Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Observations about North Carolina/Raleigh, low home prices, low cost of living, friendly polite residents, central location to beaches, mountains, slow paced

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM

74 posts, read 183,968 times

Advertisements

As someone who moved here 6 weeks ago, here are some observations that someone who is looking to move here might appreciate. The housing prices and real estate taxes are the only thing that is less expensive than where I moved from (NY). There is a serious water shortage that you probably should take into consideration. God knows the town forefathers never prepared for this serious a situation. The state of NC is probably one of the top 5 places to live if you like respectful, polite, friendly, charming and helpful people. From the clerk at the supermarket to the person you pass on your walking trail to the person next to you in church. I have applied and interviewed for quite a few jobs for which I am well qualified, however, they have been in no hurry to get back to me. They move a bit slower on things in these parts, which is nice when it comes to certain things, but not my livelihood. Some people drive a little insane here. No directionals, lots of tailgating. There are a lot of traffic accidents for this reason. The state of NC (which I have seen quite a bit of) is one of the most beautiful places in this country. Raleigh is a great location because it is centrally located to all that NC has to offer. Beaches (2 hrs), mountains (4 hrs). So much to see and do. Hope this has been helpful. Oh, one more thing, from what I have observed, this area is extremely diverse, and everyone seems to be treated with equality. If you are a prejudice person , you won't like it here. All IMO.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM

718 posts, read 2,975,307 times
For us coming from NY(Long Island) not only are the home prices alot cheaper and property taxes but, our car insurance is half of what we were paying. Our electric and gas is also alot cheaper. My home is twice the size of my Ny home but it cost the same in electricity including central air. Price of gas (car) is cheaper. The only thing that I found to be more expensive is water.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrl View Post
As someone who moved here 6 weeks ago, here are some observations that someone who is looking to move here might appreciate. The housing prices and real estate taxes are the only thing that is less expensive than where I moved from (NY). There is a serious water shortage that you probably should take into consideration. God knows the town forefathers never prepared for this serious a situation. The state of NC is probably one of the top 5 places to live if you like respectful, polite, friendly, charming and helpful people. From the clerk at the supermarket to the person you pass on your walking trail to the person next to you in church. I have applied and interviewed for quite a few jobs for which I am well qualified, however, they have been in no hurry to get back to me. They move a bit slower on things in these parts, which is nice when it comes to certain things, but not my livelihood. Some people drive a little insane here. No directionals, lots of tailgating. There are a lot of traffic accidents for this reason. The state of NC (which I have seen quite a bit of) is one of the most beautiful places in this country. Raleigh is a great location because it is centrally located to all that NC has to offer. Beaches (2 hrs), mountains (4 hrs). So much to see and do. Hope this has been helpful. Oh, one more thing, from what I have observed, this area is extremely diverse, and everyone seems to be treated with equality. If you are a prejudice person , you won't like it here. All IMO.
Hey. you forgot about the good golfing weather! The most important aspect!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,104,910 times
I've heard groceries are higher. Is it better to shop at Coscos, Sam's or BJ's? How much do you pay for per pound for: (at these places) I usually pay what's in parenthesis when it's on sale.
1) Boneless chicken breast ($1.79)
2) Gound beef ($1.25)
3) Sirloin steak ($2.50)
4) Pork chops ($2.50)
Or is it better to buy these meats somewhere else.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,183,715 times
Harris-Teeter or Fresh Market are decently priced and good quality.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:39 PM

214 posts, read 702,330 times
How do you know if the ones with the bad driving habits are southerners or transplants?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM

161 posts, read 465,055 times
Default Hi Newbie Observation

I have been here 6mths and a friend of mine 5mths and she has not been able to find a job. People are very prejudice telling her "go home Yankee" where you came from. She gets interviews and no offers. The better jobs are for the Southerners and for the Northerners nothing. I found a spot after 5 mths and lost it after one month how great is that. However, I was offered 4 weeks pay in advance and driven home and given a letter of recommendation. I was doing a good job but they are bringing back their previous employee. It's just a lot of stupid political stuff going on and I hate it. I didn't like working there in the first place. The point is I am unemployed. I went to BB & T last week on an interview and I am invited to return next week hopefully. I am looking forward to it it's a good firm. I have some funds to live on but I don't have family or else I would return home to NY. True it's more expensive but I dont plan on buying a house so it doesn't matter to me. I can't afford a house by myself no matter how low the taxes are. Maybe some day if I land a job fast enough and get out of debt but otherwise I don't know. First things first. In any event, these southerners are prejudice. Wish they would get off the boat the civil war is over. They blame transplants for their overcrowded school and their children get moved around a lot and classrooms are in trailors. So they are not happy campers.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,504,263 times
harris teeter had a "sale" yesterday. the ground beef was $4.99 a pound. groceries are very high here!!!! compared to NJ

Old 02-16-2008, 09:18 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,348,424 times
Interesting observations from a 6 week perspective. In 6 months or 6 years they will change again in both directions. Some of the positives will go negative and visa versa. People coming from lower price markets in NY and PA find the housing here to be expensive. Tax are cheaper so we have that going for us. It is all relative to where you are from and who you are.

One thing the area has is a real cross sections of people from California to Florida and Maine and everywhere in between so it is extremely hard to know who is not using their turn signals and who is riding your rear bumper. One certainly knows when the accident occurs and the other driver gets out and start talking in what ever accent they may have and chances are they will have an accent that is easily identifiable.

Reading this forum for sometime now it appears the people that come without jobs have the hardest time adjusting to this new culture. It is an adjustment and that is true whenever or wherever ones moves to IMO. This is not utopia, or at least not any nirvana. There is plenty of competition for the jobs that are out there and move qualified candidates are moving here daily. Lower taxes, good weather, and jobs is luring people here and has for a long time. IMO I don't see that changing anytime soon. As long as that continues housing will hold its value.

Yes we have a water problem at the moment but please tell me what other area in this country has not had a drought at one time or another. Who knows we may run out of water at some point if we don't get rain but not much anyone can do about that at this point. We all pray for rain and conserve. We could always start a new add campaign to invite people to come and make NC your home just bring your own water. But somehow that may not work as they may actually bring water we don't really want.

Anyway, I hope you give NC a little longer before you head back to NY and I hope you find a job soon!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,784,018 times
I'm from CA and echo your sentiments almost to a tee. Though I do see some taxes and insurance being cheaper, I'm paying way more for food here especially since it's taxed. Gas prices are about the same here as they are in CA as well (though this shifts from time to time). However, I thank my lucky stars for moving here since in the 1.5 yrs. of being here, I've mellowed tremendously, especially with respect to driving. Still not used to the tailgating but I'm kewl with everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary