Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM

245 posts, read 809,585 times

Advertisements

Hello!

*DO NOT OPEN DOOR TO PEOPLE FITTING DESCRIPTION BELOW**

There was an earlier post regarding an unpleasant encounter with men canvassing neighborhoods on behalf of Malachi House.

Malachi House appears to be a legitimate nonprofit associated with the Guilford County Substance Abuse Coalition. Here is the website: Guilford County Substance Abuse Coalition - building a continuum of care in Guilford County

Last weekend a group of men wearing khakis and maroon polo shirts with a Malachi House logo were dispatched to my street. I took a pamphlet and said I would look at it. It seemed odd to me that addicts (recovering or otherwise) would be sent out to canvass for donations.

Lo and behold, I contacted the Coalition and was told in no uncertain terms that they NEVER would send people out door-to-door to solicit donations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,963 times
Where did you see these "solicitors"? We've had a rash of problems in my apartment/townhouse complex recently, and have been notified by the property management company to not open the door for any solicitors.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:21 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,429,856 times
ceili - great piece of investigative work! Thanks for your diligence and trying to help keep us safe.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM

I live in Park Village off of Davis Drive in Cary. This happened last weekend. I'm betting that their m.o. is to swarm an area for one day, and then disappear. I would LOVE to hear if they turn up in another part of the Triangle this weekend. At the very least, I'm sure they want to recoup the costs of embroidery on their shirts, etc!!!

Seems so odd to me, I mean, you're breaking the law either way, so why not just smash a window and grab some goodies? Going through this type of charade seems ridiculous.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:27 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,310,733 times
Has anyone notified the media? That would be the best way to get the word out.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Ugh, no.

I thought nothing of my encounter at the time. It was only when I read another post on here about someone having a dramatic encounter with them (they leered at his wife or something) that it even crossed my mind to look into it.

If anyone encounters them this weekend, please post. If they're still around I will be happy to call WRAL or something. I just wasn't concerned b/c they were very non-threatening in my neighborhood and had no luck getting money on my street.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:18 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,852 times
A couple weeks ago a young man was in our neighborhood selling homework helpers for kids...books, videos and such. He used such obvious psychological tactics I was ready to bite his head off. I think it utterly rude to ring MY doorbell and sell to me. So we don't buy from anyone selling to us at our front door, especially someone who tosses our neighbors names around and then tries to pull more neighbor's names/kids' names from us.

Thanks for the info on this scam....I'll be sure to inform our neighbors here!
Lauren

Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,495 times
The Coalition would never send anyone out to solicit, however Malachi House is under the Coalition's heading but is not the coalition in its entirety. You want to be cautious of solicitors but just because someone knocks on your door DOES NOT mean they are up to no good. This particular group is an awesome organization that is very worthy of contributions. You merely have to dial the phone number on the pamphlet to find out it's legitimacy.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,922,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl76 View Post
The Coalition would never send anyone out to solicit, however Malachi House is under the Coalition's heading but is not the coalition in its entirety. You want to be cautious of solicitors but just because someone knocks on your door DOES NOT mean they are up to no good. This particular group is an awesome organization that is very worthy of contributions. You merely have to dial the phone number on the pamphlet to find out it's legitimacy.
This person sent me a DM warning me about naming names. Well, I'm naming names because THAT IS WHO CAME TO MY DOOR AND DID NOT ACT IN A CIVIL MANOR!

I'm sorry, but door to door soliciting is out these days. We have had numerous incidents in the Cary area involving this sort of activity. Legitimate or not, a large adult male pounding on people's door asking for a handout, no matter what the premise is, is WRONG! Does the term "get a job ring a bell." If they come by my home again, I assure you there WILL be a problem! Legitimate or not! People are fed up with this sort of activity. Who wants people pounding on their door on weekly basis?

They do not respect "no soliciting neighborhhods or door signs either.

The first incident involved a single individual in a piece of crap car whom sped away. He would not leave my front door and porch when my wife opened the door. And in fact, stepped forward towards my wife, intimidating her. A week later some idiot came through our neighborhood and was dropped off alone by a mini-van. He went through here and then sat out on the street for 5 hours by himself as it seemed his "friends" must have forgotten about him. A cop showed up and this individual freaked when he saw the cop pulling over, assuming it was for him and proceeded to hide in the bushes behind my home. Weather these people are related to Mulchi house or not does not matter to me at this point. I don't want beggars coming to my Freakin door! Period! And I honestly could careless about adult males begging for handouts because they had a past criminal and drug problem. Go away and leave me alone is my attitude! I don't want these people coming through my neighborhood and certainly not coming to my door.

Boys scouts and Girls Scouts, fine, come by, but not some drug adict leaving me to decide if they are legitimate or not. Not my problem!

You can tell Mulchi house, we are all sick of it and to stop the damn door to door stuff. I personally think a few of them are going out on their own hoping to make some money, thus using their uniforms and brochure handouts.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 AM

22 posts, read 64,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post

Boys scouts and Girls Scouts, fine, come by, but not some drug adict leaving me to decide if they are legitimate or not. Not my problem!
Hypocrite and a bigot all wrapped up in one eh?

Or does your sign actually say "no soliciting unless your parent drives you to the door"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary