Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Observations about North Carolina/Raleigh, low home prices, low cost of living, friendly polite residents, central location to beaches, mountains, slow paced

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadiaP View Post
Bravo Kristen!!! I was glad to see that it wasnt just me seeing this kind of thing. We're recently moved here and having a hard time. The kids at the Elementary school age seem to be welcoming but my high schooler is having a heck of the time making friends. Its funny cause all the years they were in school back home, if a new kid came in in the middle of the year I would always tell my kids to go out of their way to befriend them and be nice b/c its gotta be hard to move to a new school where you dont know anybody. Seems most the kids here were never told that.
That's one of my fears about moving--my daughter being accepted in school. She started a new school this year (but still in the same area) and doesn't seem like she has very many friends. Even though it's only second grade, some of the kids have been together for the last 1-2 years and have already formed their groups. I'm fearful of that for her, but I think the kids in NC will be different. Rather, crossing my fingers and hoping that's the case.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
That's one of my fears about moving--my daughter being accepted in school. She started a new school this year (but still in the same area) and doesn't seem like she has very many friends. Even though it's only second grade, some of the kids have been together for the last 1-2 years and have already formed their groups. I'm fearful of that for her, but I think the kids in NC will be different. Rather, crossing my fingers and hoping that's the case.
The "good" thing about reassignments is the kids get shuffled around so there are always new kids in class, or so I have heard. Even in year round schools, if the tracks have more than one class, the kids will get mixed up from year to year...........

Leigh

Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
I have been here 6mths and a friend of mine 5mths and she has not been able to find a job. People are very prejudice telling her "go home Yankee" where you came from. She gets interviews and no offers. The better jobs are for the Southerners and for the Northerners nothing.
I hear this a lot, but what if you are a Westerner? Do you get lumped in with the Yankees, or are they pretty accepting of us?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
1) Has anyone EVER heard of a city where outsiders regularly COMPLIMENTED the drivers? Honestly, every single city the outsiders complain about the driving
LOL. I actually have mostly positive things to say about Raleigh drivers. As part of my research, I purposely went out and drove in afternoon rush-hour to see how people behaved on the road. I noticed some quirks, such as failure to use blinkers, but for the most part people were surprisingly nice and polite drivers. I say that from the perspective of someone who has lived in Los Angeles and Portland, OR all her life. I've driven all over the US, and my three least favorite places to drive are Boston, St. Louis and New Orleans.

Anyway, it was interesting that in three out of four of my visits to Raleigh, I was NOT regularly tail-gated; however, in my last visit this October, my rental car happened to have Florida plates. I was tail-gated A LOT, mostly by men in SUVs. It was the last thing I expected, so I wasn't out looking for it. Just thought it was an interesting data point.

In researching cities, I like to get a feel for what my daily life will be like, and driving behavior is part of that.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We longterm Raleigh residents do feel hurt when the yuppies run here and drive prices up by paying rents/mortgages like they had up North or in CA.

It makes it very hard for our kids to find a place to live when so many areas are "gentrifying".
Unfortunately, that's happening in a lot of places.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 PM

90 posts, read 296,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
The "good" thing about reassignments is the kids get shuffled around so there are always new kids in class, or so I have heard. Even in year round schools, if the tracks have more than one class, the kids will get mixed up from year to year...........

Leigh
Definitely agree with this!!

My daughter has met friends from everywhere and her school friends have changed every year (all at the same school - which was one of the mandatory year round switches.)

This area is SOOO diverse - and there are so many fantastic people here. I really think that if a child isn't fitting in somewhere, then the great news is that there is some sort of organization readily available that will be awesome. My own street is like this little snippet of the "new" triangle, it seems. We have families from Texas, California, New Orleans, New Jersey, NY, Virginia, three native NC (and that's just off the top of my head.) They are 3 SAHMs, three nurses, one teacher, one PhD chemist, one heating and AC repairman, three small business owners and a bunch of business people. They range in age from 22-50s. Most are quite educated and solidly middle/working class type people. Most are pretty darn cool, if I do say so myself. And their kids are nice, polite, normal kids for the most part.

That, to me, is the best thing about this area... there are some fantastic people here. I just don't feel the need to qualify where they were born (usually.)

Plus there are the outer banks one way and Blowing Rock/mountains the other - that may actually be the best thing.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM

34 posts, read 102,186 times
[quote=saturnfan;2867908]
I prefer the numerous illegals in my area near New Hope Church Rd to yuppies. The aliens stay to themselves and don't drive up my rent.
QUOTE]

I've noticed that often on this board people talk about "illegals," but really mean "Hispanics."

How do you know that these particular people are illegal? Have you asked any of the local Asian or European immigrants about their immigration status?

This obviously bothers me. My husband is Hispanic and I would be very upset if my children (who are bilingual and bicultural) were treated like second-class citizens by someone who assumes that all Hispanic people are illegal immigrants.

Is this a common attitude in the Triangle, or are a few people on this board making it seem worse than the reality?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:35 PM

64 posts, read 196,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL teacher View Post
QUOTE]

I've noticed that often on this board people talk about "illegals," but really mean "Hispanics."

How do you know that these particular people are illegal? Have you asked any of the local Asian or European immigrants about their immigration status?

This obviously bothers me. My husband is Hispanic and I would be very upset if my children (who are bilingual and bicultural) were treated like second-class citizens by someone who assumes that all Hispanic people are illegal immigrants.

Is this a common attitude in the Triangle, or are a few people on this board making it seem worse than the reality?
The present Mexican immigration is unprecedented, and larger than any other immigration in the past 100 years. They total 30% of the immigration into this country.

Illegal immigration from Mexico is responsible for about 65% of NC's Latino population - estimates run 300,000 - 400,000 (some estimates put the figure over 500,000) illegal aliens living in NC, depending on were you get your information. I got mine from the Pew Hispanic Center.

Illegal immigration is a constant issue in crime and gang violence, education, health care, housing, politics and jobs, so most people are very aware of this issue. Especially in NC where it's resources are feeling the strain of heavy immigration into the state - both legal and illegal.

Arriving in this country undereducated, speaking little to no English, poor job skills, living in poverty ... You would have to be very naive not to recognize the obvious signs of the plight of these people.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
You got it, Debera.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
I do not know if your figure of the percentage of area Latinos who are illegal aliens from Mexico is right or wrong. I am guessing these people do not respond to any census so I question the figures. But even if your figures are correct it means that over a third of area Hispanics are here legally. It is WRONG to assume someone is illegal because he or she is Hispanic, and very hurtful to people like Fla Teacher. I feel very bad for the hurt she and her family must feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary