Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Observations about North Carolina/Raleigh, low home prices, low cost of living, friendly polite residents, central location to beaches, mountains, slow paced

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:15 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times

Advertisements

This is all very well said! I can understand where you're coming from because it describes my life in Florida to a T. I'm one of the natives that's being pushed out because of the run-up in prices and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
nanvas, your problem is that you're a "big city girl" who made the mistake of moving to a small city. Do not blame Raleigh or NC for your folly. Moving here without having a job lined up was probably not the smartest thing to do either. (I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but if the grammer and typing in your resume and professional writing samples are anything like your posts here, I'm not surprised that you haven't found a job yet. I hope you've been paying closer attention to such things while job hunting.)

Just a general comment on the "yankee, go home" discussions. You really do have to try to look at it from the perspective of a local. You're living in a lovely little town, paying next to nothing in property taxes. You have a decent job that requires a 15 minute commute. Within 5 years, hoardes of people start moving in from the Northeast and the West Coast. Suddenly, your commute has almost tripled. Your property taxes have gone way up. Your neighborhood is filling up with people who talk funny and complain about how you can't find a decent (choose one: bagel, cheesesteak, pizza). Every living tree is razed so developers can throw up more cookie cutter neighborhoods. Your plan of upsizing from your starter home is getting tougher to achieve because the cost of real estate is now way up.

Not saying that the population boom hasn't been positive in other ways, but this is the reality for many of the folks who've lived in this area for a long time.

And let's face it, some of the people who move to this area really prove to be poor ambassadors for the areas from which they come. For every Southerner complaining about a Yankee, there's at least one Yankee complaining about the South. At the height of the population boom in the 90s, I worked for a company whose workforce was 90% transplanted from Indiana. I never heard so much griping and whining in my life! Nothing here was as good as it was in Indiana; Southerners were slow and stupid; etc. Unfortunately, stuff like that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Most of us Southerners know that you Yankees are just another bunch of people -- some of you are smart, some of you are stupid, some of you are nice, some of you are mean. Hopefully you know that about us too.

But you should still try to see it from our point of view.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
This is all very well said! I can understand where you're coming from because it describes my life in Florida to a T. I'm one of the natives that's being pushed out because of the run-up in prices and so forth.
"Gentrification" is of no benefit to other than the developers and associated "pond scum".

Sometimes I think we need billboards saying "Overpaid yuppies, please stay out of our beautiful county".

Old 02-23-2008, 04:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
"Gentrification" is of no benefit to other than the developers and associated "pond scum".

Sometimes I think we need billboards saying "Overpaid yuppies, please stay out of our beautiful county".
Well, why don't you shell out some dough and put one up yourself? I'm sure you'll get a warm response

Old 02-23-2008, 07:26 AM

161 posts, read 464,524 times
Thanks for your reply. Just for the record. I am not stupid and I don't see how my post should generate insults. I tried looking for a job before I relocated and they won't interview anyone without a job first. I was told often times. If you want a job in Raleigh then move first. Well, I moved. Stil no job and many people have said the same. I never insult southerners or anyone for being slow. There is nothing wrong with slowness it's not stupid, it's just slow. There are plenty of slow people in NY too. Sometimes too slow. As far as property taxes and the cost of houses rising. I am not going to purchase a home therefore it doesn't interest me. Many from NY relocate here and do beautifully but not everyone will an I am one of them. As soon as I am able to relocate to NY. I will do so. Perhaps NC should not make it easy for people to relocate. Accepting renters who are unemployed is a fault of NC. Maybe they should start turning people away if they are unemployed and discontinue to provide so much information on relocating, housing cost, employment and education. The chamber sends out relocating pkgs with loads of information providing incentives for people to relocate. One thing Raleigh did not do is plan well for future growth. That doesn't make them dumb just poor planning. They are growing faster than anticipated. However, hopefully that won't be my problem for long. Sure I made a mistake and that is no fault of anyone but mine. Maybe they should also stop renting to people that are unemployed and you will have a smaller population of people moving.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
***This thread has lost all value. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary