Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM

628 posts, read 819,719 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Portland Oregon and having a terrible time finding a better career level paying job (which is widely known an employers/loose labor market). I even applied a number of times in the Seattle market with no luck either. I hold advanced degrees in business and computer science. What is the job market like there? I have friends and family not far from the region, and it's more of an area that seems aligned to my lifestyle. The weather in the Northwest is about 8 months of overcast rain vs much more seasonal and sunny days I've experienced living in the southern parts of the United States.

Last edited by harrishawke; 03-15-2016 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 01:29 PM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I currently live in Portland Oregon and having a terrible time finding a better career level paying job (which is widely known an employers/loose labor market). I even applied a number of times in the Seattle market with no luck either. I hold advanced degrees in business and computer science. What is the job market like there? I have friends and family not far from the region, and it's more of an area that seems aligned to my lifestyle. The weather in the Northwest is about 8 months of overcast rain vs much more seasonal and sunny days I've experienced living in the southern parts of the United States.
Contact a recruiter and see if there's any interest in what you have to offer. That's about the easiest way.

We can tell you what it's like to look for a job HERE as a local, but the reality for a person from the other side of the country may be quite different.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:40 PM

514 posts, read 602,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Contact a recruiter and see if there's any interest in what you have to offer. That's about the easiest way.

We can tell you what it's like to look for a job HERE as a local, but the reality for a person from the other side of the country may be quite different.
Even as a local, the word "competitive" comes to mind. Employers have plenty of (over-)qualified candidates from which to choose. That does not help increase wages.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:21 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,312,371 times
You would do well to heed the above two posters; layoffs with IBM will only increase the competition I'm afraid. The job market is pretty sluggish throughout the country. What's worse is that most of the presidential potentials favor expanding the Visa work program to push more American workers out of jobs.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,395 times
This is a right to work for less state.

People are running here like lemmings thinking the streets are paved in gold.

The cost of living may be lower than some other areas, but many services and items are not a great bargain.

You may luck out if your skill set is in demand. Otherwise, you may find low pay band a very poor safety net.

Follow the advice you were given and try a recruiter.

Good luck.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:35 AM

Anyone know of any good recruiting agencies in the area? The experience I've had with recruiters has never been great. It's usually people trying to peddle temp or contract jobs that no one really wants because they don't have job security or benefits.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 PM

252 posts, read 276,088 times
Quote:
See my post #34, I believe the job market is as competitive as you'll find.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...l#post40704287

Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 PM

Interesting, but I can't imagine it would eclipse technology talent from Silicon Valley. I mean 'Research Triangle' isn't even a household name yet. Yes UNC and all those other schools are good, but the Bay Area great schools as well. They recruit talent from UC Berkeley, Stanford, Cal Tech, MIT and other tech feeders.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:47 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
My job is in the Triangle is very good and pays well. I guess that it depends on your skill set? If you have the skills people want, you'll have a good job. I know that that sounds overly simplistic.
While there will always be naysayers who will poop all over anyone trying to figure out if they can make a good life for themselves in the Triangle, the stats don't necessarily support their negative replies. For example, Wake County (Raleigh) has the state's highest household incomes and is nearly on par with being the most populated in the state with a million+ people. That's nothing to sneeze at. The costs of living in the Triangle are low compared to the average salaries and professional people typically live quite well. So, should one have the right skill set and find the right job, the life is typically quite good. If you don't have the skill sets for the higher paying jobs, then it's probably a completely other story. All one can do is test the water for oneself. Lots and lots of people have come to the Triangle with great success but that doesn't mean that it's guaranteed.
Good luck.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Interesting, but I can't imagine it would eclipse technology talent from Silicon Valley. I mean 'Research Triangle' isn't even a household name yet. Yes UNC and all those other schools are good, but the Bay Area great schools as well. They recruit talent from UC Berkeley, Stanford, Cal Tech, MIT and other tech feeders.
And...plenty of people relocate here by transferring from company locations in the Bay Area to offices here.

You have heard of this place, so why would you think others have not?

You are correct in your assumption that the companies here want top talent, but you are incorrect in assuming that a student from UC Berkeley will automatically outshine the Comp Sci student from NCSU who likely did an internship or co-op with an RTP corporation and is already local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary