Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Observations about North Carolina/Raleigh, low home prices, low cost of living, friendly polite residents, central location to beaches, mountains, slow paced

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
Therefore, I am just about ready to go back. I don't know how long it will take but I hope to return.
Last time I drove it was about 9 hours Sorry...couldn't resist. That one was too easy not to take advantage of the opportunity.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'm a native and don't think I've ever even used the word "Yankee" in conversation before. None of my native family or friends have ever brought it up in conversation either, so I really don't know exactly where that comes from.
It comes from ignorance. I can't believe these "natives" say that stuff to anyone. My neighbors just moved here from California and adopted 2 kids from Ethiopia and I never once felt anything ambivolent towards them just because they are different than me. This is America - we are allowed to move and live where ever we choose. Land of freedom and opportunity - or so I thought.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM

74 posts, read 183,814 times
Default Slow response

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
golfgrl - BB&T is slow in their HR process. Depending on the level of job and your comfort level with the interviewer/hiring manager, you might want to shoot an email and ask for an update.
Thank you so much for that info. It makes me feel a little bit better about the possibility that they haven't forgotten about me yet. Hopefully they will at least let me know that they already filled the position and offer me another one. I applied for about 10.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:21 PM

74 posts, read 183,814 times
Default Not the place for you

Quote:
Good for your Caliboy. I am kewl enough to want to return home to NYC. I am not into purchasing a home since I can't afford one no matter what part of the earth I live in. I just should have stood in NY. However, do I get interviews but no offers as of yet. It's just a lot of things I don't like. However, regardless I have to work so I can return to NY. At least in NY there is always something to do people walking around the park, concerts, activities, puppet shows, and it's all free. The museums are beautiful here they are a joke. Therefore, I am just about ready to go back. I don't know how long it will take but I hope to return.
I am from NY too and loved all that NY offered. I was very concerned that there would be nothing to do here. I was wrong. I love my walks around the lake. I have found many great restaurants. I went to a tree lighting in Southpoint which was a blast with a top name rock group entertaining us. I understand in the summer there will be many concerts to attend. They even have Broadway caliber theatre. I only miss the ocean off Long Island. I think this just isn't right for you.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
I have been here 6mths and a friend of mine 5mths and she has not been able to find a job. People are very prejudice telling her "go home Yankee" where you came from. She gets interviews and no offers. The better jobs are for the Southerners and for the Northerners nothing. I found a spot after 5 mths and lost it after one month how great is that. However, I was offered 4 weeks pay in advance and driven home and given a letter of recommendation. I was doing a good job but they are bringing back their previous employee. It's just a lot of stupid political stuff going on and I hate it. I didn't like working there in the first place. The point is I am unemployed. I went to BB & T last week on an interview and I am invited to return next week hopefully. I am looking forward to it it's a good firm. I have some funds to live on but I don't have family or else I would return home to NY. True it's more expensive but I dont plan on buying a house so it doesn't matter to me. I can't afford a house by myself no matter how low the taxes are. Maybe some day if I land a job fast enough and get out of debt but otherwise I don't know. First things first. In any event, these southerners are prejudice. Wish they would get off the boat the civil war is over. They blame transplants for their overcrowded school and their children get moved around a lot and classrooms are in trailors. So they are not happy campers.
We longterm Raleigh residents do feel hurt when the yuppies run here and drive prices up by paying rents/mortgages like they had up North or in CA.

It makes it very hard for our kids to find a place to live when so many areas are "gentrifying".

I prefer the numerous illegals in my area near New Hope Church Rd to yuppies. The aliens stay to themselves and don't drive up my rent.

Perhaps that's some of the resident backlash, not to mention tax increases, overcrowded schools, and road bottlenecks.

Hey, you screw up someone's life, why should they feel great about your coming here.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:25 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We longterm Raleigh residents do feel hurt when the yuppies run here and drive prices up by paying rents/mortgages like they had up North or in CA.
Why do you keep refering to the people who move here from out of state as "yuppies"? I think that you've used that term a few times in the last few days. My understanding is that a "yuppie" is a "Young Urban Professional".

Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Those are the ones that hurt us by driving up prices

Good working people who know what things are worth are most welcome in my book.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:55 PM

161 posts, read 464,616 times
I don't make any negative comments about their state to anyone. It would be inappropriate to do so. Nor do I make comments about NY either. True being polite is always important no matter where we live. However, they are not always the most polite either. I have met plenty of rude southerners in the short time frame I have been here. I have a friend that I met here living in Wake Forest and she is from NJ and having a terrible time and so is her son. He is going back home soon. My friend was two minutes away from home and she accidently forgot to turn on her blinkers and was stopped by the police. Unfortunately, she had several drinks but was not drunk. However, the police smelled liquor breath gave her the booze test and did not pass. She was a notch above the legal amt. whatever that is since I never encountered this problem. She was put in handcuffs taken to the precinct and treated very badly by southerner cops. They told her in NC we know how to drive it's not like NJ where people can't obey laws. Oh my gosh !!! she was humiliated beyond belief and treated like a criminal. She hates NC enough and now this too. She can't drive down here for a while and she has to go to court in one month. They may give her provisional where she can drive during the day just to and from work. This is more of an incentive for her to leave. On interviews a perfectly qualified person can't get a job and employment agencies are of no help. My heart goes out to her. I am not saying it's ok to forget your blinker, or have too many drinks knowing you have to drive but it could not have hurt for the cops to turn on that so called southern charm. She was not rude or loud. She simply followed their orders. Her son picked her up at the precinct and she was able to drive her car. Thank goodness I have not given up my NY drivers license but I am also not driving. I don't know that I want to stay in this state therefore I am not giving up anything until I am sure. This state is better for families, married couples with children. I dont know that it's the best place to live when you are single.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:58 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I'm sorry, but if she was drunk driving, she was being treated like a criminal because she IS ONE. Good for the cop who busted her! ANd it wasn't a "southern cop" thing, they are pretty hard on anyone who drinks and drives. They do not "turn on the charm" for drunk drivers no matter where you come from.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,299 times
Quote:
I don't make any negative comments about their state to anyone. It would be inappropriate to do so. Nor do I make comments about NY either. True being polite is always important no matter where we live. However, they are not always the most polite either. I have met plenty of rude southerners in the short time frame I have been here. I have a friend that I met here living in Wake Forest and she is from NJ and having a terrible time and so is her son. He is going back home soon. My friend was two minutes away from home and she accidently forgot to turn on her blinkers and was stopped by the police. Unfortunately, she had several drinks but was not drunk. However, the police smelled liquor breath gave her the booze test and did not pass. She was a notch above the legal amt. whatever that is since I never encountered this problem. She was put in handcuffs taken to the precinct and treated very badly by southerner cops. They told her in NC we know how to drive it's not like NJ where people can't obey laws. Oh my gosh !!! she was humiliated beyond belief and treated like a criminal. She hates NC enough and now this too. She can't drive down here for a while and she has to go to court in one month. They may give her provisional where she can drive during the day just to and from work. This is more of an incentive for her to leave. On interviews a perfectly qualified person can't get a job and employment agencies are of no help. My heart goes out to her. I am not saying it's ok to forget your blinker, or have too many drinks knowing you have to drive but it could not have hurt for the cops to turn on that so called southern charm. She was not rude or loud. She simply followed their orders. Her son picked her up at the precinct and she was able to drive her car. Thank goodness I have not given up my NY drivers license but I am also not driving. I don't know that I want to stay in this state therefore I am not giving up anything until I am sure. This state is better for families, married couples with children. I dont know that it's the best place to live when you are single.
W/E, W/E, W/E.
I'm glad to see the police were doing their job ! If you are above the legal limit you are just that.. above the legal limit. BUSTED. So what if she was two minutes away from home? Treated badly by southern cops, OMG I can't stop laughing. She obviously was over the limit (per your post) and was driving while impaired. I have a feeling she was rude and disrespectful to the officer, hence the hand cuffs. Again, just my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary