Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times

Advertisements

We have the signs and enforce them.

Even Jehova's Witnesses have been asked to leave when they ignored the signs and bothered residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 10:56 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybiscuit View Post
Hypocrite and a bigot all wrapped up in one eh?

Or does your sign actually say "no soliciting unless your parent drives you to the door"?
Hmm, let me think. Little girl or boy selling cookies, or some dude 6'2" poorly dressed, stepping up into my door into my 5'3"" wife's face after she asks him to leave, politely. Another "dude" hiding in the bushes behind my home when the cops come by. hmmm, That is a hard decision to make.

Bigot? Does that even warrant a response? Before you stereotype, perhaps you should read my pasts posts on ethnicity related topics. Sherrif Bizzell might be a good place to start.

And yes, if these people come by my home under any pretense, there is likely going to be a problem. Mulchi house denied they were soliciting in my neighborhood to myself and another poster here. We both confirmed this. So either Mulchi is telling fibs, or those who came by are scam artists and possibly thugs. One of the two is absolute!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 PM

245 posts, read 809,133 times
Default Malachi

I also received a private message admonishing me for criticizing the Malachi House soliciters on the basis of "mere speculation."

I am 100% behind addicts and other troubled people getting the help they need. Supporters of this organization might want to tell them to take their show to a more appropriate forum, say, churches or other community groups where they can explain what the organization does and then solicit donations.

Personally, I have no problem with door-to-door solicitations... as Nancy says, you "just say no." I find it VERY ODD that any organization would send recovering addicts holding pictures of "gang members" in their clipboard (this was part of their sales pitch) out to the suburbs to get cash and check contributions.

Supporter of Malachi House, you might want to share these points with them. I am ALL for any worthy non-profit getting the support it needs (especially in these economic times!) If you have a web site and/or contact person that I could talk to, feel free to PM me, I'll look into it and be happy to post something positive about the organization.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,131 times
Default We Understand

I am a student at Malachi House who actually participates in the Walk-A-Thon. I happened to stumble upon this blog by chance. It really depresses me. Not because of the comments... I agree with most of them. My problem is that I believe so much in Malachi House and it is a crying shame that people will abuse our name and have their own walk-a-thon. We are truly a great organization. Conversations such as thugs and violence should never take place during our visit... for that I personally apologize. 2009 is going to be a great year for us and hopefully the walk-a-thon can diminish. The city of Cary and surrounding areas have been so generous to our cause. If you truly want to give towards our awesome program you can go online at malachihouse.net. I truly and sincerely apologize, people of Wake County.

Thanks for reading,

Malachi Student

Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 AM

158 posts, read 472,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We have the signs and enforce them.

Even Jehova's Witnesses have been asked to leave when they ignored the signs and bothered residents.
As much as I would love to agree with you, unfortunately people who come door to door for 'religion' can not be enforced by an non-soliciting neighborhood/home. Legally they are not selling anything. I live in a non-soliciting neighborhood and to my dismay we are unable to keep bible thumpers out.

So I don't offend anyone, I have nothing against bible thumpers! My only request is please do not step foot on my property if your goal is to save my soul.

Last edited by ahnraleigh; 02-04-2009 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
As much as I would love to agree with you, unfortunately people who come door to door for 'religion' can not be enforced by an non-soliciting neighborhood/home. Legally they are not selling anything. I live in a non-soliciting neighborhood and to my dismay we are unable to keep bible thumpers out.

So I don't offend anyone, I have nothing against bible thumpers! My only request is please do not step foot on my property if your goal is to save my soul.
They are soliciting if they come to doors uninvited even if the solicitation is to attend a church or join a Bible study.

I am a Christian but there is a danger since strangers aren't always who they purport to be. Anyone can carry a Bible.

We ask them to leave. If not, the PD will trespass them making them arrestable upon return.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
aren't you people down there supposed to all have guns?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Lots do.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
I just had someone at my door here in Oxxford Hunt waving a Malachi house brochure - I didn't engage him in conversation as I find all door-to-door solicitation a real intrusion on my privacy. Plus my dogs tend to go crazy when anyone is at the door. I remembered reading something about Malachi house here, so I thought I'd update this thread. If this is a scam it's a real shame - but I don't give money to people who ring my doorbell, no matter what charity they are collecting for.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 PM

95 posts, read 259,688 times
Default RE: Warning ... Malachi House

Here's my experience with a solicitor for the Malachi House: a few years ago one knocked on my door asking for a donation. I explained that I never give money at the door (or over the phone), but if he wanted to leave me information I would look it over, check into the Malachi House, and possibly mail a donation later.

The gentleman was completely fine with this. He never pushed for an immediate donation and asked if he could answer any questions or tell me a little about the group. His sincerity impressed me and I listened for a couple of minutes. He left me with literature, thanked me for my time and interest, and left.

Afterward I checked into the organization and found them to be legitimate. During my investigation I was impressed enough that I sent them a small check.

I've since had 2 - 3 other solicitors from the Malachi house. Each time I've told them that I support them, will send checks directly to the organization, but won't give money at the door. Every time they've politely accepted this, never pressed for an immediate donation, thanked me, and left immediately.

This is just my experience, provided to help others form an opinion. For what it's worth, I've never purchased anything but Girl Scout Cookies from door-to-door salesman. I have no problem saying 'I'm not interested.' But we do set money aside for donations to the American Cancer Society, the United Way, and select others.

IMHO, whenever someone asks for a donation for a worthy cause, ask for information and promise you'll look into their organization. If they're legitimate, they'll accept this. If they press you for an immediate donation, steer clear.

Personally I don't like door-to-door salesman of any type, but my experience with the Malachi house has been fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary