, I do hear about a lot of unreported crimes as well as the reported ones on the many different communication outlets I subscribe. It's not any particular individual's fault, but as a community, we must do more, at least in Durham, to ward off crime and support our police department in doing so (unfortunately, there's even a Facebook group with over a hundred members entitled "F**k the Durham Police Department"). I have never thought Durham unique in this position where the community and its fiscal resources could not be allocated in favoring safety, security and law enforcement (and this, I don't mean more red light cameras but actual crime against society prevention and enforcement).

I think we'll be seeing more petty and armed crimes during this financial crisis we're experiencing. Crime prevention and police support is something I strongly advocate investing in for any of the triangle cities. Some manage it here, too, better than others. However, when it comes down to crime, I do hear about it more now than I did when I live in the L.A. area... the difference being that the crime I hear about just seems a lot closer to me regionally.

Anyway, I'll throw up some numbers from the last city I owned property(Pasadena) so that you can have a bit of perspective where my perspectives comes. Pasadena is probably one of the more well known in the Los Angeles region that people might recognize (i.e. Tournament of Roses Parade).

Actual Reported Population and Crimes (2006 Figures):
1. 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Pasadena, CA
Murder: 7.6
Forcible Rape: 13.1
Robbery: 170.3
Aggravated Assault: 230.3
Burglary: 615.1
Larceny Theft: 2067.2
Vehicle Theft: 350.3
Actual Reported Population and Crimes:
Pasadena, CA
Population: 145,025
Murder: 11
Forcible Rape: 19
Robbery: 247
Aggravated Assault: 334
Burglary: 892
Larceny Theft: 2998
Vehicle Theft: 508

2. 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Raleigh, NC
Murder: 5.5
Forcible Rape: 27.85
Robbery: 224.5
Aggravated Assault: 380.4
Burglary: 854.9
Larceny Theft: 2487.8
Vehicle Theft: 288.8
Raleigh, NC
Population: 348,345
Murder: 19
Forcible Rape: 97
Robbery: 782
Aggravated Assault: 1325
Burglary: 2978
Larceny Theft: 8666
Vehicle Theft: 1006

3. 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Durham, NC
Murder: 6.2
Forcible Rape: 46.91
Robbery: 467.6
Aggravated Assault: 415.9
Burglary: 1482.8
Larceny Theft: 3645.7
Vehicle Theft: 550.9
Durham, NC
Population: 208,932
Murder: 13
Forcible Rape: 98
Robbery: 977
Aggravated Assault: 869
Burglary: 3098
Larceny Theft: 7617
Vehicle Theft: 1151

4. 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Los Angeles, CA
Murder: 12.4
Forcible Rape: 27.3
Robbery: 370
Aggravated Assault: 377.2
Burglary: 524.8
Larceny Theft: 1539.2
Vehicle Theft: 654.4

Los Angeles, CA
Population: 3,879,455
Murder: 480
Forcible Rape: 1,059
Robbery: 14,353
Aggravated Assault: 14,634
Burglary: 20,359
Larceny Theft: 59,711
Vehicle Theft: 25,389

Notes:
  • Formula used for chart: ((Crimes Reported) / (Population)) X 100,000)
  • Chart shown is a statistical comparison of the crime rates per 100,000 people.
  • A blank value in the above data means there is no available data for that crime.
  • Based on the final 2006 FBI Crime Statistics.
  • National arson statistics are not available. Therefore, no arson statistics are used in a comparative manner.
  • Crime rate results are tabulated using the crime collection area population of each city.
  • Crime collection population may not match US Census data. Population is based on the agencies participating in the reporting.
  • 2007 crime stats will be available October 2008.
This is not to say that I'm gonna tell people to 'love it or leave it' when it comes to someone's dissatisfaction. I'm more of a love it but fix what's wrong sort of person. Everyone has a right to an opinion since we are all unique bringing with us our own unique experiences. Some cities are safer than others... but none here in the triangle is immune from improvement.

Lastly, it's a sad state of affairs when a thug like this becomes so desperate and inhumane that human lives can be destroyed for the sake of a few bucks. I wish upon this thug the worst punishment imaginable and the best recovery for the manager, the employees and for those who became collateral witnesses to such horror.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:12 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
This is right across the street from Wake Forest, but all of Wakefield has a Raleigh address. That happened because at the time Wake Forest felt they couldn't handle the infrastructure that Wakefield that would require.

That is the only reason why this cinema is in 'Raleigh' rather then 'Wake Forest'.
Yes, Wakefield is a Raleigh address surrounded by Wake Forest. My thinking is WF police were the first responders, quickly followed by Raleigh police due to the incident being in their jurisdiction.

All I can think is how even more incident people may have been involved - what if somebody came out for some popcorn or a drink before the lobby theatres (there are 12) was secured?

Still no news on the victim - I hope he is going to be okay.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I think the odds of many people having concealed firearms in that theatre would be very low. Often times in these cases, it's just one person who is ready and willing to use their firearm, usually at close range and trained enough to avoid situations where innocents are hurt/killed. Also, consider the perp's thought process. Assuming he wasn't insane, might they think that "robbing someone isn't worth risking my life over"?
There was some kind of incident at the BlockBuster @ Wakefield 3 weekends ago - but earlier in the evening. My daughter and her friends saw many police cars parked in front around 8:00 around Block Buster and they heard there was a fight - I do not know for sure if this was the case. I had forgotten all about it - quite honestly I didn't really give the whole incident - whatever it was - too much thought. However, my daughter mentioned it on the way home last night. She also said she didn't feel comfortable in the Wakefield McDonalds last Friday night after the WFR vs. Wakefield game.. again I just brushed it off.... I guess we all need to be more careful of our surroundings at all times..

Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 PM

31 posts, read 103,427 times
I'm from a small town in New England and I'm just not used to hearing about things like this happening where I live. It really is an eye opener. I just worry about the kids. I have two middle schoolers. On occasion my oldest has met his friends at that theater on a Friday night and I would pick him up immediately after the movie. First it was the mall incident (which I know is completely different) and now this. As if I don't worry enough already.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:40 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,395 times
Default reply

The Bull City really represents well on those 2006 crime stats. It is what it is.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,056 times
You will find crime everywhere and you dont always hear about it. I ready more about crime on this forum than I did about the town I used to live in of 55,000 people. I know there was crime there of all kinds because the police activity was listed in the local paper. You may have 2 or 3 incidents happen in a short period of time in a certain area and then have nothing happen in that same area for a long time. You just have to always be aware of your surroundings. Use your common sense. Teach your children the same thing. Dont walk outside after dark by yourself. Stay in well lit areas. Be aware. The mall incident was an isolated thing. I go to that mall all the time and feel safe, at the same time I am looking around and being aware of what is going on. Common sense.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl24 View Post
I'm from a small town in New England and I'm just not used to hearing about things like this happening where I live. It really is an eye opener. I just worry about the kids. I have two middle schoolers. On occasion my oldest has met his friends at that theater on a Friday night and I would pick him up immediately after the movie. First it was the mall incident (which I know is completely different) and now this. As if I don't worry enough already.
Be aware sometimes the kids will go in - buy a ticket - then leave after the parents are gone... ... more so with later middle/early high schoolers vs 6th and 7th graders. My daughter told me about this... I was starting to get suspicious when they wanted to go see ANY movie EVERY weekend.. However, even that got old - how fun is it to walk around Kroger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary