Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:30 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
My job is in the Triangle is very good and pays well. I guess that it depends on your skill set? If you have the skills people want, you'll have a good job. I know that that sounds overly simplistic.
While there will always be naysayers who will poop all over anyone trying to figure out if they can make a good life for themselves in the Triangle, the stats don't necessarily support their negative replies. For example, Wake County (Raleigh) has the state's highest household incomes and is nearly on par with being the most populated in the state with a million+ people. That's nothing to sneeze at. The costs of living in the Triangle are low compared to the average salaries and professional people typically live quite well. So, should one have the right skill set and find the right job, the life is typically quite good. If you don't have the skill sets for the higher paying jobs, then it's probably a completely other story. All one can do is test the water for oneself. Lots and lots of people have come to the Triangle with great success but that doesn't mean that it's guaranteed.
Good luck.
I don't think anyone is saying that the OP (or anybody else, for that matter) cannot find a good job here.

It's more like "it depends on what one expects and how quickly and easily one expects to find it."

Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 AM

225 posts, read 217,424 times
Since my 2011 layoff after 15 years, I am still looking for a living wage, permanently job to become a career. It is hard. I got degrees, but not the experience people all want or the memory capacity of Data (Star Trek reference).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 11:44 AM

164 posts, read 287,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And...plenty of people relocate here by transferring from company locations in the Bay Area to offices here.

You have heard of this place, so why would you think others have not?

You are correct in your assumption that the companies here want top talent, but you are incorrect in assuming that a student from UC Berkeley will automatically outshine the Comp Sci student from NCSU who likely did an internship or co-op with an RTP corporation and is already local.
^ This.

And without knowing your exact specialty, my two cents are that many advanced computer science degree's are looked upon as pretty pieces of very expensive paper to several employers in the current IT market.. Could your latest work history possibly be speaking more than your current degrees? If you aren't having any recent luck in the Seattle area, (and we moved from there to here in NC) I personally wouldn't pull a move to this area without having something solid in place beforehand.

Is the job market here ok? For us it's a definite yes, and a yes. My husband also has a niche that is hard to come by (especially for the area) and still gets the cold recruiter calls/messages from rando companies back in Seattle, so IMO, the jobs are certainly existing in the PNW.. Something to also keep in mind, there's a number of recent layoffs from some of the local companies out here such as IBM, and I've heard a few whispered numbers from over at NetApp too, so it's difficult to give a general 'the job market here will work wonders for you' answer.

You might have to 'stick it out' with a particular company, and climb the pay scale/position ladder the tedious way, then move on to greener pastures. I truly don't say that to be a negative jerk, but just what I've personally seen work out for the better in the long run with some of the top, high paying companies. And, network like a mofo.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:59 PM

628 posts, read 821,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
My job is in the Triangle is very good and pays well. I guess that it depends on your skill set? If you have the skills people want, you'll have a good job.
Sounds very unlike Portland area. Over here it's more about "Who you know". They often have over 500 external applicants applying for one position that ends up going to either an internal candidate or a friend of a friend.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:53 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,516,559 times
Quote:
And...plenty of people relocate here by transferring from company locations in the Bay Area to offices here.

You have heard of this place, so why would you think others have not?

You are correct in your assumption that the companies here want top talent, but you are incorrect in assuming that a student from UC Berkeley will automatically outshine the Comp Sci student from NCSU who likely did an internship or co-op with an RTP corporation and is already local.
I've often wondered how well known "The Triangle" or "Research Triangle Park" is among people from out of the area. I hear a lot about it here that's for sure, but it seems that's about it. When I lived in Fayetteville and told people I got a job in RTP, very very many of them had no idea where that was. I remember when I first moved here and got lost in Cary, asked a Walmart cashier how to get to RTP from here and she said what? where? didn't know! I visited relatives and friends in Little Rock last month and asked most of them if they've ever heard of a place called Research Triangle Park and they all said no, then I asked "If I referred to "The Triangle" in North Carolina do you know which 3 cities make it up?" and only one person knew.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 PM

22,700 posts, read 36,889,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I've often wondered how well known "The Triangle" or "Research Triangle Park" is among people from out of the area. I hear a lot about it here that's for sure, but it seems that's about it. When I lived in Fayetteville and told people I got a job in RTP, very very many of them had no idea where that was. I remember when I first moved here and got lost in Cary, asked a Walmart cashier how to get to RTP from here and she said what? where? didn't know! I visited relatives and friends in Little Rock last month and asked most of them if they've ever heard of a place called Research Triangle Park and they all said no, then I asked "If I referred to "The Triangle" in North Carolina do you know which 3 cities make it up?" and only one person knew.
We moved here from NY and the first time we came to visit we went to a Bulls game. Of course we saw the signs for RTP. I had heard of it, just didn't realize it was here, if that makes sense. I have friends and neighbors that moved here 20 or more years ago to work at RTP.

I would not have heard of "the Triangle" as a term though.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
The only folks in Fayetteville who would have heard of it are people who want to work in tech, and most of them have already moved here.

Ditto Walmart cashiers, many of whom may not be locals themselves. You might get quite a few that could not tell you where Silicon Valley is, either. SV is far larger than RTP, so you would naturally be able to find more people in NorCal who could tell you where SV was located, as you might well be standing in it.

As for Little Rock.... were these people who were in IT fields? I think people in IT know what RTP is, but I doubt many others would off the top of their heads. Lots of people have heard of SV, but it has been featured in more movies, documentaries, etc.

That pretty much explains that.

The Triangle is tricky because this area has slowly become better known. It's like people who may know where you'd find Minneapolis and St. Paul, but did not realize they are often referred to as the "Twin Cities."

Depends on how well-traveled a person is, really.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Sounds very unlike Portland area. Over here it's more about "Who you know". They often have over 500 external applicants applying for one position that ends up going to either an internal candidate or a friend of a friend.
We have that here, too. It's hell to get a job at Red Hat or Citrix for that very reason. All the HR folks I know at most of the more desirable firms have hundreds of apps for every position that's remotely general. Niche stuff might be easier to get in without knowing at least one or two employees. You should network. Who do you know here? Do you know anyone who knows anyone here?

Use your network.

Repay the favor later.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:55 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,484,764 times
Quote:
We have that here, too. It's hell to get a job at Red Hat or Citrix for that very reason. All the HR folks I know at most of the more desirable firms have hundreds of apps for every position that's remotely general. Niche stuff might be easier to get in without knowing at least one or two employees. You should network. Who do you know here? Do you know anyone who knows anyone here?

Use your network.

Repay the favor later.
Perhaps the influx will stop soon and folks will take the media hypes for this area with a lot more than a grain of salt.

The safety net is a sick joke, so do not become unemployed here,

Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 AM

30 posts, read 45,750 times
I wouldn't discount the contract work. If you are trying to build a resume then getting the experience in contract work might help. Also, I have heard of several occasions where contract work turns into full time work. It's a good way to build a reference base and network in the industry if you are starting out. Worked in IT for years and have seen many a contractor extended for a good portion of time. It's a good foot in the door if you are between jobs and keeps your skill set growing without gaps in your resume. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary