Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 PM

551 posts, read 2,288,845 times

Advertisements

I'm on a team at work to develop some ideas for how the organization can help employees deal with the rising price of gas. We'll be considering the usual ideas - telecommuting, 4-day weeks, ridesharing. We already have all that in a limited way - available for most but not all. I'm looking for some fresh ideas!

What kinds of options does your employer offer? Are they available to everyone, or only select positions/levels? Has your employer offered this for a long time, or were they recently developed in response to the gas price inflation?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 PM

551 posts, read 576,076 times
By letting me keep my job.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,783,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
What kinds of options does your employer offer? Are they available to everyone, or only select positions/levels? Has your employer offered this for a long time, or were they recently developed in response to the gas price inflation?
LOL

Been carpooling with our car since we arrived here in NC. Unfortunately, the job located at a retail store (intentionally left nameless) has not ever nor is anticipated to offer ANY options, alternatives, supplements or financial encouragement whatsoever. The can even avoid split shifts, but still continue to schedule them without any regard to their employees' burden or transportation costs.

Besides, we don't anticipate any offerings nor expect it either. It's just what it is these days.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,945,257 times
I am in sales and my company just bumped up our reimbursement to 58.5 cents per mile. Each market also has the ability to tele-commute one day per week if feasible.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:29 AM

847 posts, read 3,524,746 times
There are some ideas at the Triangle Transit site, too:
GoTriangle.org - Home

(I telecommute, but have been doing so for 8 years.)

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,132,190 times
My company's position has been for many years that alternative workplace options are available to deal with personal issues, including transportation costs. Some of the more popular options are telecommuting and working longer hours in less days.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 AM

18,150 posts, read 15,725,963 times
The best way to deal with the cost of gas is to use less of it. And that = telecommuting as a primary means of cutting back. Fortunately in my job I am able to telecommute 99.999% of the time at this moment, although it could change. But it helps a LOT these days, esp. when my merit increase %s are painfully tiny.

It really comes down to this: does the management of your company TRUST that employees will get the work done when they are not sitting in their appointed veal-fattening cube? If there is TRUST then there can be telecommuting and other alternative work options. If there is no trust then the traditional 'warm-the-chair-and-be-seen' tactics will continue to apply.

So I think that's the first question that every organization needs to ask itself....and be honest about it. Because if mgmt doesn't really trust it's employees to do the work without someone watching over them physically, all the creative ways to save gas aren't going to amount to anything in the long run. (My $.02, which before these inflationary times was a whole $.06). YMMV.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,971,287 times
Telecommuting - we did some of that anyway but now it's being encouraged. It benefits everyone because we have people who fly in and need office space, so it all works out. It makes for happier employees too and makes up for the less than ideal salaries! But in my industry we all have project-based work and we have to get it done regardless of where we are...we'd do it without someone watching over us. Maybe those who are hourly and don't have that situation could do a condensed week with longer hours Mon-Thurs or whatever (if that would work out for them, sometimes it can't with kids).

Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
I like Mayor Meeker's recent comment that folks should live no more than 5 miles from work.

That makes a lot of sense.

Roads should not be built encouraging long commutes.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 AM

100 posts, read 243,129 times
LOL! That's too funny. North Carolina is an at-will state....so anyways, they are choosing to do nothing. Lots of talk for multiple years before gas was even expensive...no action by any employer my wife or I have been a part of to date.

currently
me - The University of North Carolina
wife - North Carolina National Guard

I don't consider rideshare an employer tool to help combat gas prices. That's more of a community thing. Moreover, it is hit n' miss and limited to its effectiveness due to the sprawl. The answer is only 4-day work weeks or allowing for telecommute one or two days a week or every other week. ARE YOU LISTENING?---Nope.

People should learn this early...the government and employers will not help you generally. You need to pull yourself up and make things work. There are ways if we stop the idiocracy. Please, stop the dependence as the next stage is bondage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary